How did a "first time" screenwriter end up writing a Tom Cruise movie?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did a "first time" screenwriter end up writing a Tom Cruise movie?

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
    How does me pointing out facts make me "bitter"? Why is okay for you to slap labels on people (first, I might add) and not the other way around?

Lucas and One Crazy Summer were released 5 months apart. There's no way of knowing which was put into production first or cast first. Nitpicking, I know, but that seems to be all the rage here.

Again, there are many ways into the business. I don't care if someone blows a studio head to get a job. Good for them. I wasn't passing judgement (even though many people here wrongly assumed I was), just stating facts.

I have nothing to say to that.
    You're not just pointing out facts. You're taking facts and trying to show a direct correlation or causality that is not present in the facts alone. That's why I assumed you have some ax to grind.

I look at the same facts and see that you may be right - but I don't think these facts offer enough empirical evidence to jump to conclusions. Also, you seem to ignore all other facts that may offer more full-bodied explanations of these people's careers in favor of the one that suits your argument.

By the way, I never slapped a label on you. I suggested an alternative title to the thread. You grabbed the label and wore it.

Anyway... I'm going to go ty to make some famous friends so I actually have a chance at breaking into this biz.

But... I'll cop to labeling you "weird." Because this whole argument is just that.
    Last edited by ihavebiglips; 07-01-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I have nothing to say to that.
      Weren't you eaten by a shark?

If only life could imitate art once again.
      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
        Weren't you eaten by a shark?

If only life could imitate art once again.
        OH SNAP SON!

ZING!

Comment

I think this has dragged on long enough. Time to pull back the curtain.

kinterboy, the reason Patrick O'Neill got the gig was because he is a STONECUTTER!!!!

And so is everybody else on this board.

Except you...
          "Only nothing is impossible."
          - Grant Morrison

Comment

I'm not quite getting some people's POV on Friends and First Jobs. (Or later jobs, for that matter.)

It's just the natural way of things.

When friends help friends get work in Entertainment, they're just doing the same thing people do in the Normal World, where they call it a "Professional Reference" -- or even a "Personal Reference".

Besides, Talent recognizes Talent.

Here's a quote from a Speechwriter-Screenwriter I know:

"The thing about writing is talent is its own business card. 50% of all people who want to write are incompetent and they know it, and so they do it for fun or as a hobby. 49% of all people who think they can write are incompetent and either don't know it or they do and make up all sorts of bullshit excuses and stories for this that and the other thing why they're so close but not making any money at it. What makes Hollywood so hard is that 49% is actually a few million scripts a year of absolute bullshit you have to fight your way through.

Maybe 1 in 100 would-be writers are actually good enough to make money at it, and not only do they know it, anyone who comes into contact with them knows it, too. Technical writers recognize other technical writers by the linear construction of their explanations. Fiction writers recognize other fiction writers by the way they tell a story. Copywriters recognize other copywriters because they speak in 30 or 45 second clips. Speechwriters recognize other speechwriters by the cadence and pacing of their language."
            Last edited by Travis Fields; 07-01-2010, 12:48 PM. Reason: trimmed a tad

Comment

1) How come no one is mentioning Cusack's sister... how did she get into the business, huh? Oh, wait... she was an actress before John started working.

2) Piven is the son of Chicago's top acting teacher... and Cusack took classes there. So Piven probably had something to do with getting Cusack into the biz, instead of the other way around.

3) And I do not know if these other co-horts went to the Piven School, but if they did - they were all serious actors in Chicago (which is why they went to the Piven School).

But the real answer is - when you are all part of some group of friends and one member makes it, they try to help the others in the group. Because that is what nice people do.

Get yourself some friends.

And by focusing on KNIGHT & DAY you are missing COLLATERAL... spec script from someone who did not live in the USA that became Tom Cruise movie directed by Michael Mann.

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                1) How come no one is mentioning Cusack's sister... how did she get into the business, huh? Oh, wait... she was an actress before John started working.

2) Piven is the son of Chicago's top acting teacher... and Cusack took classes there. So Piven probably had something to do with getting Cusack into the biz, instead of the other way around.

3) And I do not know if these other co-horts went to the Piven School, but if they did - they were all serious actors in Chicago (which is why they went to the Piven School).

But the real answer is - when you are all part of some group of friends and one member makes it, they try to help the others in the group. Because that is what nice people do.

Get yourself some friends.

And by focusing on KNIGHT & DAY you are missing COLLATERAL... spec script from someone who did not live in the USA that became Tom Cruise movie directed by Michael Mann.

- Bill
                Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

Exactly my point from the beginning. O'Neill's friendship with Steve Pink, and Nancy Oliver's friendship with Alan Ball. Glad we're all on the same page.

Comment

Wow. So many circles, my head is spinning.

Tone it down, people - no name calling or personal attacks. Play the ball not the man, please.

Still, those circles... Whew. Getting giddy here.

The only thing I'm going to add is that people in high positions have helped me even though they didn't know me - had just read my script. People have helped me who did know me, but had not read my script. That didn't work either. I'm still here.

I'm thinking, maybe I should write another script.

Be good, while I'm gone.
                    sigpic

Website
                    Tweets
                    Book

Comment

• Re: How did a "first time" screenwriter end up writing a Tom Cruise movie?

This is another terrible example that has nothing to do with the discussion.

Hoffman and Duvall were roommates because they were both ALREADY WORKING ACTORS independently of each other.

The key word in this thread title is "first time"
                      You are giving a terrible example of someone who's wit is not the quickest, and doesn't get the drift in other people's posts.
                      "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

As a writer, one thing you will never see me do is crib someone else's lines.
                        Stealing lines means you use someone's lines and pretend they are your own.

Quoting is showing another writer's good lines, giving him credit, and honoring him that way.

Again, you have been too slow to get this major difference.

Of course, you would never quote someone's lines to honor another writer.

You'd rather pee on other people's reputation, pretending their achievements were only the result of their connections.

Have you ever considered that your slow wit is the reason you're not going anywhere, and not other people's "connections"?

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Fields View Post
                          I'm not quite getting some people's POV on Friends and First Jobs. (Or later jobs, for that matter.)

It's just the natural way of things.

When friends help friends get work in Entertainment, they're just doing the same thing people do in the Normal World, where they call it a "Professional Reference" -- or even a "Personal Reference".

Besides, Talent recognizes Talent.
                          Exactly.

Character is also important when choosing people to work with.

Who would want to work with a bitter, hateful guy who always comes up with new ideas on how to cut off other people's reputation?

You can't be open this way, have always be on your guard, and this will negatively impact your work. There have been productions that imploded because someone, or several people, were so awful to work with.

Good talent is always more focused on how they can do better. And they are sure enough of themselves to acknowledge other people's achievements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulysses View Post
                            Stealing lines means you use someone's lines and pretend they are your own.

Quoting is showing another writer's good lines, giving him credit, and honoring him that way.

Again, you have been too slow to get this major difference.

Of course, you would never quote someone's lines to honor another writer.

You'd rather pee on other people's reputation, pretending their achievements were only the result of their connections.

Have you ever considered that your slow wit is the reason you're not going anywhere, and not other people's "connections"?

I've had a lot of fun in this thread, arguing with ppl like Lowell and biglips, but dude, your posts are from like outer space. I don't even know how to respond to them.

Now it's possible that you're from another country and English isn't your first language, in which case I feel your pain and say keep at it and good luck, but if you're like a native born American over the age of 14 and you're still struggling this much articulating your thoughts (or understanding mine) I would say writing might not be your thing.

ps- who said I'm not 'going anywhere'?

Comment

Maybe I should wear a cape. And a mask. Maybe then people would pay attention. You leave me no choice: I'm only little but I've found shouting always works.

TONE IT DOWN. STOP THE PERSONAL ATTACKS. NOW.

Thanks for your time.
                              sigpic

Website
                              Tweets
                              Book

Comment

Good morning, Nic!

Just wanted to that it in before the thread is locked.
                                The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Working...
                                X