• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRITING FOR ZERO DOLLARS - The Truth About Sweat Equity In Hollywood

Hey Done Dealers,

In this week's vid on SCRIPTFELLA...

https://youtu.be/limBZrFwxRQ

We drill down into Freewrites, Prewrites, speccing WHOLE SCRIPTS for free...and The $1 Dollar Option, which in my opinion, should never be an option.

#saynotospec #nomore4free

Who is SCRIPTFELLA?

I'm a seasoned screenwriter, story consultant and film lecturer. I've been optioned or commissioned by over 30 US and UK studios and production companies including: Universal Studios, Working Title, Bold Films, Scott Free, BBC and ITV. Recent produced credits include the award-winning motion picture Act of Defiance (2017) and the not-so-award winning Hard Target 2 (2016)...
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-09-2020, 11:33 AM. Reason: Added tags

Re: WRITING FOR ZERO DOLLARS - The Truth About Sweat Equity In Hollywood

Hey Dominic, another great video lesson. that's so much for sharing your experiences.

It is really hard to turn away a $1 option when you're talking with a prodco that had a recent $86 million movie, but in my opinion you should say, "no," no matter how temping.

I think of it this way, how much of a priority are they going to place on moving your film into production when they have nothing but a $1 invested? and if the terms are long? You get the idea.

Love your YouTube series, man, really helpful.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

You're welcome, Lisa, I'm glad the vid struck a chord for you. Your experience with the $1 dollar option offer from a legit producer is increasingly common - and you're so right. More often than not, a producer who has invested their own money in a project, will prioritise getting a return on that, rather than investing their time in a project that they've picked up for zero dollars. A producer's sweat equity skin-in-the-game is nowhere near a writer's sweat equity investment - maybe we should call it Sweat Inequity...
      Last edited by SCRIPTFELLA; 06-18-2019, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Oh god... A couple projects ago I did a year of development hell. Top 5 producer dangling the "we're going to XYZ A-list director if we can just get the script there." Hard to be "difficult" in that scenario. However, the script ultimately went to... you guessed it... NO ONE!

Never again will I do free sh!t for more than say, 1 week. Get your notes together Mr. Producer and you get one week. Period! I'll have the script back to you in 2 days. Then you need to move fast to turn notes around in under a week or I ain't doing them because this is fake otherwise.

Never again! No matter who it is. Lesson learned.

I'll give your show a listen...

Watched your show. Enjoyed it! Nothing I didn't fully and utterly agree with.
        Last edited by GucciGhostXXX; 06-24-2019, 07:45 PM.
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Yes, the market is grossly oversupplied with product, but how does giving your stuff away for FREE help?

Comment

Working...
          X