Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sicario

Good film, excellent directing and acting. Set-pieces were really well done.

I also think the change of protag is problematic. You have to adjust emotionally to a new hero, who has been pretty mysterious all the way through.

As a result the 3rd act is high on entertainment value, but less so on emotional depth.

Comment

After much delay, I finally watched this. I'm in the "meh" group. Emily's character was just too naive to be credible. The script and milieu were standard thriller fare, asking for suspension of disbelief too many times. The director's fingerprints were all over the screen a few times (particularly in the night-vision scenes). I was hoping for something a little more enlightening (maybe because I kept thinking about Traffic, a very different and much better movie). Great actors, though.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
        But yes - it had that protagonist problem and it was a big one for me. Still - this is a movie with 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.

What's fascinating to me is the interface between those who write and make movies - and hence by default also have to try to analyze what makes a movie "good" and popular and enjoyed by the masses - and the reality of what ends up being successful, and how what's considered "good" (and enjoyable for the masses) is constantly evolving and challenging those who make movies to rewrite their text books.

Anyway... those are my deep thoughts for the day. More than any recent movie I've seen Sicario got me thinking about all of the above...
        I don't think there is that much of a gap. Aside from a few bad movies (production wise, script wise, etc...) and movies that the internet despises (for... reasons), which get from 1 to 5 on imdb, most movies fall in the 6 to 8 category. Sicario is rated 7.7 on imdb, 80/100 on meta, 8/10 on rotten, which means : competent movie with a good element (here, directing).

IMHO, its not a movie for the "masses" (80 M on a 30 M Budget, without P&A) but a movie for middle-class neo-bourgeois "cinephiles" : it's empty but it looks profound, it's slow paced, so it must be good, not much dialogue, so it's a "movie"(cause in film schools, you learn that a good movie is a movie without much dialogues).

Comment

Originally posted by Jiminho View Post
          it's empty but it looks profound
          Couldn't have said it better myself. Now "Traffic", that's a drug war movie with depth.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Working...
          X