Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripts at 2 Different Studios, Still No Rep

Been reading for a while but finally joined. Was hoping I could get some advice:

So I have 2 different scripts at 2 different studios. They were sent by the managers of 2 different actors I know that I've worked with before.

The first studio said they're "interested" but have a somewhat similar film coming out next year and want to see how that does before they move forward. The other script just got to the other studio so I'm not sure how that will go. I write Latino content and they sent out word that they're looking for it so I think they'll be very receptive.

So, here's my question: Do I try to get representation for myself? Or do I let this play out through their managers? I'm hearing things 2nd hand so I'm getting frustrated. And I'm worried they're making sure they are attached to act in the film.

Advice?

Re: Scripts at 2 Different Studios, Still No Rep

Originally posted by LatWriter View Post
    So, here's my question: Do I try to get representation for myself?
    Always.

Never stop. Speaking from personal experience, anytime I've taken the "let's see how this all pans out" approach, it's always led back to one place - Square 1.

The key is to keep as many different plates spinning as fast as possible. Most will fall, but eventually some will take off.

I recently met up with a guy who had gone without noticeable career progress for 10 years. And then, in the span of two months, he was repped, had sold a feature, a pilot, and was staffed. This guy had multiple bolts of lightning all strike at the same time - he cashed in on some referrals and networking, he placed in some competitions, he won a diversity fellowship - and he was able to use each of those as a momentum booster. It took ten years, but it all came together for him in two months.

In your case, I would ask the talent managers if they could refer you to any lit managers. I would also put the information in queries and start cold-emailing reps who you want to work with.

Comment

You're so right! Thanks for the advice, Bunker.

Comment

Is your script really into the Studio though, or a production company? If it's a studio, then that's pretty damn impressive (but also confusing somewhat/IMO). Either way, I would ask the Development/Producer folks who you are working with at the "studio" to recommend managers to you. They should be able to point you towards some folks who can help and maybe if you ask they can "refer" you as well. Good luck.

EJ

Comment

If you have a script at two diff studios, why not just call managers/agents and say "Hi, I'm so and so, I have Studio X and Studio Y interested in my project, they've requested it, and I'm looking for representation." ?

Comment

EJ, yes it is. The most frustrating part is that I'm hearing news from 2nd--actually 3rd--hand source since I'm not talking to their managers, only the actors.

So, I actually called the larger management companies and didn't even get past the receptionist. They gave me the query email and told me to contact them there. I then sent a "Hey! My scripts are already at X and Y place--all you have to do is take over from here . . ." No response as of yet, sorry to say.

Comment

EJ, yes it is. The most frustrating part is that I'm hearing news from 2nd--actually 3rd--hand source since I'm not talking to their managers, only the actors.

So, I actually called the larger management companies and didn't even get past the receptionist. They gave me the query email and told me to contact them there. I then sent a "Hey! My scripts are already at X and Y place--all you have to do is take over from here . . ." No response as of yet, sorry to say.
              Have you made many cold calls in your career? My suggestion is to call and ask for the person directly you want to rep you. See if you get transferred. Just say "Josh Smith" or whatever, and they usually just connect you.

When his desk picks up, say that you're looking for representation on a script that you already have had requested, and have sent over, to X and Y studios, and have the name of the people over there you have sent it to. Tell them you are looking for representation. I would try agents first. And be relentless and don't let them talk you off the phone easily.

Comment

Originally posted by mixj View Post
                Have you made many cold calls in your career?
                No, that was the first time I'd done that. Went pretty badly. I asked to speak to one of their "agents" and she replied that they didn't have any agents. Facepalm. "Managers" I stuttered. Downhill from there.

But the good news is that one of the actor's managers wants to pick me up as a client. I've read about "hip-pocketing" on here. What's the difference, how can I tell and is it a good idea?

Comment

You should flat out ask what relationship you have - and evaluate it from there.

EJ

Comment

Let me know if you have success getting repped. I'm in a similar boat with 2 scripts in development at 2 different studios (yes Studios) and struggling to find anyone to take my calls about representation.

Comment

Sounds like you need a lawyer not a rep, jk97301.

EJ

Comment

No, that was the first time I'd done that. Went pretty badly. I asked to speak to one of their "agents" and she replied that they didn't have any agents. Facepalm. "Managers" I stuttered. Downhill from there.

But the good news is that one of the actor's managers wants to pick me up as a client. I've read about "hip-pocketing" on here. What's the difference, how can I tell and is it a good idea?
                        Get on imdbpro.com and find out the name of a manager. When you call the desk ask directly for that manager. Ask like you're calling someone who should be expecting your call. They will forward you to that manager's desk. When their assistant picks up, says "Hi, this is so and so and I'm looking for representation on my script "X" that is at "Company A" and "Company B."

Try and choose someone who has sold/repped scripts similar to yours or dealt with the companies you're dealing with.

Call all over town to reputable management companies. If I can get people on the phone without having a script at two companies you can get people on the phone.

Comment

Been reading for a while but finally joined. Was hoping I could get some advice:

So I have 2 different scripts at 2 different studios. They were sent by the managers of 2 different actors I know that I've worked with before.

The first studio said they're "interested" but have a somewhat similar film coming out next year and want to see how that does before they move forward. The other script just got to the other studio so I'm not sure how that will go. I write Latino content and they sent out word that they're looking for it so I think they'll be very receptive.

So, here's my question: Do I try to get representation for myself? Or do I let this play out through their managers? I'm hearing things 2nd hand so I'm getting frustrated. And I'm worried they're making sure they are attached to act in the film.

Advice?
                          Go to www.imdbpro.com and contact agents listed there. The agents will be a lot more interested once you have a SOLID offer, but even without one you may be able to get them to read your work.
                          Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Working...
                          X