At times this Business sucks the life...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: At times this Business sucks the life...

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
    That would have never happened had I thrown that script in the trash heap because a lot of people on here say first scripts suck. Mine didn't. Yours might not, either.
    I agree with this philosophy, actually.

I am reluctant to tell people this because they think I am lying, or bragging (or both), but the second script I ever wrote scored me my first agent many years ago.

However, one can also argue it was the right script, for the right person (agent) at the right time. It probably was.

But I echo what Joe is saying about being fearless and believing in yourself when you are starting out.

At the same time, I also think my previous statement about scoring an agent, option or something of this magnitude with the very first script someone ever writes is few and far between, too. It's not a contradiction, but a generalization (the good kind) that applies to a lot of those who aren't lucky enough to have the stars align, and/or who still need to perfect their craft when all is said, and done.
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Out learn them and out live them.

Comment

This sort of thing happens all the time. I've had a couple ideas that, on the surface, closely resembled projects that were later set up. It's frustrating, but I take it as a compliment. Isn't it a good sign that you're coming up with ideas that are commercial enough to become sales/pilots/features/etc?

That's what you want. You just want to be the guy getting paid for it.

Making money from creative writing isn't an easy venture. Most people won't earn a dime. Even most of the writers who read sites like DD and put legitimate effort into learning their craft will never become working professionals. I've been at this for a few years now and I've learned at least one important lesson:

Don't write unless you enjoy it - Pretty simple. If you don't enjoy writing, don't do it. It's a tough career. You'll have a much easier time making money doing something else. If you enjoy writing, you'll have a good time with the pursuit regardless of whether or not your career takes off.

I've had my fair share of peaks and valleys over the past few years in this game. I've had brief flirtations with success and extended romances with failure. I've gone through long stretches where I've been completely unproductive. I've struggled to finish uninspired crap that I started writing mainly because I thought it would be commercial. I eventually remembered why I started doing this in the first place: because it's fun.

Now I'm writing stuff that I enjoy. If it takes off, great. If not, oh well. It's an interesting challenge and I'm having fun with it. If I wasn't getting anything out of the writing process itself, I wouldn't write.

Comment

One other little addendum:

A writer is a factory. Written works are the products he manufactures.

In order to make money, you have to have something to sell. This means you should always be working on things. You might get pipped once or twice by parallel development, but if you're constantly cranking out professional caliber stories then I have to think that you'll eventually make a breakthrough.

I think some writers make the mistake of putting all their chips in one basket. Spending two years on one script can work, but I don't think that's the best use of a writer's time. I ascribe to the Scott Rosenberg philosophy: write it, try to sell it, and move on. This process shouldn't take more than a few months.

If you get beat to the punch, oh well. There's a pretty good chance that your "take" on the concept is unique even if the concept itself isn't. If your story is too similar to be sellable after someone beats you to the punch with something similar, it can still function as a writing sample and you're not totally sunk because you didn't spend years on it.

Comment

Thanks guys, I know it's an old thread but some really inspirational stuff.

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
            I ascribe to the Scott Rosenberg philosophy: write it, try to sell it, and move on. This process shouldn't take more than a few months.
            I love this quote. It's a really encouraging message - you've finished your script and now it's time to put it down and get excited about all the other ideas lurking in your mind. It makes me happy to move on.

Comment

yes, this is an old thread, but interesting and one that will still apply 50 years from now.

But, here is another point. It does not matter WHAT business you are in, being an independent operator/worker/business person is VERY tough.

Having an ongoing operation earning you the income a consistently working screenwriter can make is IMPOSSIBLE on every rational level--which is why most people don't attempt it or quit.

Screenwriting is not unique in that respect.

Take an example; you want to break into the grocery business? You are competing for shelf space with Coke and Proctor and Gamble and Kraft. You think you are going to just waltz in and get a chance? And, if you do get a chance, they keep track of sales per inch of shelf frontage, and if your stuff doesn't measure up, you're gone.

I'm not in the grocery business, but that's a real example.

No matter what you do, unless you want to punch the clock and get hourly wages, you have to work your ass off if the result amounts to anything significant.

And, you have to keep at it.

One old trite saying goes something like this: losers stop at the first "no" they get. Winners stop at the first "yes."

Comment

I would love an analysis of regularly working screenwriters - how many scripts did they write before getting in, and how many years did they work at it prior?
                For most working screenwriters I know personally (small sample) it was one of their first few scripts in the first couple years of writing.

Which isn't scientific, and it isn't to dissuade anyone who takes a longer road.

Comment

Working...
                X