Re: Dumb Idea?

Sure.

Comment

Sure? Lost me.
      DOPE CITY

Comment

The question becomes: is this decision (to not take out a script) because of execution or is this decision because of content/concept?

Agents do like easy sells. Agents also label you based on what spec they sign you with. Agents a part of a certain system and culture that does things certain ways.

This is where I feel a disconnect between creators and that culture:

1. We know most scripts don't get bought, let alone made. Even the big commercial stuff you come up with is going to have a tough time competing with existing I.P. So IMHO, I feel write what you love/ what inspires is going to be more satisfying and a more effective representation of your skill.

If you *organically* come up with a great "commercial" idea and can execute it well, great. But...

2. You can't fake good. The people that are really good at "commercial" stuff actually believe in that stuff. They aren't market-chasing. They are fans of the said genre and know it inside out. If you are a tourist, you can't compete in their world. You just can't.

3. We loathe the business already. Loathing the work too is just too much loathing.

So OP - I would tell your rep that you respect their decision but also, understand their decision. They are trying to protect what they think is your brand. If however, you believe in the script, work on getting it done through independent channels. Just let them know your plan. And know to expect no help from your agent.

Putting it up under a different name seems weird to me though, and I think down the road it would seem weird to any producer who expressed interest.

To those who have yet to be repped - ask yourself of your work - does this work organically represent what kind of movies and shows I see myself doing. Because once you have that agent, they will push you for that stuff. Ultimately I think it could be easier to switch agents than it is to switch genres with agent who has already labelled you. Again, JMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
          The question becomes: is this decision (to not take out a script) because of execution or is this decision because of content/concept?
          In my case it was concept. Too small. Too strange. Actually maybe a bit of both. Actually, the concept itself [bare bones: A guy does X then Y = ?] could be a small commercial film, but there was no way to turn my script into that.

So IMHO, I feel write what you love/ what inspires is going to be more satisfying and a more effective representation of your skill.
          Agreed. Thing is, my style [what inspires me] has changed since getting repped the first time. The scope is bigger, purely because I find it most interesting today. Said another way, I learned how to fit my voice into a larger format.

2. You can't fake good. The people that are really good at "commercial" stuff actually believe in that stuff. They aren't market-chasing. They are fans of the said genre and know it inside out. If you are a tourist, you can't compete in their world. You just can't.
          +1

So OP - I would tell your rep that you respect their decision but also, understand their decision. They are trying to protect what they think is your brand. If however, you believe in the script, work on getting it done through independent channels. Just let them know your plan. And know to expect no help from your agent.
          Yep, exactly that. They're trying to protect what my brand is becoming. They don't want to confuse people and remind them of what it used to be. I get it.

To those who have yet to be repped - ask yourself of your work - does this work organically represent what kind of movies and shows I see myself doing. Because once you have that agent, they will push you for that stuff. Ultimately I think it could be easier to switch agents than it is to switch genres with agent who has already labelled you. Again, JMHO.
          There's definitely that angle. I came in with two competing genres. Action vs Drama. I think that confused them. I like both. To that end, it's maybe best if you do well in a couple genres to present that so you aren't coming in down the road looking like you'd like to try something un-branded.
          DOPE CITY

Comment

Working...
          X