Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Plough through or correct as you go?

It's not your fault. My post could've been taken either way.

As long as you're writing then you're progressing.

Comment

This screenwriter said he wrote from page one to wherever he could get by day's end. The next day, he began from the beginning again and wrote as far as he could get by day's end. He did this over and over, each time gaining on the story. By the time he reached the script story's ending, he was typing out the screenplay in about two hours' time, or roughly the length of the film's viewing time.

I'm about to try this method on my next script, although I plan to break it with an outline. Does anyone else see any value in this approach?
      No. No offense to you, but that sounds like something a crazy person or someone with a really short term memory would do, and also a highly inefficient way of doing things that would ultimately lead to a sloppy and typo ridden draft because you wrote a script in two hours once you've reached the end goal.

If you're like me and can remember every detail and line of dialogue you've written in a script up until whatever page you left off, or even just the majority of them, then I don't see the value of starting from page one every day just to have details you already remember fresh in your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

Names are a bitch.
        Screenwriter Brian Helgeland on how he names characters (second question from the top). He uses football player last names and has a list of them.

https://austinfilmfestival.com/blog/...ian-helgeland/

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
          Screenwriter Brian Helgeland on how he names characters (second question from the top). He uses football player last names and has a list of them.

https://austinfilmfestival.com/blog/...ian-helgeland/
          At least this avoids the ultra-cheesy tack of choosing names that represent the characters personality and traits.
          M.A.G.A.

Comment

If you're certain, after lengthy outlining and treatments, that a written scene is going to make the final draft, correct as you go. If you're writing the script essentially as an outline to see what works, then plough through.

Comment

Working...
            X