No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Plug For ScriptGal (Amanda)

Originally posted by madworld View Post
    Worth the money (for me.) To be honest, my writer friends are simply too lenient, and to my detriment, I don't know a lot of pros. This was a nice gauge of where the script is before sending to my reps.
    Bingo. And, contrary to many of the opinions on Done Deal, therein lies the value in reputable consultants.
    NOTES / COVERAGE
    15,000+ Screenplays
    [email protected]

Comment

HUGE shout out to ScriptGal - awesome notes - thorough, inventive and precise - big thumbs up from this writer!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

DD is on my referral page, and I regularly send new writers here. But I always tell them to buckle up first. : )
        ScriptGal
        Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
        Fifteen Years Development Experience
        http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

I've now sent several pieces to ScriptGal because she's just that good. I've got some holes in my swing and she's given me great notes to fix those and get things working.

Her points are clear, concise, and come from a really good industry POV. She tells you when something works and when things don't. What needs to happen to get something read, and why a direction will or won't work. It's more than just notes, you get the feeling she genuinely wants to help you get the script to a point where it'll sell.

If you want real, actionable feedback, she's definitely the one to call.

(She even took the time to write out all 15 paragraphs when I asked what Jeff Lowell does in a script, that I don't do. Don't ask her that. It's depressing.)

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Holmes View Post
            (She even took the time to write out all 15 paragraphs when I asked what Jeff Lowell does in a script, that I don't do. Don't ask her that. It's depressing.)
            Amanda,
            That could be a great little side market...

"Send $25 now to get Amanda's 15 paragraph teaching tool on what Jeff Lowell does THAT YOU DON'T!!!! Call now, operators are standing by!"

Comment

Originally posted by topshelf View Post
              2nd post and 2nd big thumbs up to another script service (also used Script Mechanic) that came highly recommended from this board - ScriptGal.

I've been writing for quite a while but am new to the screenwriting discipline. For my first script I wanted some unbiased, timely, well respected, and reasonable ($) feedback.

I got that and then some with ScriptGal. It's obvious she spent quality time with the script by the quality feedback she gave -- which highlights the positives and negatives in a professional fashion.

For a guy who didn't know sh** about this game 5 months ago, this board is an invaluable resource -- so thanks to everyone here for your participation.

Off to make some changes and continue script #2.
              Reposting topshelf's lovely comment here on my Jeff Lowell thread - so everyone can see it!

Thanks topshelf, and everyone who has been kind enough to take the time to write a few kind words. I am constantly amazed by the talent here.
              ScriptGal

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

I have a "Idea" / Outline of of a screenplay I'm working on, but don't have the COMPLETED screenplay ready. Could I still purchase one of your services? If so, which one? THANKS!!

Comment

Originally posted by rtrevino1993 View Post
                  I have a "Idea" / Outline of of a screenplay I'm working on, but don't have the COMPLETED screenplay ready. Could I still purchase one of your services? If so, which one? THANKS!!

I'm going to add to my original post (which I'm keeping for clarity.)

If you have a completed version of the script - a detailed outline or treatment - that you feel is solid, I'd be happy to take a look at that. When I first read the post I assumed you wanted to submit a partial script.

I personally think it's good to get the first draft out as fast as possible, but I know not everyone works that way.

Cheers!

Hi R-

Thank you. I'm actually a big fan of Stephen King's book about writing where he says the first draft needs to be the "closed door" draft - it's about you cranking out the story. (I highly recommend the audio book version that Stephen King reads - 2/3's memoir, 1/3 instruction.) You don't need anyone else in your head. At least for the first draft. : )

So buckle down, trust yourself, and I would be happy to look at a completed draft.

Good luck!

Amanda
                  Last edited by ScriptGal; 08-04-2012, 04:49 PM.
                  ScriptGal

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

I've used Amanda's service on three different specs! Really great notes!

I've also used Andrew (Screenplaymechanic) on various occasions and both are highly recommended!

I will continue to seek their feedback in the near future!

Comment

I have used ScriptGal's services as well as the Screenplay Mechanic. I have only (so far) written one spec script and I had no idea if my writing was any good and how it stood up to what these two see day after day. I wanted two opinions so I sent it out to both of them.

I liked ScriptGal's perspective on the story as a whole and how parts of it worked better than others. She gave good advice to help improve the story as well, ones that will cause a pretty substantial rewrite, but I believe it will be worth it.

Satisfied customer.
                      "Have the courage to follow your heart & intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become" ~ Steve Jobs

Comment

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm going to take a page out of Andrew's book and start scheduling hard return dates for everyone. So when you book, you'll get a solid date when your notes/coverage/comments will be returned. I had been considering 10 days as an average, but as I've gotten busier sometimes (okay, often) it's been longer.
                        ScriptGal

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                          So, a couple of years ago, I tried an experiment where I used a phony name and sent an uncirculated new spec to a couple of script coverage services that people were talking about here. (Thread here.)

Andrew, the Script Mechanic, did a great job, and I gave him a plug - if you want to see what a professional with a great eye thinks of your script, he charges a fair price. (I'm not saying anyone needs to - but if you want to, he provides a good service.)

Amanda's joined since then (http://www.scriptgal.com/), and has gotten a lot of attention, so I thought I'd repeat my experiment. I have a new spec, so I used a fake name and sent her my script for coverage.

Her notes were really smart. She addressed some things that I'd meant to do but hadn't figured out a good way to fit in, and a some things that the producer I showed it to last week also mentioned. (And some other things as well.) Basically, she nailed everything in the script that I need to address, and had some good suggestions on how to do it.

So, A plus in my book for her analysis.

And then, as an unsolicited bonus, she offered the following: "if you are looking for representation, I would be happy to refer you to some agents and managers that I like and trust. I don't ask any fee for that - it's just a delight to help talented writers move forward."

I came clean about who I really was, asked her if I could start a thread about my experiences, and here we are.

A slightly off topic point, if I may: there are a few related memes that I've tried to stomp out for years. The first is "any deviation from industry standards on formatting/style/whatever from a newcomer will get you dinged by the gatekeepers."

To give you an idea of how nonstandard my formatting is, I don't open with the words "FADE IN," instead, I open with an entire scene in italics to set it off stylistically from the scene after it. (Plus bolded sluglines!) Shots galore, asides to the reader, "we see"s and every variation thereof...

The second meme is "sure that script by X got attention - it had a pro's name on it." The name I picked is purposefully one that has no credits, and without me asking, she offered her contacts to try and get the script out there.

The third meme is related to the second - "it's impossible to get read by a rep unless you're a relative/friend/whatever." People in the industry are looking for good writing. When they find it, they're eager to pass it along - it's doing both sides a favor.

So bottom line... Amanda does a great job, and don't worry about anything but the writing.

Hopefully she'll chime in.
                          I think that was really cool of you to do for her. I was going to use her anyway in the past, but got sidetracked...now I definitely will keep her in mind the next go round.

On the flipside, I'd like to know what you would have done if the coverage would have been bad, misguided and against everything you've been saying on the boards here? Would you have started a thread to give everyone a warning about her specifically? Or better yet, would you be allowed to do that on this board without it being deleted?
                          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Hi All. My new reservation system is working so much better, I'm happy to say. I'm currently booked (regular turnaround) through August 24th, so make your reservations for the end of August/September soon. I do have rush options if you need something sooner.

Thanks DDers!

Amanda
                            ScriptGal

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

+1 recommending ScriptGal's service. Good detailed feedback, great suggestion to improve my script, plus she contacted me a day later with another idea that had occurred to her after she sent her notes.
                              ==========

Comment

I also recently used her service as well - the "development notes" (not just the coverage), and I thought it was well worth it for my needs (I'm a writer-director looking to shoot this coming-of-age feature early next year).

Her suggestions, questions she asked, and problem areas she identified helped me uncover ideas on my own to thread the various narrative elements together in a more elegant and dynamic way.

+1 for Amanda!

p.s. I know I don't post here much and what that may mean, but you can always PM me for my real name.

Comment

Working...
                                X