Idris Elba: The First Black James Bond???

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Idris Elba: The First Black James Bond???

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
    You're asking what would have to be changed when you've already changed the main character. You're saying that the biggest aspect of the character has been changed, but... the movie is still exactly the same? Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Replace the Mona Lisa with another woman and it's the same painting? It's a woman smiling at us, after all.
    Did you honestly just compare a Bond movie with the Mona Lisa.

Bond isn't about heritage. Not anymore. He's about attitude and behaviour. He's a rich, arrogant arsehole who treats women like crap and has more money than god. A role that could just as easily be played by a black dude as a white dude. Sadly. Hell, he was played by a freaking Australian, a bloke descended from convicts - hardly aristocracy or the old English gentleman - and while it didn't play well, it's still intrinsically recognisable as a Bond movie.

It's about arrogance and sexism. Which is fine, though not my cup of tea. Importantly, however, this is not the exclusive domain of white culture. It is universally available in all cultures. So have at it. Same, same in my mind.

(There is nothing "gentlemanly" about James Bond. Nothing at all.)
    sigpic

Website
    Tweets
    Book

Comment

Another Done Deal classic!

And this thread is only just warming up...

Comment

I heard they might cast Ron Jeremy as James Boned. Now that would be a classic.
        If you really like it you can have the rights
        It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

In on page 28.

Cliffs?
          Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

<---Roger Moore Bond Girl

Each actor who's played Bond has put his own stink on 007 (as has each era), and each has taken some **** for replacing the guy before him. I'd love to see Elba as Bond.

Given the anonymity here, the setting of several isolated strangers from points unknown (place, age, IQ, life experience, articulation skills) having a deconstructed conversation, it isn't a shock to see the bulk of this thread is a bunch of people repeating themselves. Debate is no friend to movement.

Closed.
            Last edited by sarajb; 11-05-2012, 05:06 AM.
            Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Working...
            X