Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Austin Film Festival 2011

I want to back up the comment that these calls and offers for the badges are not just trying to squeeze money out of you.

I went to the Austin Film Festival two years ago, and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had in my writing career. Every other festival I've been to has been geared towards directors or fans. Austin is all about the writer.

The panels are excellent. You might get stuck listening to Lawrence Kasdan or Shane Black complain about the Hollywood process for two hours, but you're listening to Lawrence "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Kasdan and Shane "Kiss, Kiss Bang, Bang" Black. Everything they say is useful.

The parties are a blast. I made a bunch of writer friends I still talk with and exchange scripts. And Austin is an awesome city.

Can't recomment the festival enough. I'm excited to go back this year.

Comment

Hey, everybody! Long time no type here. I still see a lot of familiar names, though, so it's possible some of you may still remember me from a few years back.

Just checking in because I'm attending AFF this year and I've taken a room at the Driskill, and I'm looking for a roommate.

I'm looking for women only. Ideally, I'd like someone in LA, so we could meet up for a coffee beforehand and assure ourselves that the other isn't a serial killer, but that may not be a dealbreaker. (I can always just back Mace. I'll call it the Just-in-Case-Mace.) I'm actually going to be in Austin the 19th through the 25th, but I don't need someone who'll be there that whole time -- any portion you wish to share is fine.

Hit me up with a DM if you're interested. Thanks!

Jill (aka jillybob)
      The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Has anyone heard about the finalists yet?

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
          Has anyone heard about the finalists yet?
          Called the festival this afternoon and spoke with Matt Dy. He said he was waiting for a few more judging results and would be putting calls in to semi-finalists Friday night/Saturday morning.

Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Comment

Originally posted by RileysGhost View Post
            Called the festival this afternoon and spoke with Matt Dy. He said he was waiting for a few more judging results and would be putting calls in to semi-finalists Friday night/Saturday morning.

Good luck to everyone still in the running!
            Trying to decide which badge to get. Would be a lot easier if I knew if I was a finalist.

No pressure on the judges, though. Take your time, judges. Nice, friendly, attractive judges.

Comment

Trying to decide which badge to get.
              Conference badge is the best bang for its buck, imo. Obviously being a finalist would be ideal, but if it doesn't happen...that's what I recommend.
              The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
                Conference badge is the best bang for its buck, imo. Obviously being a finalist would be ideal, but if it doesn't happen...that's what I recommend.
                Yeah. Just trying to decide if I want the Producers Badge. Those parties were fun last time I went.

Comment

Considering that the discount for semifinalists knocks a few hundred off of the Producers' Badge, I definitely think it's worth it. I mean, $150 is still a chunk of change, but you get a few meals out of it along with/including the parties. Truth be told, in the past, I've gotten just as good networking done at the Driskill bar as I have at the original parties. But I've also seen someone unable to continue a conversation/connection because they couldn't get into the next party the person they were chatting up was going to.

I'm both sleep-deprived & suffering from a cold at the moment, so I'm not sure the above was as coherent as it might have been. But in my experience, the producers' badge is worth it. You will get to go everywhere anyone you'd want to talk to will be, you'll get to enjoy all the more fun, social aspects of the conference, and -- even though this isn't very fair to starving artists -- I think there are some people who will take you more seriously with a producers' badge, because they'll take your investment as a sign that you take YOURSELF more seriously.

That said, if you're attending as a semifinalist, finalist, or even second rounder, your advancement will speak for you and your talent, too. So if it's really a financial hardship to spring for the producers' badge, you shouldn't push yourself to spend more than you're comfortable with just because of benefits it *might* bring. Like I said, you can do a tremendous amount of networking at the Driskill Bar, and there will always be people to just hang out and drink and chill with, no matter what badge you have.

Oh, and hey, thanks for putting in the call to Matt and filling the rest of us in, RileysGhost!
                  The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah. Just trying to decide if I want the Producers Badge. Those parties were fun last time I went.
                    Different strokes for different folks.

I personally think the producer's badge is a gimmick, but if you feel it's worth it to pay for exclusivity, then...best of luck.

Either way...congrats on the semis.
                    The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Calls have started rolling out. No idea in what order Matt Dy is making his calls -- by category, by good news/bad news, by alphabetical order -- so all I can tell you is that he's up to pilot finalists whose last name begins with "W."

Oh, also a pilot finalist whose last name begins with "H" got his call. So there's that.

It's possible Matt's still planning to divide the calls between tonight and tomorrow morning, though, so there may still be stressy times ahead for some people.

Comment

Thanks, Jillybob. Makes it a little bit easier knowing that some folks are getting the word from Matt. I appreciate you letting us who haven't know it's coming soon.

Comment

Congrads to all who advanced. I'm a 2nd Rounder for the 2nd time but I'm still going... think it might be worth it even if I only meet other writers. Most of my friends are either **** ups or tech geeks who don't have a creative bon in their bodies so being able to talk shop with actual writers would be a breath of fresh air.

Comment

[quote=jillybob;769231]Oh, also a pilot finalist whose last name begins with "H" got his call. So there's that.[quote]

How did you know my last name starts with H and I got a call?

Looks like the decision has been made fore me. We're finalists. Our Producers Badges are a go.

Hope to see a bunch of you there.

Comment

Originally posted by jillybob View Post
                              Hey, everybody! Long time no type here. I still see a lot of familiar names, though, so it's possible some of you may still remember me from a few years back.

Just checking in because I'm attending AFF this year and I've taken a room at the Driskill, and I'm looking for a roommate.

I'm looking for women only. Ideally, I'd like someone in LA, so we could meet up for a coffee beforehand and assure ourselves that the other isn't a serial killer, but that may not be a dealbreaker. (I can always just back Mace. I'll call it the Just-in-Case-Mace.) I'm actually going to be in Austin the 19th through the 25th, but I don't need someone who'll be there that whole time -- any portion you wish to share is fine.

Hit me up with a DM if you're interested. Thanks!

Jill (aka jillybob)
                              Long time no type also. I want to re-iterate what's already been said. It is worth every penny. Every time. I can only normally afford one 'vacation' per year and it is ALWAYS Austin. Writer/Filmmaker/Whatever... it's worth it. This will be my 11th time at AFF.

JillyBob, I'm heading there for 4 nights, coming in Thursday and leaving Monday. I'm pretty sure you introduced me (on this board) to a roommate a few years back, at the Driskill. A lovely Australian lady. I'm looking for a roommate. Are you only going to have one roommate though? PM me if you would.
                              Last edited by TeresaMLA; 10-03-2011, 06:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
                              'Not all those who wander are lost.' ~ Tolkien

Comment

The list is official.

http://austinfilmfestival.com/new/20...play_finalists

Comment

Working...
                                X