Can someone explain the Black List to me?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain the Black List to me?

Yes, I know it may sound ridiculous, but I'm not quite sure yet what the black list is. Everyone on this forum is mentioning it. After visiting the site I got the impression that it's some sort of representation archive

If someone could explain to me some more details about the blacklist, I'd be quite grateful; even down to the basics such as how to join, or what happens to the scripts you register/send in

Thanks!

Re: Can someone explain the black list to me?

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=69300
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

At the risk of being an enabler (cuz you really should read the entire blacklist thread that Emily has so graciously reposted the link)

1) You creates an ID and you pays your $25 to host a script
      2) You uploads a script
      3) You wait and count the impressions til you just can't stands it no mo'... then...
      4) You buys a reader review for $50
      5) You waits and counts the days until the reviewer gits dun
      6) If you don't git 8s or more in anything, you skip to step 10
      7) If you gits 8 or more in anything, you does da happy dance and waits around some more for the newsletter to go out mentioning what a hunk o' burnin' love your script is.
      8) You buys another review so's you can make DA LIST if you can bamboozle another reader
      9) You repeats steps 5-7
      10) You rewrite the script and go back to step 2
      Auxilliary step 11) You writes another script and go to step 2.

Why, you ask??? Because if you DO gits a really good review, someone who can actually do something for your script/career may very well read it.
      But no guarantees, just like everything else in life.

Did I miss anything or screw up the explanation royally?

Comment

Originally posted by DangoForth View Post
        At the risk of being an enabler (cuz you really should read the entire blacklist thread that Emily has so graciously reposted the link)

2) You uploads a script
        3) You wait and count the impressions til you just can't stands it no mo'... then...
        7) If you gits 8 or more in anything, you does da happy dance and waits around some more for the newsletter to go out mentioning what a hunk o' burnin' love your script is.
        8) You buys another review so's you can make DA LIST if you can bamboozle another reader
        9) You repeats steps 5-7

Why, you ask??? Because if you DO gits a really good review, someone who can actually do something for your script/career may very well read it.

I think Franklin should add this to the FAQs section of the official website
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

The What, How and Why of the Black List: The Long Answer.

Comment

If you read nothing else about the black list, READ THIS!

Thanks for posting that, ATB.

Comment

2) You uploads a script

So let me ask a few things.

- You only need two positive reader reviews to make it on the list?
              - does it cost 25$ to use the site, or 25$ to get each script on the site?
              - how do the reader review work? Is it on a scale of 1-10? And what do you mean by impressions? How are those different from the reader reviews you buy?

Thanks!

Comment

2) You uploads a script
                9) You repeats steps 5-7

This might become ad copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv96 View Post
                  So let me ask a few things.

- You only need two positive reader reviews to make it on the list?
                  - does it cost 25$ to use the site, or 25$ to get each script on the site?
                  - how do the reader review work? Is it on a scale of 1-10? And what do you mean by impressions? How are those different from the reader reviews you buy?

Thanks!
                  I'm going to jump in here for a few reasons:

1. Thank you to everyone for posting your explanations on the site and sharing The What, The How, and The Why of the Black List the long answer. You're doing my work for me, doing it quite well, and I very much appreciate it.

2. Seriously, check out the thread Emily graciously posted. It will answer any question you could possibly have.

3. Email us. Contact addresses are on the About Page. We're always happy to answer any questions you might have.

4. One time only on this thread, some answers:

a. At present, the minimum # of ratings necessary to be included on the real time list of Top Uploaded Screenplays is 2.

b. $25 per script per month.

c. The reader review is on a scale of 1-10. It includes 1-10 scores on several components (character, dialogue, plot, premise) and an overalls core. It also includes a brief description of the script's greatest strengths and weaknesses and a paragraph on the script's commercial prospects.

We do not believe in an objective standard of great art at the Black List. Our readers, all of whom have at least a year experience reading as at least a first filter for a major Hollywood company, are instructed to rate the script based on their likelihood to recommend it to their peers or superiors in the industry.

Hope that helps. There's a ton of posts (literally, over 2000) on the other thread that answer myriad questions, and the essay others have shared does a reasonably good job as well (though obviously I'm biased.)

Comment

Liv, are you writing a magazine article? Care to tell us where we'll be able to read the piece?
                    "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                    Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Working...
                    X