• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rian Johnson to write & direct next two Star Wars films

Supposedly. Holy crap.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/star...xt-two-movies/

Re: Rian Johnson to write & direct next two Star Wars films

so this is what all the hubbub's about on my twitter feed.

Comment

Wow. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Is this good or bad?

Comment

I'm happy for Rian. He seems like a great guy. I love his movies. He always tells great character stories no matter the genre. He'll knock this out of the park.

Comment

Can't think of a better choice. Scriptshadow isn't happy, so you know it's going to be good.
            Last edited by NoirDigits; 06-20-2014, 12:50 PM.
            Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockford7 View Post
              Is this good or bad?
              Rian is a terrified director IMO. Brick and Looper are beautifully shot, and the episodes he directed of Breaking Bad were elevated above the rest. You think that show was phenomenal in general, it would have been on a whole new level if he had directed every episode.

That being said, I'm so-so on his writing. It's been hit or miss for me. In particular I thought Looper's story pretty much wasted its cool premise (so much cornfield). Maybe budget had something to do with it.

But with the universe of Star Wars already existing, and the collaborators he'll have, I think it's a good decision. He's very passionate, has great vision and isn't in the game for the money at all. Besides Breaking Bad (a show he was a fan of), he said previously he couldn't imagine directing a film he didn't write.
              Last edited by Writerperson12; 06-20-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Master the force, he will.

Comment

I'm happy he got it but he should have had the whole trilogy. While I was cautiously optimistic about Episode VII I'm starting to fear another Phantom Menace.

Comment

Will he be using GL's treatment? If the story is all his, I'd be a bit worried. It's hard to jump from Brick to epic space opera. Inevitably, faced with a creativity/inexperience issue, you wind up borrowing.

For eg: Star Trek (2009) had the same plot beats as ANH. Kurtzman and Orci were playing it safe.

You know: Rebellious farm boy's father is killed literally the day he was born by an evil space lord who controls a GIANT death machine that can single-handedly destroy an entire planet.

Old friend of his father encourages him to follow in his father's footsteps; join a space faction battling the space lord.

The death machine first destroys the home planet of one of the major characters in front of their eyes, before setting its sights on the planet that will end all hope in the galaxy. Hero and is opposite combine forces to defeat evil death machine -- Kirk & Spock. Luke & Han.

Space medals given out.
                    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                      Will he be using GL's treatment? If the story is all his, I'd be a bit worried. It's hard to jump from Brick to epic space opera. Inevitably, faced with a creativity/inexperience issue, you wind up borrowing.
                      1. You do understand that he has made other movies after BRICK?
                      2. It's hard to jump from American Graffiti to epic space opera.
                      3. You do understand that STAR WARS itself borrows from a huge number of sources?
                      4. I don't even know why I'm posting, I'm done now.

Comment

Originally posted by keithcalder View Post
                        1. You do understand that he has made other movies after BRICK?
                        2. It's hard to jump from American Graffiti to epic space opera.
                        3. You do understand that STAR WARS itself borrows from a huge number of sources?
                        4. I don't even know why I'm posting, I'm done now.
                        Um, GL made THX-1138 in 1971.

Besides, Looper is a hard HARD-R with brutal violence. I'm worried his style will be ruined by writing for kiddies.
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                          Um, GL made THX-1138 in 1971.

Besides, Looper is a hard HARD-R with brutal violence. I'm worried his style will be ruined by writing for kiddies.
                          I worry about styles too with these big films and think it comes down to giving the creator the autonomy he or she needs to apply their style to the franchise, which gets complicated when so much money is involved. But something tells me Rian's will translate. He's a remarkably capable filmmaker.

Comment

i hope they make star wars into something by gene wolfe. they could base the origin of the sith with the torturers on some mysterious distant planet.

Comment

I didn't like Brick and Looper actually.

The former had an unengaging story and irritating dialogue while the latter had an illogical premise.

Anyway I was a huge Star Wars fan but the franchise was irreversibly broken when the prequels came out. Now the new sequels will also be disregarding all the (official) Expanded Universe created over the decades (some like the Thrawn Trilogy which was so epic and one of many inspirations for writing)

Comment

Working...
                              X