Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronica Mars Movie (Kickstarter Fund)

This is real interesting. Warner Bros has allowed Rob Thomas and crew to make a Veronica Mars movie, if they can reach the goal of 2 million dollars by April 12th. They are using Kickstarter. Warners wants to see if there is enough interest for the movie. Then Warners will pick up the marketing, and distribution cost. This could revolutionize how movies are made if this works.

Fans are always talking about why don't studios make movies they want to see. If you're a Veronica Mars fan this is your chance.

This is really interesting, technically you could start seeing this happen on a ground level with properties that people think should be movies. And fans could jump start projects.

Veronica Mars fund is already at 337,000 dollars. I think they'll reach 2 million.
    I hope this works.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=101508

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-movie-project

Re: Veronica Mars Movie (Kickstarter Fund)

I kicked in my contribution. This is so very cool.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
      I kicked in my contribution. This is so very cool.

This is crazy. I just blinked. it's at 450,000 bucks already. Hell it could easily reach a million by today.

Comment

I'm in favor of a Veronica Mars movie, and I have nothing against kickstarter.
        But WB using Kickstarter to make a movie...

That said, I can see huge fans really enjoying the perks you get from donating.
        what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

I agree. I had some trepidation about WARNERS ( a major studio) having fans use their money to produce a project. But I also feel like this could be a game changer. Not that fans will ever hold the final say over what movies get made. But it could lead to them having a major push in what movies studios need to consider making.

I really like this. Because technically what you could start doing is having an agency package a property with actors and put it on Kickstarter and see if fans would chip in to jump start a project. That could be a major asset to creators, and take some of the power out of the suits hands.

Damn half a million almost. I think they could realistically get 3 to 4 million, maybe even 5 by then end of the month.

Rob Thomas needs to start a kickstarter for the Party Down movie.

Comment

I think, too, that having it funded independently like this will probably mean less interference. If the studio doesn't have to fund the whole thing, they won't try to note it to death. Thomas will most likely have an incredible amount of autonomy.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              I think, too, that having it funded independently like this will probably mean less interference. If the studio doesn't have to fund the whole thing, they won't try to note it to death. Thomas will most likely have an incredible amount of autonomy.

I agree. That's the great thing about this. This project is already at 500,000. I've never seen anything like this before. Incredible.

Some reason this is exciting. I'm hooked watching this. This might be at a million bucks before 2pm pacific time.

Comment

Okay, the donations are climbing by the minute.
                Where were these people when the show was cancelled after it's (admittedly flawed) third season?

Comment

They have different categories of gifts depending on your donation size. Someone dropped 10 grand to be in the movie.

Comment

760,000 now... the interwebs!

Zach Braff did an AMA on reddit the other day and he mentioned kickstarter wasn't ideal for raising money for a movie but didn't give any details. Does anyone know what he was talking about? And why Rob Thomas decided to go with it anyway?

Comment

Over 800,000. It'll reach a million by noon. I think it can reach 2 million by Friday. If not before.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                        760,000 now... the interwebs!

Zach Braff did an AMA on reddit the other day and he mentioned kickstarter wasn't ideal for raising money for a movie but didn't give any details. Does anyone know what he was talking about? And why Rob Thomas decided to go with it anyway?
                        Well, you have to give things away to the people who donate, which can wind up coasting money from a movie that may not make back it's budget. So you have to ask where that money will come from.

Comment

Over a million. Incredible. Could make 2 million today.

Comment

Okay. So... at what point will all of the 'contributers' start wanting their share of the profits?

Comment

Originally posted by Kwinnky View Post
                              Where were these people when the show was cancelled after it's (admittedly flawed) third season?
                              The show was on during the golden age of television (particularly the final season in 2007), so they were probably busy watching The Wire, Lost, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Battlestar Galactica, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Family Guy, South Park, House, Rescue Me, or something else.

Comment

Working...
                              X