Willing to split 50/50 if you help sell script!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willing to split 50/50 if you help sell script!

Hello, how is everyone doing? I have a WGA registered horror script complete and ready to go. I've got a few requests and positive feedback from the few people I have talked with. The script is very original and has endless possibilities. I'm willing to split the script sale 50/50 if someone has a connection and could get rid of this. So, say we got a 100k we both would get 50k (wishful thinking)! I would send you the script so you could take a look and maybe suggest helpful changes or improvements. I would love to sell a script and have a little credibility when I talk with agents or managers. I'm definitely willing to sign a contract or whatever assuring you would get your money. I don't want someone emailing or quering everyone under the sun. There is pretty much nothing you have to do other than know someboby. This could benefit both of us and maybe make us some money in this horrible economy. Thanks!

Re: Willing to split 50/50 if you help sell script!

you would have to be willing to allow the possibility of a total rewrite of your project, so that both names on it would be legit for both writers. I myself would not want to slap my name on something just to sell it (the Dick Clark stamp on released recordings type of deal)
    "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

I'll option your script for $1.

Comment

I'm really surprised! I'm willing to split the profit of a script sale 50/50 and no one seems to be interested. You could make some serious cash for just using a connection but maybe no one has any connections on this site. The sad thing about it is the script is not badly written and the idea has never been made into a movie. I guess it's back to cold querying agents and managers!

Comment

Originally posted by streaker12345 View Post
          I'm really surprised! I'm willing to split the profit of a script sale 50/50 and no one seems to be interested. You could make some serious cash for just using a connection but maybe no one has any connections on this site. The sad thing about it is the script is not badly written and the idea has never been made into a movie. I guess it's back to cold querying agents and managers!
          Hell -- I offered a dollar option. Do you accept Paypal? I'll even go above the paypal fee to insure you receive the full dollar.

I think a majority of the members here "Have connections". Too many people focus on their own material and don't have time to piggy back a co-writer. Writers who do write with other people, I assume build that relationship over time, either at work/school/etc, and not through an "ad" online.

Posts similar to yours are frowned upon by some professionals as a clear sign of desperation. If you do email everyone "under the sun", just don't add in your query letter, "I want to make this into a film so bad, I will give you 40% commission!".

Comment

Just curious. What's the genre of the script? Also, why do you believe it will sell if managers or agents haven't scooped it up yet? Don't be offended, I'm just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker12345 View Post
              Connections are like gold.

People guard them with their lives.

It takes a LOT OF HARD WORK and tonnes of networking to make them, and nobody gives them up to "just anybody".

That's awesome you have a completed script that you think will go places, but you can't expect to just "find" someone who is willing to help you sell it.

You've got to put the hard work into it yourself, first.

Can you not work towards making some connections on your own?

I do have to say, though, that your type of post is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Being a successful writer is 50% talent, and 50% drive and determination to reach your goals.

Writing the script was the easy step, promoting is the hardest. This type of post tells me the writer just wants a quick sale, with some quick cash, without putting the hard work into it.

Definitely not for me, but good luck in your quest.
              il faut d'abord durer

Comment

This is great!

Let me get on the phone with my agents and manager. You know the reps that I worked FOR YEARS to get....the reps that responded to MY voice and signed ME because of it....the reps who've worked their a$$es off to introduce me to producers and studio execs....the reps that are prepping to take MY latest spec out....the spec I've worked MY a$$ off on for the past several months. I imagine the conversation will go something like this.

ME
                Hey, thanks for taking a few minutes out of your valuable time. I have great news!

REPS
                Cool. Did you get good news on the project that A list producer is packaging for you?

ME
                No, no, screw that. That's small potatoes compared to this. There's this person, ya know, this anonymous person from this screenwriting message board....

REPS
                Yeah, that's great. Listen we have a meeting to...

ME
                No, no, wait. Hear me out. This anonymous person...well he or she has written a horror script. Before you say horror is dead just know that this person has gotten a few positive responses from some pals on this horror script and even better, he or she is willing to let me have 50% of the sale! So, who cares about the fact that the script isn't in my voice?! Who cares if it's outside of the genre you guys have worked hard to brand me in?! Damn the freakin' torpedoes. Screw the years of work I've put in. Who cares if we're on the cusp of a sale and/or a produced movie....let's reverse field and go all in with this unknown. That's the thing to do. What you guys think.

Silence from the other end.

ME
                Guys?

More silence.

ME
                Are you there???? Guys????

And you know what, if I hit my "connections- with a load of crap like the above they WOULDN'T be there. They'd be gone for good. Your "offer- is an insult to every true screenwriter putting sweat and gristle into launching their own career. Making connections is part of the game. Make you own connections or punch the clock now.

Best you learn this tough lesson now.
                "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Bad idea.
                  Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 03-13-2009, 11:01 PM.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I really didn't think this was that big of a deal. I have no problem sending out queries and doing the leg work. I just thought maybe someone might be interested in making money for just referring a script to somebody. The person would take a look at the script first and if they thought it was good enough pass it along. I personally don't care who this email bothers and if someone does have a connection but "worked so hard to get it" is an idiot for passing up a chance at money for doing nothing! I guarantee this script will sell and I'll let you know when it does.

Comment

Never mind the fact that I have never, ever read a decent script by a person who can't write a clear, snappy, properly-punctuated message board post. Sorry, but you can just tell who can write and who can't, even in a casual setting.

Sure, I know there are those (invariably lazy, illiterate people whose message board posts are riddled with spelling and punctuation errors) who say they can't be bothered writing properly in this sort of forum, but who claim to bring their A game "when it counts."

But I don't believe them -- not for a second. You're either a writer all the time, or you aren't. A talented opera singer doesn't default to singing off-key in the shower. Singing on-key comes naturally if she has talent. She still has to work to achieve excellence, but competence is a given.

Comment

Working...
                      X