No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two films with the same title

Hi,

I'm curious about film title copywrite. Are screenplay and film titles copywrite? I've noticed one or two exaples on IMdb where two films share the same title and there's of course, 'Crash' and 'Crash'.

I've got that (teeth-grinding) situation where THE most perfect title for my screenplay already belongs to a 1994 straight-to-video production. I've always sort of assumed that the title is automatically copywrited with the screenplay or production but one or two examples I've noticed and 'Crash' have just made me wonder.

Thanks,

waterprism

Re: two films with the same title

You can't copyright a title. If the title is recently released or popular, it's a good idea to avoid it.

Comment

http://www.slate.com/default.aspx/id/2118602/

ps: use the title
      pps: do NOT waste time registering it with MPAA, impossible to protect a title out of active development.
      The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Thank you both very much. I appreciate your time.

Comment

Use the title. I've got the same exact situation (same title as a 10+ year old straight to video flick). It's getting quite a few reads right now...no one has said anything about the older movie.

Comment

You might have some problems calling your next spec Star Wars though :-)
            Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
            Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

Working...
            X