Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Oscar Nominations

Any surprises for you guys? James Franco not getting a Best Actor nomination for The Disaster Artist was a bit of a surprise for me. Same thing goes for Denzel Washington getting one for Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Shape of Water seems like the clear favorite for best picture. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Re: 2018 Oscar Nominations

I've watched three of the nominated movies.

"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2", "Kong: Skull Island" and tonight on Netflix, "The Boss Baby". So -- basically -- three cartoons.

"Kong: Skull Island" had some impressive visual effects, but it kept doing the same thing over and over and over again. (By the way they had one fairly small, boat -- where the hell did all those helicopters come from? Wouldn't it have been just as impressive to destroy five instead of fifty?)

So it's down to "The Boss Baby" vs "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2".

Guardians wins by a soundtrack.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
      Shape of Water seems like the clear favorite for best picture. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?
      I like a lot of what Guillermo del Toro does. I've got this weird attraction to see "The Shape of Water", but when it comes right down to it, I watch the trailers again, and can't get over the creep factor.

But like a moth drawn to the flame, I'll probably see it eventually.
      "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
        I've watched three of the nominated movies.

"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2", "Kong: Skull Island" and tonight on Netflix, "The Boss Baby". So -- basically -- three cartoons.

"Kong: Skull Island" had some impressive visual effects, but it kept doing the same thing over and over and over again. (By the way they had one fairly small, boat -- where the hell did all those helicopters come from? Wouldn't it have been just as impressive to destroy five instead of fifty?)

So it's down to "The Boss Baby" vs "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2".

Guardians wins by a soundtrack.

Haven't seen Skull Island yet, but Guardians felt too shiny and CG for me. I really thought Wonder Woman was going to get a nod in one of the technical categories. The production design and visuals were especially strong in the first twenty minutes or so. It was a critical and commercial success but I never saw a Best Picture nomination as something within reach.

A couple of people were surprised Boss Baby was nominated but not Lego Batman. Haven't seen either.

Comment

Originally posted by StoryWriter View Post
          I like a lot of what Guillermo del Toro does. I've got this weird attraction to see "The Shape of Water", but when it comes right down to it, I watch the trailers again, and can't get over the creep factor.

But like a moth drawn to the flame, I'll probably see it eventually.
          Same. Huge fan of his work and I can dig a story about star-crossed lovers, but trailers haven't pulled me in. I understand why a lonely outsider could fall for Mr. Fish Man, but the cynic in me has a hard time believing that a trapped and tortured creature's most pressing concern is romance.

Comment

Any surprises for you guys? James Franco not getting a Best Actor nomination for The Disaster Artist was a bit of a surprise for me. Same thing goes for Denzel Washington getting one for Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Not too surprised about Franco in Disaster Artist, even though he put in a fine turn on the boards. IMHO, the story choice itself wasn't a high enough mark for the nomination.

Saw The Shape of Water. It was almost fantastic. It seemed to try too hard to be a fairy tale while balancing a serious tone about evil forces. The voiceover was unnecessary (as V.O.s almost always are); it disappeared after the first part of the film and didn't return for a long time. When it did, it was a forgotten element to the audience and its reappearance took some out of the story momentarily (murmurs about the “why” of it).

Also hard to swallow was a fish-man dancing in what's obviously a rubber suit ('though they tried hard to focus on her in that dream sequence). It must have been tough on the guy in the suit, but the suit needed that “fish-mucous sheen” to complete the illusion they were going for.

As for the romance, he was in it for the eggs, man. I came away calling the movie “Dances With Fishes.”
            Last edited by Clint Hill; 01-24-2018, 03:58 PM.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
              Not too surprised about Franco in Disaster Artist, even though he put in a fine turn on the boards. IMHO, the story choice itself wasn't a high enough mark for the nomination.

Saw The Shape of Water. It was almost fantastic. It seemed to try too hard to be a fairy tale while balancing a serious tone about evil forces. The voiceover was unnecessary (as V.O.s almost always are); it disappeared after the first part of the film and didn't return for a long time. When it did, it was a forgotten element to the audience and its reappearance took some out of the story momentarily (murmurs about the "why- of it).

Also hard to swallow was a fish-man dancing in what's obviously a rubber suit ('though they tried hard to focus on her in that dream sequence). It must have been tough on the guy in the suit, but the suit needed that "fish-mucous sheen- to complete the illusion they were going for.

As for the romance, he was in it for the eggs, man. I came away calling the movie "Dances With Fishes.-
              Dancing fish-man? Maybe it would help if I imagined Shape of Water as an Abe Sapien prequel.

Comment

Dancing fish-man? Maybe it would help if I imagined Shape of Water as an Abe Sapien prequel.
                Very close, amigo, very close indeed.

Comment

For the second time, I saw The Disaster Artist today. It's a well-crafted film, and there's no doubt that everyone on the film above and below the line helped to make it land and make it land well, too. Even though I stand by my take on it here and over on the other “Films” thread, it's a fine, fun film and worth the price of admission (in my case, twice). My opinion, though, is only that, and like a uvula, everyone has one. (Oh, Gilda! I, we, miss you!)
                  Last edited by Clint Hill; 01-29-2018, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I've seen most of the nominated films. If I were voting, Shape of Water would be my first choice and Three Billboards second.

For me, the biggest snub was Andy Serkis in War for the Planet of the Apes. He should have been recognized as Best Actor.

Late Night Writer

Comment

LEGO Batman was the best Batman film I've ever seen. I didn't see Boss Baby, as I no longer have kids in that demographic, but from the trailers it didn't look Oscar worthy. Although - what is the criteria for best animated film? How much of it is about the animation vs the story? Incredibles 2 is going to win next year, I know that much.

Comment

Any surprises for you guys?

I was surprised Jake Gyllenhaal didn't get one for Stronger. That was a great performance.

I saw Shape of Water and thought it was okay. I'm shocked it's leading the pack of Oscar nominations, though. There seems to be no break-out movie this year, imo, because that didn't do it for me.

Anyone see Phantom Thread? Did you like it? I have a feeling Daniel Day-Lewis will win if this is his last performance.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                          Anyone see Phantom Thread? Did you like it? I have a feeling Daniel Day-Lewis will win if this is his last performance.
                          I've just seen Phantom Thread and it is absolutely worth every one of the six Oscar nominations it has received and deserves many more. It's far and away the best-written and all around best-crafted film on the Oscar nominations list. It's one of the best “Writer/Director” films I've seen.

Between “Best Picture” nominations Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Shape of Water, and Phantom Thread, the Phantom Thread story is thoroughly sensible and complete, has the most intriguing reversals, and lands at movie's end without any questions whatsoever left unanswered.
                          Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-10-2018, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. I liked Shape of Water and Three Billboards best. Phantom Thread is at the bottom of my list.

Comment

Working...
                            X