No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Page

Originally posted by PAGE Awards View Post
    Sorry it's taken me a while to discover this thread. Thanks to Clint for posting this reply!

Our system may seem a bit confusing, I know... To clarify, we always advance approximately the top 10% in each category (including tie scores) to the Quarter-Finals. So, because some scripts are entered in multiple categories, roughly the top 13% of scripts entered in the contest actually end up advancing to the QFs. (6364/821)

Bottom line, at this stage of the contest we want to give our QF Judges the chance to review as many promising scripts as possible, and we want to give as many writers as possible a shot at advancing to the Semi-Finals.

Hope that makes sense!

Best regards,
    Jen
    Thanks for joining the discussion. Just out of curiosity, what do you think the top 10% did right to get into the quarter finals? (i.e. what were the judges consistently saying about scripts that made it.) What's it going to take to make the cut to the semis?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      What do you think the judges were looking at that distinguished the quarter finalists from the rest? What round do reps and producers start paying attention?
      The answer to this question is complicated, of course. Our judges all score the scripts based on our standard judging procedure, which you can view here:

https://pageawards.com/the-contest/judging-procedure/

However, within those parameters, every judge has his or her own unique tastes and preferences. So, in the ranks of the Quarter-Finalists you will find scripts that the judges liked for various reasons:

Because the concept is unique and exciting.
      Because the story is extremely funny or frightening or intriguing.
      Because the script is well plotted and well paced.
      Because the themes of the story are very powerful.
      Because the characters are great "actor-bait."
      Because the dialogue is fresh and sharp and real.
      Because the script deeply moved them or scared them or made them laugh out loud.
      Or some combination of the above.

But as you know, it's very hard to "do it all" when you're writing a screenplay, and most of the Quarter-Finalist scripts also have some big flaws, which the judges have also noted. This is why we always encourage you to keep developing and refining your screenplay, even after you've entered the contest, and this is why we give our Semi-Finalists the chance to submit their latest and greatest draft for the final two rounds of judging. We want to give you the opportunity to put your best foot forward for our top judges, and we want to give them the chance to read your very best work.

Re your second question: Reps and producers start judging for us in the Semi-Final Round of competition. Most of the scripts they really like will end up advancing to the Finals, but in the past some Semi-Finalists that didn't advance still ended up getting optioned or signed by judges who read their scripts in the Semi-Final Round of competition, and we've also had some of the Quarter-Final Round judges recommend scripts to their company or other producers and have seen deals made as a result. So that does happen.

And of course you can always mention in your queries to reps and producers that you've advanced however far in the contest. But as briking says, you will no doubt find you get much more interest if your script advances to the finals or wins the contest. Keep in mind that we name over 800 Quarter-Finalists and 250 Semi-Finalists in the PAGE Awards competition, and people in the industry know this. So as I'm sure you can understand, they're more likely to show interest in your script if it advances to the Final Round (top 100).

I hope that helps explain?

Congratulations to all of you who have advanced to the QFs this year, and here's wishing you the very best of luck in this next round of competition!

Best regards,
      Jen

Comment

The answer to this question is complicated, of course. Our judges all score the scripts based on our standard judging procedure, which you can view here:

https://pageawards.com/the-contest/judging-procedure/

However, within those parameters, every judge has his or her own unique tastes and preferences. So, in the ranks of the Quarter-Finalists you will find scripts that the judges liked for various reasons:

Because the concept is unique and exciting.
        Because the story is extremely funny or frightening or intriguing.
        Because the script is well plotted and well paced.
        Because the themes of the story are very powerful.
        Because the characters are great "actor-bait."
        Because the dialogue is fresh and sharp and real.
        Because the script deeply moved them or scared them or made them laugh out loud.
        Or some combination of the above.

But as you know, it's very hard to "do it all" when you're writing a screenplay, and most of the Quarter-Finalist scripts also have some big flaws, which the judges have also noted. This is why we always encourage you to keep developing and refining your screenplay, even after you've entered the contest, and this is why we give our Semi-Finalists the chance to submit their latest and greatest draft for the final two rounds of judging. We want to give you the opportunity to put your best foot forward for our top judges, and we want to give them the chance to read your very best work.

Re your second question: Reps and producers start judging for us in the Semi-Final Round of competition. Most of the scripts they really like will end up advancing to the Finals, but in the past some Semi-Finalists that didn't advance still ended up getting optioned or signed by judges who read their scripts in the Semi-Final Round of competition, and we've also had some of the Quarter-Final Round judges recommend scripts to their company or other producers and have seen deals made as a result. So that does happen.

And of course you can always mention in your queries to reps and producers that you've advanced however far in the contest. But as briking says, you will no doubt find you get much more interest if your script advances to the finals or wins the contest. Keep in mind that we name over 800 Quarter-Finalists and 250 Semi-Finalists in the PAGE Awards competition, and people in the industry know this. So as I'm sure you can understand, they're more likely to show interest in your script if it advances to the Final Round (top 100).

I hope that helps explain?

Congratulations to all of you who have advanced to the QFs this year, and here's wishing you the very best of luck in this next round of competition!

Best regards,
        Jen
        Thanks Jen! Thanks for explaining how the judging works and demystifying the process. Most of the advice out there for contests are pretty vague, so I like reading a specific answer.

As far as the judging of the Page Awards, the Page judges have great taste.

Comment

Semis are posted. Congratulations to all!

https://pageawards.com/past-winners/...emi-finalists/

Comment

So, quarter finalists are top 10%. So, what are semi-finalists? Top 1 %? Top 3%?

Comment

https://pageawards.com/past-winners/...017-finalists/

Finalists are listed. Congrats!

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS to Jean, Michael, and any and all other DDP'ers who have advanced to the Final Round! There are some really cool scripts in the contest this year, and from what I hear from the judges, it sounds like we should have some wonderful success stories to report once all is said and done.

Sorry I missed your earlier post, Friday. Because our entries are broken down into genre categories, percentages don't really apply in the same way once we get to the Semi-Final and Final Rounds. We had over 1000 Dramas and Comedies entered in the contest this year, so when we name the top 25 or top 10 scripts, it represents a much lower percentage for those categories than, say, the Family Film or Short Film categories, which received only 400-500 entries.

Hope that helps explain!

Best regards,
                Jen

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS to Jean, Michael, and any and all other DDP'ers who have advanced to the Final Round! There are some really cool scripts in the contest this year, and from what I hear from the judges, it sounds like we should have some wonderful success stories to report once all is said and done.

Sorry I missed your earlier post, Friday. Because our entries are broken down into genre categories, percentages don't really apply in the same way once we get to the Semi-Final and Final Rounds. We had over 1000 Dramas and Comedies entered in the contest this year, so when we name the top 25 or top 10 scripts, it represents a much lower percentage for those categories than, say, the Family Film or Short Film categories, which received only 400-500 entries.

Hope that helps explain!

Best regards,
                  Jen
                  Thanks Jen - for answering my question and participating on this board. Just out of curiosity, how many judges read each entry in the semi final and final round? Did the judges like any of the scripts that didn't make the cut? How close was the competition this year? Anyhoo, you deserve a nice snack break . I know it must have been a lot of work, going through all those entries.

Comment

Thanks Jen - for answering my question and participating on this board. Just out of curiosity, how many judges read each entry in the semi final and final round? Did the judges like any of the scripts that didn't make the cut? How close was the competition this year? Anyhoo, you deserve a nice snack break . I know it must have been a lot of work, going through all those entries.
                    Thanks, Friday!

RE your questions: Two judges read the Semi-Finalists in each category (20 total) and anywhere from three to six judges read the Finalists in each category (30 total). Our Judges are invited to read scripts in whichever genre(s) they prefer, and in the Final Round quite a few of them end up reading scripts in more than one genre.

Honestly, it seems like the submissions we receive get better every year. The competition was extremely close this year in many categories, and there was definitely some disagreement among the Judges about which scripts should move forward. In fact, I just sent out contact information for at least a dozen of our Semi-Finalists to Judges who were interested in talking with them about their scripts, even though those scripts didn't end up advancing to the Finals. Pretty exciting!! One of the best parts of my job, for sure.

Best regards,
                    Jen

Comment

Jen, thanks for taking the time to check DDP and answer questions.

I have one - if judges are interested in contacting a finalist writer, do you release the contact info while their script is still being judged or wait until the winners are announced?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgialover View Post
                        Jen, thanks for taking the time to check DDP and answer questions.

I have one - if judges are interested in contacting a finalist writer, do you release the contact info while their script is still being judged or wait until the winners are announced?

Thanks again!
                        So that all of our judges have an equal shot and so that you know all of your options, we generally wait to give out contact info for our Finalists until after the Winners have been announced. These days, with all the lit managers judging the contest, often more than one manager is interested in a certain project (particularly the winning scripts), and we want you to hear from everyone who's interested before you make a decision.

That said, there have been a few cases that were somehow time-sensitive or unique where we have given a writer's contact info to a producer while the contest is still in progress. And there have been several situations where a judge "went rogue," did an internet search, and contacted and signed the writer before we officially released their contact info. We slap the judge's wrist for that, of course!

But listen, the real reason most writers enter contests like PAGE is because you're looking for representation and/or looking to get your scripts optioned, I know. So at the end of the day, whenever and however it happens, I'd say it's a win!

Best of luck to all of you who are in the Finals this year!

Cheers,
                        Jen

Comment

[QUOTE=PAGE Awards;951969]So that all of our judges have an equal shot and so that you know all of your options, we generally wait to give out contact info for our Finalists until after the Winners have been announced. These days, with all the lit managers judging the contest, often more than one manager is interested in a certain project (particularly the winning scripts), and we want you to hear from everyone who's interested before you make a decision.

I agree wholeheartedly with your reasoning! PAGE really has the writers' best interests at heart and this is one of the many reasons your competition is so highly-regarded and respected!

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks, Friday!

RE your questions: Two judges read the Semi-Finalists in each category (20 total) and anywhere from three to six judges read the Finalists in each category (30 total). Our Judges are invited to read scripts in whichever genre(s) they prefer, and in the Final Round quite a few of them end up reading scripts in more than one genre.

Honestly, it seems like the submissions we receive get better every year. The competition was extremely close this year in many categories, and there was definitely some disagreement among the Judges about which scripts should move forward. In fact, I just sent out contact information for at least a dozen of our Semi-Finalists to Judges who were interested in talking with them about their scripts, even though those scripts didn't end up advancing to the Finals. Pretty exciting!! One of the best parts of my job, for sure.

Best regards,
                            Jen
                            Thanks for cluing us in on how the cookie dough is made--very fascinating stuff. So, the judges sit around and debate over which scripts they like? Boy, would I love to be a fly on the wall for those sessions. I am glad to hear that the competition was fierce for the semi final and now final rounds---that makes placing in the semi finals and finals that much more prestigious. Have a nice weekend!

Comment

So, the judges sit around and debate over which scripts they like?
                              Ah, no, sorry if my phrasing was confusing there. They don't all sit in a room and debate. The "disagreement" I referred to was in the scores and comments they submit to us on their scorecards, where they expressed some big differences of opinion about certain scripts. With each of the judges who read the Semi-Finalists, on average, 3-4 of their top 10 favorites ended up being cut because other judges disagreed or favored other scripts.

This always happens, but it just seems like there were more extreme differences of opinion this year. I chalk it up to an improvement in the overall quality of entries we're receiving these days -- which is a credit to all of you guys!

Hope that helps clarify?

Cheers,
                              Jen

Comment

Thanks Jen,
                                That was all really interesting.
                                I was a drama semi-finalist and bummed not to make the finals but maybe for a while I'll pretend that some executive has my contact details and is about to email me....any minute now....

Comment

Working...
                                X