Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collaborator problems

A friend of a friend (not a writer) came to me with a great concept three years ago. I wrote the screenplay and it was quickly optioned for a good amount. The producer renewed the option for the second year and it's about to expire (said producer wasn't able to secure the funds). The problem is that this guy, my so-called collaborator, turned out to be a total dick. Not just with me, but with the producer and even our attorney. Still, we are 50/50 partners on the deal.

With the option about to expire, I have serious interest from another producer, plus a manager wants an exclusive on it. My attorney said that technically I can make a deal with anyone I want. Of course, the collaborator will get half of what it earns. Even though my attorney says I can technically do that, I would obviously like the guy to be on the same page with me and I'd like to include him in any deal upfront. And I think any producer would want us both to be on the same page before they do a deal. Again, the problem is that this guy is a total dick and totally unreasonable.

So, has anyone here had a similar issue with a collaborator, keeping in mind that we are 50/50 partners? I did write the entire script, but I know a deal is a deal.

Re: Collaborator problems

In what way(s), specifically, is this "partner" of yours doing being a dick/unreasonable? Is he insisting on getting more than his share? Is he being uncooperative in some other way? Please clarify...

Comment

Do you already have a writers collaboration agreement signed with the other writer?

Comment

We don't have a written collaboration agreement, but we are both listed on the current option deal and we both shared revenues equally, so that is definitely an implied equal partnership.

My argument is not that I want more than 50% share; I'll gladly share it equally. It was his concept. And he's not trying to take more than his 50% share. He's just belligerent as hell, argues with everybody (he has a big time anger management issue), and even balked at giving his W-9 to the producer that optioned the material -- and then gave me hell when I politely asked him to do it on behalf of the producer. Bottom line: he's very volatile and I can't even talk to him without him starting an argument. Same goes for everyone that knows him.

Comment

How involved does he want to be in the process?

Does he want to attend every meeting, be on every call and email, and feel the need to approve every rewrite? Does he have his own firm belief in the direction and vision for this project?

Or is he content to sit in the background, let other people sell it, and quietly collect his money?

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
            We don't have a written collaboration agreement, but we are both listed on the current option deal and we both shared revenues equally, so that is definitely an implied equal partnership.

My argument is not that I want more than 50% share; I'll gladly share it equally. It was his concept. And he's not trying to take more than his 50% share. He's just belligerent as hell, argues with everybody (he has a big time anger management issue), and even balked at giving his W-9 to the producer that optioned the material -- and then gave me hell when I politely asked him to do it on behalf of the producer. Bottom line: he's very volatile and I can't even talk to him without him starting an argument. Same goes for everyone that knows him.
            This, of course, is precisely the reason to have a writer's collaboration agreement in place in the first place. It would help if you could still get him to sign one that gives you the ability to market and sell the project on your own so long as the eventual sale meets certain criteria you've agreed upon, like the 50/50 split. I doubt you can accomplish that without an argument, but at least that would prevent a lot of future arguments from having to take place.

Comment

Use this as a writing sample and write something else. Something that is all your own. There are so many reasons for people to kill a project anywhere along the line to getting something sold/made, and your collaborator seems like a deal-killer.

Comment

Does the person wright? Or is he a passive rights holder? If it is a matter if buying the underlying rights and never having to deal with him again, financiers may overlook it (but you'd have to go straight to money). Otherwise, it may become a "life's too short" situation...

Comment

Working...
                X