Is It Right For A Prodco To Shop A Script Before Opt/Sale?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prod shopping your script

Not sure if I quite understand the problem but I'll answer anyway. Storydude,

A small production company can become your best agent. If they like the idea and want to be a part of its prod then they will shop it for large studios. Thats why most movies have multiple producers with varying degrees of involvement. Utilize anyone interested-- directors, actors, readers- who can get script in the door. Good Luck.

Comment

Post About What You Know

Most producers don't have discretionary funds any more - so where are they going to get the money to buy your script? The studio. If they don't take it in to the studio, there's no way to pay you.

Exceptions - companies with independent funding sources. But they don't need to show your script to anyone - they just go out and make the film.

Your method assures no payee - period.

- Bill

Comment

Re: Prod shopping your script

Perhaps i'm late to the party, but it would appear that Storydude has not the faintest idea what he's talking about.

would that be far off?

Comment

Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink

Remember those guys in High School who always talked about their sexual experiences - even though you KNEW they were virgins? The more they talked, the more they exposed that they had no idea what the heck they were talking about? Or how limited their experiences actually were?

- Bill (quiet virgin)

Comment

Re: Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink

GREAT ANALOGY... hm? or were you talking about me. cause I got some back in 89'. i call that my summer of love

Comment

Re: Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink

Umm, I can't relate.

*walks off backwards*

Comment

Re: A few things

Is it common for producers to shop your material without consulting you? If so, may I ask them if they have when they contact me?

Crash - Great link, informative article.

DHS - I loved the Art of Dramatic Writing, read it a few times.
                The most important thing I absorbed was his simple
                take on what drives us ALL.
                The need to be important.

Pandoraisme

Comment

RE: Martell's Wisdom

Of course. But, most writers shop their scripts along the agents unless they are with a "Big Eight" agency. So, before a prodco shops your award winning screenplay you should at least tell the prodco where you placed the script. And if it got bad coverage there, then at least the prodco doesn't have a bad experience. Management companies sign an option before they shop your script, why not prodcos?

Comment

Re: RE: Martell's Wisdom

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Management companies sign an option before they shop your script, why not prodcos? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Explain this please.

Comment

Huh?

I didn't understand ANY of that.

Comment

Re: Huh?

I think Storydude is yanking our chain.

Comment

Crash...dude. Where in Florida are you from? The Everglades? Dude, management companies like 18
                          month old Brooklyn Weaver's Energy Entertainment and new kid on the block, Sound Boy Ent., regularly option a script 6 months for $1.00+ to take it off the market while the shop it to prodco's, studios or on rare occasions produce it themselves.

Where not talking about Billy Bob's band manager,
                          here...

My goal is to put an end to flagrant screenplay shopaholics; adding a little more sanity back into
                          the business. HEH, HEH, HEH, HEH, GROWL, HEH, HEH,
                          SLOBER, HEH, HEH, HEH....

Comment

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Management companies sign an option before they shop your script, why not prodcos? <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> Management companies like 18 month old Brooklyn Weaver's Energy Entertainment and new kid on the block, Sound Boy Ent., regularly option a script 6 months for $1.00+ to take it off the market while the shop it to prodco's, studios or on rare occasions produce it themselves. <hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

What exactly is your argument? That a writer should option a script for $1? How's that better than no pay?

Please take a breath, and clearly state your point.

By the way, storydude, who are you repped by? Who are your managers? Who are your lawyers? Obviously you're not happy with the way they're handling your scripts.

Comment

I am guessing that everyone with the word "story" in their nick eventually go insane.

Comment

My $1 Conflict Of Interest Sale

When I signed with that manager, I just signed a fairly standard contract for him to represent me.

Why would I option any scripts to him for ANY amount? That creates a big time conflict of interest.

PRODUCERS option scripts... or usually just buy them.

I now know 2 management companies to avoid,

- Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X