• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Black List's first live screenplay reading, June 14, 2014

On June 14, 2014, at 7:00 pm
    at the Los Angeles Theatre,
    the Black List will host the first in its Black List Live! series:

A public table read of the 2013 Black List script

1969: A SPACE ODYSSEY, OR HOW KUBRICK LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LAND ON THE MOON by Stephany Folsom

the story of a White House public affairs assistant who convinced Stanley Kubrick to fake the moon landing in case something went terribly wrong with that one small step.

A small group of discount tickets ($20) are on sale now via the Los Angeles Film Festival, who are co-presenting the reading with us.

Full price tickets ($40) will go on sale as soon as they run out.
    Trust me: get them now before we announce the cast.

To buy tickets (for now):
    http://bit.ly/1naJcog

To check out the beautiful poster for the event designed by Fernando Reza (signed prints will be on sale at the event):
    http://bit.ly/1ncYKIj

Re: The Black List's first live screenplay reading, June 14, 2014

Hi, Franklin.

Is this mainly a recreational event, or do you see this as a career opportunity for the writers involved?

Thanks,
    Bill

Comment

I honestly have no idea what you're asking.

Comment

Unfortunately not in my area but looks awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by bill the scholar View Post
          Hi, Franklin.

Is this mainly a recreational event, or do you see this as a career opportunity for the writers involved?

Thanks,
          Bill

I think it's supposed to be entertainment. But I'm not sure absolutely sure.
          "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

I think he's asking if the Black List is actively recruiting producers and agents to be there.

And Leonard, I think this a great idea and all, but the full price seems quite steep, considering you can get a ticket to most fully-produced local 99 seat theater for a good deal less than that. It's a staged reading, right? How come so expensive?
            Last edited by carcar; 05-22-2014, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Closer reading, I guess it must be the actors hinted at, or perhaps because it's in conjunction with the Festival, but I'd like to know more. Jason Reitman's staged events at LACMA are way cheaper if you can get tickets. Is there a cocktail party/mingling element?

I guess my (our) questions are targeted more towards the projected future of these events. (Honestly, I think this could be a great thing, but to regularly attend something like this at $40 a pop would be prohibitively expensive for your average struggling screenwriter.)

Will the reading be recorded and/or broadcast in some form? Is it a cold reading or rehearsed? How did you come to choose this script? Is it currently under option, or underway in some manner, and if so, how do the producers come in to play?

And if not, how do you think a public reading will affect its chances for getting produced down the road?

I know, for myself, getting a chance to hear a script read in front of an audience has been a real treat. I wonder if some producers might be sensitive to have material out under public scrutiny.

But, again, an idea with great promise.

Comment

Well, after hearing about a guy like Tarantino doing a live reading of his Hateful Eight script...

I was just wondering if Live Readings are a way for screenwriters to help their careers nowadays (exposure or networking), or do people just do it for fun? My guess is that it's a little bit of both.

Comment

Several years ago I read an amateur take on this same concept that was a fun edgy comedy. When I saw this script on the Black List I contacted that writer to commiserate, while congratulating him on his topic selection.

With good reason to be curious, I went looking for a draft of this script expecting to see it sparkle and outgun my friend's effort. Did it? Didn't it? I guess people who fork out cash for the live event will find out...

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                    On June 14, 2014, at 7:00 pm
                    at the Los Angeles Theatre,
                    the Black List will host the first in its Black List Live! series:

A public table read of the 2013 Black List script

1969: A SPACE ODYSSEY, OR HOW KUBRICK LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LAND ON THE MOON by Stephany Folsom
                    Thanks, Franklin! Really appreciate the heads-up on the discount tickets. Sounds very intriguing. What a great opportunity.

Comment

Where to start with this:

We're taking a script from last year's Black List whose content is likely to be interesting to both aspiring screenwriters and general public movie fans alike, casting it with actors who you will recognize (and likely be fans of), and presenting a night of extraordinary entertainment at one of Los Angeles's great old movie palaces.

There will certainly be a ton of film and television industry folks in the audience, as there have been for other Black List public events. If you're looking to network, there will be opportunities to do that, but this would qualify as a networking event in the same way that a film premiere would.

A few other things:

Jason Reitman's events are not "way cheaper." In fact, they're not cheaper at all. They're the same price, $40 for the general public. We're offering a few hundred $20 tickets. I'd recommend getting them now. They're close to selling out.

It will not be recorded or broadcast. It's a one night thing for the folks in the audience that night.

It will be a rehearsed reading.

Kurtzman/Orci are currently attached to produce the script. They're not involved in the reading in any official capacity.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, Franklin.

Comment

Sorry about the price confusion , Franklin, I guess I'm used to the Film Independent member prices for the reading series, which are $15. Again, it sounds like fun. Sadly, out of town for the actual event, so I look forward to seeing what the future holds for the series.

Best wishes for a successful event.
                          Last edited by carcar; 05-23-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Any status update on this?
                            "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

This sounds like fun. I wish I were in LA this June.

Comment

Working...
                              X