No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fastest turnaround on writing?

Originally posted by Telly View Post
    It was a joke, Tally. Seriously, you need to change your name so folks don't mistake me for you.
    Hilarious, because that is exactly what I did.

Jeff Shurtleff
    "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Dang it! He posted some pages too and someone PM'd me wondering how my work "changed so much".

Dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
        Dang it! He posted some pages too and someone PM'd me wondering how my work "changed so much".

Dude.
        In all seriousness, maybe Done Deal should step in and Make "Tally" change his name.

I wouldn't want someone posting things under a name close to mine... not that anyone is going out of their way to be me.

Jeff Shurtleff
        Last edited by Jeff_Shurtleff; 07-17-2010, 04:12 PM.
        "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

It's really not that big of a deal, I'm just pissy this morning. But yeah, if Tally were to register a new name, I wouldn't complain

Comment

I tried to register Jiff Shortleff, but it wouldn't let me. Apparently there's already a user with that name.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff View Post
              In a seriousness, maybe Done Deal should step in and Make "Tally" change his name.

I wouldn't want someone posting things under a name close to mine... not that anyone is going out of their way to be me.

Jeff Shurtleff
              Or the person in question could ask and then any reasonable person could see the conflict. Once seeing the conflict any reasonable person wouldn't mind sorting this issue out. I think we can hold backing on the firing squad.

No problem Telly I will get it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigre de Oro View Post
                My last script might have been my best turnaround yet.
                FADE IN: - March 10th
                QUERY - March 17th
                FADE OUT: - March 19th (morning)
                SUBMIT : March 19th (afternoon)
                RESPONSE (Reps/Producers) : April 1st - May 14th
                OPTIONED : May 14th

A little over 2 months.

My current screenplay.
                FADE IN: July 5th
                FADE OUT: (Shooting for July 15th)

I write faster when I know someone wants to read it (ie. Manager, producer, etc).
                Wow, I'm speechless. Congrats to all the speedy writers.

To me, the hardest part in writing is outlining. So my question is:
                How long does it take you to outline? Days? Minutes? Seconds? While you sleep?
                It really made me think about my pace of productivity.
                Last edited by Olgason; 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM.
                Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                -Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Olgason View Post

To me, the hardest part of writing is outlining. So my question is:
                  I spent about 2 months outlining - see an earlier post of mine on the thread.

For me, there's no point starting the script until I've watched the script play out in my head 50 times, start to finish - and even then, I still have to want to go through it enough to write it.

Needless to say, I wrote my first draft in 6/7 days, writing 10-15 hrs a day.

It was rough, but I spent 6 hours today polishing and its actually not bad. There isn't much to my descriptive action, but that's one of the last things I do is go through a script and make the action leap off the page. No point wasting time on doing that now if I end up tossing out two scenes.

By the way, I find writing genres that I love being simple as anything. You know them in and out, your brain points out cliches to avoid as you move, you know where and when story beats are needed etc.

What's more exciting is this is my first feature screenplay, after 15+ shorts and many produced/optioned, so I'm wrapped to be able to say I have a feature script under my belt.

Once I have this one at a level I'm happy with - that and the other 2 in development are progressing - hopefully I'll find an agent who can do something with my material.

I have a feeling I got lucky with this though...

Happy writing everyone.

Comment

i think it's comical that people can say that quality and the time it takes to write a script is not related. personally i think people are so full of shaite it's painful.
                    You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

yeah, i read your script tigre and it boggles my mind that you get what you say you got. you are a decent writer. DECENT. and when i say decent i mean barely passing for good.

you make my grammar and proofreading skills look like a polsihed editor and your storytelling skills leave a lot on the table.

if medicority is selling, then i should be a star.

Comment

Oh, come on now Ducky, don't hold back. Tell him what you really think.

Comment

Originally posted by Olgason View Post

To me, the hardest part of writing is outlining. So my question is:
                          This is why this whole thing gets under my skin a bit. People try to hold themselves up to this unrealistic standard, which is really based on bad info. Someone finishing a vomit draft in 3 days or 6 days or whatever means nothing. There's no reward for speed. None. According to Guild rules the writer has a certain minimum amount of time to hand in a first draft, and though I don't remember what it is off-hand, it's months not days.

Writing is rewriting, and the only thing that matters is what shape it's in when in goes out the door.

2 months to write an outline seems about right to me, and 3-4 weeks to finish a solid first draft without a day job getting in the way is highly respectable.

1-4 really good scripts a year is a hell of a lot better than 10 POS scripts.

Comment

i was holding back. if i said what i really meant women in every asian country would be blushing just by the mere hint of my exasperation.

Comment

Any way we can check out these pages of yours, Tigre?

Comment

okay, i'm abe lincoln, and you're a sold writer.

Comment

Working...
                                X