Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people query on weekends?

Just wondering if the weekend is a good time to send queries or do you guys mostly stick to the middle of the week? I feel that queries are more likely to get lost in the shuffle if they are in an inbox among a pile of other mails from the weekend on Monday?

Re: Do people query on weekends?

from the various podcasts i've listened to, it seems to vary a lot. some people are picky and some aren't-- they mute their phones after a certain hour and see what comes in the next day.

personally, i'd think Monday mornings are a good time to get them in, so they'll see it when they hit the office. they've probably been reading scripts all weekend and will have their own set of "conversations" they'll have for those reads, if any appealed to them or whether they're their own client's spec.

i'd say Tuesdays through mid morning Thursdays are probably times the have meetings booked for the week.

maybe hitting them up on Thursday afternoon might get you a request for the weekend read.

it's a crapshoot. send it when you can. just remember it's not personal, sometimes the timing will work to your advantage and sometimes it won't. you can't really predict that.

anyway, good luck.
    FA4
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      from the various podcasts i've listened to, it seems to vary a lot. some people are picky and some aren't-- they mute their phones after a certain hour and see what comes in the next day.

personally, i'd think Monday mornings are a good time to get them in, so they'll see it when they hit the office. they've probably been reading scripts all weekend and will have their own set of "conversations" they'll have for those reads, if any appealed to them or whether they're their own client's spec.

i'd say Tuesdays through mid morning Thursdays are probably times the have meetings booked for the week.

maybe hitting them up on Thursday afternoon might get you a request for the weekend read.

it's a crapshoot. send it when you can. just remember it's not personal, sometimes the timing will work to your advantage and sometimes it won't. you can't really predict that.

anyway, good luck.
      FA4
      You're right. No point obsessing over things we can't control!

Comment

The query that did the most for me I sent on the wkd. At least that’s how I remember it. In general I did 10-12 2-4 LA time. Tried to avoid lunch. Most yes send script to me come quickly or not at all. So I try to catch them when they have woken up and before thinking about going home. Like 3am isn’t as good as 3pm in general. Work week better than weekends. I assume most will find it annoying from non clients. But it’s just email so see what works for you.

Comment

Yeah. Never know till you try!

Comment

Just to be clear, I started with business hours LA time. Work week. Some people aren't in LA, so knowing that is helpful too.

Comment

I'll play Devils advocate and recommend that you don't do this. On the weekends, people are reading, networking, and trying to have some semblance of a life (especially if they have families). The last thing they probably want is to get bombarded by queries. Best to stick with working hours. i don't think you have any more of an advantage during down times than you do during the week, and you might be at more risk for annoying someone.

Now if you get a rep, you'll likely email or have calls on the weekends. I do with mine all the time.

Comment

IMO...

Monday morning between 7-9

or... better

Saturday morning between 7-9

Maybe Sunday too, but by Sunday they're already looking at their stack of weekend reads.

Consider this: All week they're getting slammed with emails from the business, it's chaos. Those emails don't exist on the weekend. Things quiet down. So you're not competing with that noise.
                Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

doc is 99.9% right. My post wasn't clear.

I was saying YES people do query on wkds, but I WOULD NOT recommend it either even though ironically it worked very well for me once... But I think I only did it once! I don't even know why I did! Oh wait yes, I do, I was feeling good and empowered. I sent query on Sunday, responded in minute, read it that day, offered option. It was crazy. I mean it lead to use getting repped and that producer never did make it, but it was a thrill.... so just pointing out sometimes it works. I guess it was a PRODUCER not a rep though. It was a big producer too, at least to me. Anyway, what could have been... and the pain is back! Yeah!

But I did a lot of things that aren't right and learned.

For instance, I started querying with "so and so agent liked this idea, please read" and 10 emails in the agent said "stop using my name" So I didn't think this through as I was just starting out... now it makes perfect sense and I was an idiot. But at the time, I was too excited.

Back track -- start with normal process of querying Mon-Fri 9am to 6pm time, but I did 10am to 4pm and skipped lunched myself. Also to me Tues, Wed, Thurs were best days to query. I figured too busy on Monday and asleep, and Friday already done.

Comment

Ain't it funny how we all have different approaches. LOL

Whatever works I guess.

I did recently email a big producer on a Saturday morning (I didn't realize it was Sat) and he got back to me 3 minutes later. So...? IDK man...

As for my rep, I almost never email him after 5pm Friday until Monday morning... I figure he's prolly busy with docgonozo. haha!

Comment

For agents, 10:30 am has always been a weird sweet spot for me.

For managers, between 10 and 10:30 or between 3pm and 3:30 pm has great Ben me the best results.

But really I think it's all luck. You need to catch the right person at just the right time and there's really no way of knowing.

Comment

I guess the real question is: HOW THE FUKK DO YOU GET READ BY PEOPLE WHO ***DO NOT*** WANT TO READ ***ANYTHING***!

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by JS90 View Post
                          For agents, 10:30 am has always been a weird sweet spot for me.

For managers, between 10 and 10:30 or between 3pm and 3:30 pm has great Ben me the best results.

But really I think it's all luck. You need to catch the right person at just the right time and there's really no way of knowing.
                          Right. Which prob means: Meh... doesn't fukkin matter, send it whenever then cross your fingers and move on.

Comment

just remember lunches in cali start early and run late.

ever notice how some women wear shoes that are too big and some are too small? it’s a real thing... just waiting to board a flight in philly. observing the mob.
                            Last edited by finalact4; 08-24-2019, 01:38 PM.
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I will throw this out real quick in case it might help someone somewhere....

When sending out newsletters, for example, in general the best days of the week are considered to be Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Mondays people are coming off a weekend. They are stumbling back into work and trying to deal with starting the new week out. They're finishing up things they didn't complete on Friday or the weekend in some cases. Lining up what's ahead that week. Then towards the end of the week things might have piled up some. Problems might have flared up from the work week they need to focus on and address. And on Friday they are trying to wrap up any issues and simply make it to the weekend to hopefully escape all.

On Tuesdays and Weds. they are settled in some. They generally have a good idea of what's going on that week. They have put out Monday's fires. Recovered from the weekend and are back in the swing of things.

I don't query (like many of you do), but I think you might find this "rule of thumb" could help. It will not always be true, of course. There are various exceptions without question. I've received queries over the weekends and at various times during the week. But quite honestly, mid-week is best for me personally when things have settled in general. Weekend queries I'll generally reply to on Mondays. And none of this is for high-level, big stuff. Not at all. Just queries for indie projects I'm trying to work on and help people with. But still not a terrible guideline to follow.

Try what you want, of course. As folks note, you never know. But you might want to shoot for what are generally considered better odds.
                              Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 08-24-2019, 02:56 PM.
                              Will
                              Done Deal Pro
                              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                              X