No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dracula

Come on, who's watching it?

This show has turned into my number one guilty pleasure. It's soooo not perfect and I just don't care.
    writertypepeople.tumblr.com
    twitter.com/susanlbridges
    pendantaudio.com

Re: Dracula

Yep we've been watching it and enjoying it, it's an interesting new take with unexpectedly different characters. In the UK however it's not being shown on one of the major channels, which has lowered awareness somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
      Yep we've been watching it and enjoying it, it's an interesting new take with unexpectedly different characters. In the UK however it's not being shown on one of the major channels, which has lowered awareness somewhat.
      I love the changes to the mythos but I also love how ambitious it is. It's trying to do so much with a smaller budget, I can't help but admire it, and the actors sell the hell out of it.
      pendantaudio.com

Comment

***SPOILERS***

It's a fun show to watch, but I do have a few issues:

1) Dracula is not a likable character.

I don't mean morally good, there's lots of great 'bad guys' that I love watching. I'm just not rooting for him to win. Trying to break down exactly why that is has been difficult but educational.

2) Dracula's path to revenge seems needlessly complicated.

Create a brand new technology (with tremendous difficulty) with the aim of bankrupting the Order of the Dragon.

Dracula could literally just kill them off one by one, and achieve a more satisfying conclusion. It feels like the elaborate revenge scheme came before the character, and he was squeezed into its mold. But is this really how a creature like Dracula would deal with his threats?

3) Dracula's backstory is being revealed too slowly, which also affects the characters likeability.

So hundreds of years ago The Order of the Dragon killed his family. We get periodic flashbacks but that main origin story, which would probably make me like him more, hasn't been fully explained.

I'm sure it will be, eventually. But because I don't fully understand HOW he was betrayed, I'm not as motivated to root for him.

The show is basically a revenge storyline, but the full details of the initial crime have still not been revealed, muddling my ability to sympathize with and like the main character.

-

The show's interesting enough that I'll keep watching. In particular, Nonso Anozie is fantastic as Dracula's assistant.

I'm also really interested in the other storyline, where Dracula is purposefully and gradually stealing Ilina away from a very likable Jonathan.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
          ***SPOILERS***

It's a fun show to watch, but I do have a few issues:

1) Dracula is not a likable character.

I don't mean morally good, there's lots of great 'bad guys' that I love watching. I'm just not rooting for him to win. Trying to break down exactly why that is has been difficult but educational.
          I have a theory, which is neither here nor there, but I'll offer it up for discussion.

I think they need to show us some better times with his wife in the past to generate our empathy in the present. So far they've shown us scenes where Dracula was tortured and made to drink an elixir (thereby turning him to vampire). That's rationalization not empathy. Regardless, it's a fun series, I've quite enjoyed watching it.
          Last edited by asjah8; 12-09-2013, 02:12 PM.
          life happens
          despite a few cracked pots-
          and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
            I have a theory, which is neither here nor there, but I'll offer it up for discussion.

I think they need to show us some better times with his wife in the past to generate our empathy in the present. So far they've shown us scenes where Dracula was tortured and made to drink an elixir (thereby turning him to vampire). That's rationalization not empathy. Regardless, it's a fun series, I've quite enjoyed watching it.
            I think this ties into the previous post about the backstory being revealed too slowly. I can agree with that.

I do enjoy the dichotomy of Dracula though that makes him a very complex character to me. He kills and yet is also capable of great love. He comes across as very passionate about many things. I do like all of that wrapped up into a neat little package.
            pendantaudio.com

Comment

Working...
            X