About to embark on my Directing Debut...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to embark on my Directing Debut...

T-10 days and counting until we start filming my American/Bollywood Feature. It will be my first time directing a feature and from a script that I wrote to boot (Story by another writer and me, script my me). It's all very exciting.

I was often asked why I bothered directing my shorts. That it was so much money to spend on producing the short and then spending money on sending them off to festivals and such. Some would say it's all a big waste of time with nothing showing for it at the end.

But for me it was always worth it. Just writing feature scripts and sending them out to producers and agents and hearing back silence was never enough for me.

On a side note...

I came close to selling my first script. 5 years after writing it. I was contacted by a Producer who loved the script. I flew down to L.A. from San Francisco, had a great visit with my folks, ,then went and met the producer. We talked about the rewrite he wanted and which actor he wanted to play the lead. His lips were forming how much he wanted to pay me... Then... Then... his producing partner walked in and was annoyed (I could tell) that the other Producer had contacted me without both Producers agreeing to the meeting, let alone the script. I got a thank you and a "we'll be in touch". Then all I got was silence. Now all of these years later, that same script is in my hard drive only taken out for when I need a sample to send.

Anyway...

So I starting directing my own shorts so I could at least see something I wrote get produced and scene by the dozens of people who would show up to a festival. I would tell myself that short directing was a training ground for the dream of getting the skills to direct a feature.

I told myself this for years. 7 shorts in total. Each one I get better and better. Along the way I would meet up with local producers who were looking for a writer to develop a story, write a feature or develop outlines for a T.V. series. None of which ever took off. But I was never discouraged when the money or the enthusiasm of the producers subsided and the project fell through. I never got mad or screamed at them, as was happening in my head. I just knew my time would come one day.

As it happens, one of the Producers I had worked with and whose project had stalled was talking to a friend of his who was looking for a writer to write an American/Bollywood story. My Producer recommended me and I eventually got the gig.

Then that Producer saw my latest short, one that was the most expensive one to date, and loved it. He offered me the director gig too.

So, now a little more than a year after I got the initial phone call, I am primed to direct this bad boy. I have brought along my DP friend who did 3 of my shorts along with other crew I have worked with before. We are almost ready.

All of the indie skills we have all developed will come into play on this low budget feature.

My dream of directing is finally about to happen. After many years of writing and directing, taking classes at UCLA Online Screenwriting and taking directing classes, it is all about to pay off -- I am hoping. Directing a short is a far cry from a feature, but I am prepared.

I'm not sure I will be able to talk about the production until after the edit -- to protect the innocent and the guilty, but I will try to mentioned a few things as they happened, or did happen.

I did almost the whole casting myself and that experience alone I could write a book on.

So all keep the faith and don't let the naysayers creep into your head. It's always better to be a dreamer than a realist. Until the time when reality comes into play and that is why we have accountants and lawyers...
    Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Re: About to embark on my Directing Debut...

Had to post. Great work. Keep it going. Great state of mind. I've learned more about writing by making the films, and you don't realize it until after you finish.

And we need naysayers as our devil's advocate. Just store up on salt. Keep your wits.

Again, much respect. I hope the film excels.
    Being a screenwriter is not enough for a full creative life. ~ William Goldman

homeslice

Comment

Going down the same path, hope to have filmed my first short this year.

Just sitting behind a computer and typing was never my thing.

The best feeling in the world is to write your own work, and then direct it exactly as you visioned it.

Keep up the good fight and don't forget the little people.

Comment

Got get 'em Carlos. I've seen your work and you've earned this shot. Wishing you all the best.

Comment

Good on you, Carlos. Looking forward to seeing it when it's done. (You'll make sure we can, won't you?)

Good luck!
          sigpic

Website
          Tweets
          Book

Comment

Break a leg! (and hope you got good insurance!)

Comment

Congrats, and good luck!

HH

Comment

Congrats! Let us know when we can see it.

Comment

Hey Carlos -- congrats to you and thanks for the great post. Your experience and your point are dead on. I was lucky enough to sell my third script in July, after writing for five years (my first script got optioned in 2007). But I have learned a lot from the producer-director who bought my script back in July -- and what he has taught me is that "Hollywood" is largely a dead-end for writers ... that even if you do sell a script, even to a studio, the likelihood of it ever getting made are about zero. AND he also stressed the point that a typical experience today is to have your script ruined by extensive rewriting by others, over which you have little or no control.
                  SO, as a result, I took a big chunk of the $$$ I got for my script and bought all of the equipment I need to make features (cameras, pro audio gear, lighting equipment, editing and post-production software and a tricked out video editing computer, you name it). I now have everything I need to be a walking mini-prodco and I am starting shooting on my first film in December and planning to finish it in 60 days.
                  To me, the key point is that by directing rather than just writing, we can control our own destiny. And the rapidly changing distribution landscape, with digiital and VOD platforms, means that low-budget films can find an audience and even make money.
                  And anybody, dependent only on talent and ambition, and no lomnger limited by "access," can make Hollywood-quality films today on equipment they own for about $25,000, which is just amazing to me. Technology has changed the game -- to our benefit.
                  So, my hat's off to you for what you're doing, and I hope both of us will be among the ranks of "acclaimed new wrirer-directors" in 2013!
                  For now, congrats again. You should be very proud.

Comment

Congrats, enjoy, kudos! I produced/directed one of my short scripts, and it was a great experience. What you said -- about it not being enough to send stuff out and wait, wait, wait. So liberating. We even won an Indie! All writers should direct, if they're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                      Hey Carlos -- congrats to you and thanks for the great post. Your experience and your point are dead on. I was lucky enough to sell my third script in July, after writing for five years (my first script got optioned in 2007). But I have learned a lot from the producer-director who bought my script back in July -- and what he has taught me is that "Hollywood" is largely a dead-end for writers ... that even if you do sell a script, even to a studio, the likelihood of it ever getting made are about zero. AND he also stressed the point that a typical experience today is to have your script ruined by extensive rewriting by others, over which you have little or no control.
                      SO, as a result, I took a big chunk of the $$$ I got for my script and bought all of the equipment I need to make features (cameras, pro audio gear, lighting equipment, editing and post-production software and a tricked out video editing computer, you name it). I now have everything I need to be a walking mini-prodco and I am starting shooting on my first film in December and planning to finish it in 60 days.
                      To me, the key point is that by directing rather than just writing, we can control our own destiny. And the rapidly changing distribution landscape, with digiital and VOD platforms, means that low-budget films can find an audience and even make money.
                      And anybody, dependent only on talent and ambition, and no lomnger limited by "access," can make Hollywood-quality films today on equipment they own for about $25,000, which is just amazing to me. Technology has changed the game -- to our benefit.
                      So, my hat's off to you for what you're doing, and I hope both of us will be among the ranks of "acclaimed new wrirer-directors" in 2013!
                      YES. Kudos to you!!

Comment

Originally posted by jtwg50 View Post
                        THIS!

That was exactly my plan, but instead of buying equipment I'll rent it out for a week or two.

Make your own destiny instead of sending E-Mails after E-Mails after E-Mails begging people to read your stuff.

Comment

Congratulations to cmmora, and best of luck with your production.

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                          Make your own destiny instead of sending E-Mails after E-Mails after E-Mails begging people to read your stuff.
                          I'm all for chasing dreams and making your own destiny, but most people finish their independent film and then find themselves sending e-mail after e-mail and begging people to watch it. This year Sundance got 4,042 feature film submissions and screened 112 films (representing 29 countries). In the weeks after the festival 24 films were bought by distributors. Eight for more than two million, the rest for less. Those eight films all starred people who you would recognize on a poster and almost all had been written by previously credited writers.

My point? If you want to be a director, it's true that there has never been a time where you can make a film that looks professional for less money. But the competition is brutal. And if you want to stand out of the pack, you need material that either attracts name actors or is just so damn brilliant that it shines on its own. Is that easier than writing a script that gets the attention of an agent? I doubt it--in fact, I bet a script with those elements would have gotten you attention. And it won't cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars to create.

Direct if you need to direct. If that's the only thing that will creatively satisfy you. But don't do it as a shortcut to a career because that's insane.

Comment

None of it is easy. Congrats, cmora, and thanks for reminding me that it's a journey.

Comment

Yo Carlitos.

That is so cool and sounds rewarding as to what you seek. Keep the great attitude and the sky is the limit! Fly brother, fly!

Comment

Working...
                              X