No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunar Writing Exercise

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
    I'd have been impressed if you'd included using a laser cannon to write a script on the Lunar surface! I would totally accept that as a method of submission.
    Atmospheric dispersion prevents precision writing at lunar distances with terrestrial laser cannon, and the giant mirror for burning messages upon the surface of Mars, (advocated by Charles Cros), simply wouldn't do the job.

"Cros was convinced that pinpoints of light observed on Mars and Venus, probably high clouds illuminated by the sun, were the lights of large cities on those planets. He spent years petitioning the French government to build a giant mirror that could be used to communicate with the Martians and Venusians by burning giant lines on the deserts of those planets. He was never convinced that the Martians were not a proven fact, nor that the mirror he wanted was technically impossible to build." ~ Wikipedia
    Rockets are best for that sort of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBOPV3Fywk @ 1:10

"A group of astronomers had been observing extraordinary lights in the lunar crater Plato. The lights had definite arrangement. They were so individualized that Birt and Elger, and the other selenographers, who had combined to study them, had charted and numbered them. They were fixed in position, but rose and fell in intensity.

"...Perhaps there were definite messages in a Morse-like code. There is a chance for the electricity in somebody's imagination to start crackling. Up to April, 1871, the selenographers had recorded 1,600 observations upon the fluctuations of the lights of Plato, and had drawn 37 graphs of individual lights. All graphs and other records were deposited by W.R. Birt in the Library of the Royal Astronomical Society, where presumably they are to this day. A Champollion may some day decipher hieroglyphics that may have been flashed from one world to another."

~ Charles Hoy Fort, New Lands, (part 2 chapter 8)
    The lights seen by William Radcliffe Birt and Thomas Gwyn Elger were of sufficient interest that the Apollo 11 astronauts were asked to see if they saw anything of interest in that area.

"Houston, Apollo 11. Looking up at the same area now and it does seem to be reflecting some of the earthshine. I'm not sure whether it was worked out to be about zero phase to - Well, at least there is one wall of the crater that seems to be more illuminated than the others, and that one - if we are lining up with the Earth correctly, does seem to put it about at zero phase. That area is definitely lighter than anything else that I could see out this window. I am not sure that I am really identifying any phosphorescence, but that definitely is lighter than anything else in the neighborhood."

~ Edwin "Buzz" E. Aldrin Jr., http://inamidst.com/lights/lunar
    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Halloween Hellraisers Writing Exercise

I was in last time, at the very least I'll read the entries and judge...

...ah what the hell. It was good fun last time, I'm in. Writing around Halloween time is my favorite. Seriously love this time of year.
      INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
      Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

Sat morning and a quick dip in to see that the gang is forming...

I was hoping to play the Steve McQueen character and hold up my fingers to motion at Chris...

"that's seven..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0vqQjaXLOU

... but already it's more like... NINE.

Let's get a few more, who else is "in".

Even better.
        Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

nb-
          we can only offer a little rice, the pay is lousy, and there's no gold in those hills, whatever anybody tells you, but what we can offer... is some action.
          Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

I'm in.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I want to submit an adaptation of a short story, can I do that?
              "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Count me in.

"I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
                  Depends, did you write the short story?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                    Depends, did you write the short story?
                    Originally posted by Kermet Key View Post
                    That is indeed the question! You gotta own or license the material before you can adapt it, unless it's demonstrably out of copyright.

(Sorry don't mean to sound like the internet police, pompous ass division, just saying unauthorized use and posting can expose a site owner to legal action.)
                    Last edited by dpaterso; 09-22-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

What!

This is like a legitimate excuse to write about zombies.

This competition is so much #WINNING it hurts.
                      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I've just had a chat with Dpat over the issue of "multiple entries", as some may scribble out a couple of ideas, submit the best, or even, brave and industrious souls, submit both.

I think that if we do have anybody else here that wishes to do this, then that's fine, we get more writing up on the board, and it's something else to chew over in the voting stages.

Winning is nice, but the range of entries is one of the best aspects to this exercise, and having fun and enjoying it is even more important of course.

Good to see the latest sign-ups to this grim little venture since I was last in here, welcome aboard folks.

This just in by pm:

"Halloween for me was always these whacky parties at this kids house just round the corner. The dude's parents always put mountains of food and treats on these three tables and girls came too and we stuffed all night long and played games but sadly not doctors and nurses. Pheeeeewy. Anyway, one of these kids, Troy, he'd got these splayed teeth, he was all teeth and freckles this kid, so when it came to the apple-eating competition (you know, where the apples flloat in a barrel of water and all you have to get them out with your teeth), well, he was the King! Troy always got an apple out, always, and sometimes he got two at the same time... what a crazy goofy kid! I miss him now, and hey, guess what, now I work in a forklift truck plant where we stack... yeah, hundreds of sacks of .... apples, damn!"

Brad
                        -Boston

Many thanks Bradley. I love apples.
                        Last edited by The Road Warrior; 09-23-2012, 03:30 AM. Reason: to add Bradley's H'ween anecdote

Comment

I won't be doing this personally but thought I would throw out the question for any one wondering...

"Can I re-work and resubmit something I've entered previously?"

That ought to stir the pot a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                            I won't be doing this personally but thought I would throw out the question for any one wondering...

"Can I re-work and resubmit something I've entered previously?"

That ought to stir the pot a bit.

I don't see why not... Derek, what say you Sir?

It's still an act of creativity, I guess if you're using a pre-existing story of your own, and the structure lends itself to this, but you work and rework it into a Halloween piece, why not?

Comment

First Draft done-- 6 pages long at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
                                I don't see why not... Derek, what say you Sir?
                                Oh hell yeah, just let me tinker with all my previous entries and re-submit-- No, wait! I must write something new! But I'd have no problem if I recognized a short script from a previous contest. Why not try again with a re-vamped version?

Originally posted by CBurden View Post
                                First Draft done-- 6 pages long at the moment.
                                Great stuff!

I should note that I've already received an entry! And it's not even October yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X