No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gravity (Teaser)

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
    Rich, as always, good info. My postulation was that we're not talking about someone in a leaking and depressurIzing suit, but someone immediately subjected to the full measure of vacuum and space. The guy whose suit was leaking said his tongue began to boil in under 15 seconds (and would have subsequently froze). Suppose he had no suit - pretty immediate effect.
    Depends on what he was doing. He might have had his mouth open during those 15 seconds, which according to the article makes a big difference. He didn't know the suit was gonna leak, and it's probable he was panicking, and possibly keeping his mouth open.

The article clearly says that there shouldn't be any immediate effects.

Comment

this movie came out of nowhere for me. i was never interested on it based on the trailers, but the reviews were so consistently good, i had to check it out.

so glad i did because really it was one of the best movies i've ever seen.

it's one of those movies you have to wonder: a) how they were able to achieve it technically.

and b) why didn't someone else come up with this idea first?

brilliant.

Comment

Saw this twice in the theaters. Once in IMAX, which was amazing and once in regular 3D, which was less amazing, but pretty damn great. Bullock's performance was a real highlight and brought some wright to some of the more sentimental moments. I loved that moment where she starts howling -- all the frustrations and sadness dramatized into some primordial was genius. That was brilliant writing. There were some cheesy moments, but it was such a sincere performance, you overlook that.

The first ten/fifteen minutes -- actually the first 30 minutes right up to where Clooney and Bullock get to the first station was some of the best action directing I've ever seen. Great work by Cuaron.

It seems like that noxious Enders Game is swallowing all the IMAX screens, so it's unfortunate for those who haven't seen it yet.

But what a ride.

Comment

This is an amazing, transcending movie. A groundbreaking visceral and emotional thrill ride from beginning to end. A visionary film.

The script is pretty great as well. It's a lean and mean beast, and has several powerful scenes in terms of writing.

Writing deceptively simple scripts like this is much, much harder than most people think it is.

Comment

Bullock was great. Clooney was perfect in a role that seemed written with his kind of charm in mind.

I was enjoying the film much more than I had predicted, right until the scene where Clooney has to untether (is that the word?) himself from Bullock so he doesn't drag her with him.

What force was pulling him away from the ISS? I mean, what force kept pulling him away after Bullock grabbed and pulled him back? It doesn't make any sense. I guess maybe she never really stopped him, just slowed him down, but the way it was shot just took me out of the story. Maybe that scene is physically sound, but it didn't work to me the way it was presented.

The birth imagery was a little heavy handed: the shot were she looks like a fetus in the womb right after she enters the ISS, umbilical cord and all, and the final rebirth out of the water (which never seems to get old).

There were some truly spectacular sequences, maybe more from a technical point of view than the way they looked on the screen. It did feel a bit like a style gimmick and a show off, at times. Some sequences would have been better served shot in a more traditional way, like the destruction of the ISS, where I missed some wider shots. I get it that the point was to have the viewer experience things as closely as possible to the way Bullock does, but I think this takes away some of the scope of what's happening. The movie feels quite intimate, really.

To me, that's what ultimately keeps the movie from being great, the story feels paradoxically small.

PS: as it turns out, the untethering scene wasn't plausible http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/2...realism-three/ For the record, I'm not a stickler for scientific or factual accuracy, but this felt basic enough that should bother people. Anyway, it did bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
              To me, that's what ultimately keeps the movie from being great, the story feels paradoxically small.

PS: as it turns out, the untethering scene wasn't plausible http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/2...realism-three/ For the record, I'm not a stickler for scientific or factual accuracy, but this felt basic enough that should bother people. Anyway, it did bother me.
              a small story and some ludicrous scenes (in a movie that sold 'realism' because there's not much in the way of actual story) made this a boring theater experience for me.

speaking of, were there any great movies of 2013 that had intriguing, great storylines? I feel like I turn to blockbusters: generic storyline & bloated effects. I turn to critic choices: no story and over-the-top mood.

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Weems View Post
                I know. And if it had Tara Reid and David Spade in it, it would've been even worse. Just think of all the possibilities for it to be a lousy movie.

Except it wasn't. But we can always dream...
                Exactly.

Is the point that with crappy CGI and a bad director, the movie would have been worse? Well... yeah.

Fantastic movie, one that'll stick with me for a while.

****SPOILERS****

I REALLY loved the debris impact sequences. The silence coupled with the CGI/camerawork was visceral and stunning.

Comment

Probably mentioned elsewhere, Gravity won prizes at the annual BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) awards.
                  The space drama was named best British film and picked up other prizes for visual effects, cinematography, best sound and original music, while Alfonso Cuaron won best director.
                  Baftas: Gravity and 12 Years a Slave share glory

Bafta Film Awards 2014: Full list of winners

BBC News website links.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                    Probably mentioned elsewhere, Gravity won prizes at the annual BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) awards.
                    That is so embarrassing. Desperate criteria so as to claim a patently non-British film. "Someone on the set of Godzilla 2014 drank tea. Tea is a British national treasure. Therefore under our criteria that makes it a British film. Here's an award so we can bask in the illusion of the continuing success of British cinema".
                    M.A.G.A.

Comment

• Re: Gravity (Teaser)

I saw it again last night. It didn't have as much re-watch value as I expected. Besides the technical achievements, Gravity is important for being a great movie-movie but I think it's a great movie-movie in an era of bad movie-movies.

Comment

Since there's not a "story" or cast of characters, Gravity naturally has little re-watch value.

The weak story and characters from Avatar also are a problem for re-watch value.

X-men's 1 and 2, Indiana Jones 1 and 3, and T2 on the other hand, I can watch all the bloody time.
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

First time I saw it was in IMAX 3-D. I thought it was very immersive/visceral and enjoyed it. (My husband hated it.)

Tried to watch it again at a friend's on a small-ish (maybe 40") screen and gave up after about 20 min. This time it felt like watching someone else play a video game.
                          "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I positively loved it, though I saw it on a smallish screen. Though Sandra Bullock really sold that character, so alone in space. Inspired me so, I went back and checked out 2001 A Space Odyssey again. Definitely would watch again.
                            " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X