Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit and Run question

Any legal eagles out there? I'm working on something where someone flees the scene of a hit and run. The person did not do the "hitting" so to speak, but fled the scene. What are the consequences/ prison time (?)??

Thanks a zillion, guys!
    HL

Re: Hit and Run question

Originally posted by HLTassin View Post
    Any legal eagles out there? I'm working on something where someone flees the scene of a hit and run. The person did not do the "hitting" so to speak, but fled the scene. What are the consequences/ prison time (?)??

Thanks a zillion, guys!
    Several different laws could apply here depending on the state, especially if the other party or even the friend's driver was injured.
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

Code7, thanks! The driver was alone, and an oncoming car did the "hitting". However, a few innocent pedestrians were killed. Let's say a southern state like Louisiana. Also, my driver is not totally clear on what happened....but he panics and flees.

Thoughts?
      HL

Comment

Originally posted by HLTassin View Post
        Code7, thanks! The driver was alone, and an oncoming car did the "hitting". However, a few innocent pedestrians were killed. Let's say a southern state like Louisiana. Also, my driver is not totally clear on what happened....but he panics and flees.

Thoughts?
        Could be either a misd or felony charge for leaving the scene of an accident and not rendering aid to others.

He can also flee and call 911 for help. Like, he was being chased, in fear of his life, but he still had compassion for those injured or killed, etc...
        "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

Did he hit anyone, or did he just witness an accident & then left the scene without helping? If it's the latter, there might not be any penalty unless the witness is an off-duty police officer or medical professional, in which case they might have professional consequences.

Some places have Good Samaritan laws that could apply. But just lay out the whole scenario; if he didn't do the "hitting," what did he do?
          "Witticism"
          -Some Guy

Comment

Sent you both PM's with "scenerio"...thanks again for your help !
            HL

Comment

Returned PM

Comment

this was used in the series finally of seinfeld - their plane landed in rhode island (i think) - a state where it is against the law to not administer aid or call the police when you see a crime. the wacky 4 laughed as a fat man was car jacked and were later charged and found guilty. being from nyc, they didn't think it was a crime. so, do your research. it's a state by state law.

Comment

Working...
                X