Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Script Deals
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
Crayon

Default Re: Short story sells for 7 figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
Id argue it is not, in fact, curious or original at all. The matter-of-fact get-it-out-of-the-way from the jump approach is a shopworn (albeit still effective, IMO) approach in short storytelling.

The casualness of the first line is, again, a similar device. Read every Stephen King story ever, basically.
Satriales - Sorry, perhaps I've misunderstood you. (Maybe because you weren't actually replying to what you quoted me saying?)

So, exactly what "device" are you saying is in every Stephen King story?
Old 08-09-2020, 07:44 AM   #22
Satriales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayon View Post
Satriales - Sorry, perhaps I've misunderstood you. (Maybe because you weren't actually replying to what you quoted me saying?)

So, exactly what "device" are you saying is in every Stephen King story?
The common short story device of matter of factly telling you exactly what has already happened, what horrors were experienced. And the reader infers from the fact they are being narrated to in the first person, that the storyteller is alive.

“My friend LT never talks about how his wife disappeared, or how she’s dead, just another victim of the Axe Man, but he loves to tell the story of how she walked out on him.”
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #23
Crayon

Quote:
The common short story device of matter of factly telling you exactly what has already happened, what horrors were experienced. And the reader infers from the fact they are being narrated to in the first person, that the storyteller is alive.

My friend LT never talks about how his wife disappeared, or how shes dead, just another victim of the Axe Man, but he loves to tell the story of how she walked out on him.
Satriales - Thanks for explaining that device, which you say is in every Stephen King story. Now, if that's true, then I'm left wondering if the negation of stakes at the outset has ever made it from King's stories into any of their movie adaptations.

The example you've given is somewhat unhelpful. A narrator/storyteller isn't necessarily the protagonist, and so their being alive to tell the story doesn't mean that the protagonist in the story's movie adaptation will survive to the end.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #24
Satriales

Quote:
Satriales - Thanks for explaining that device, which you say is in every Stephen King story. Now, if that's true, then I'm left wondering if the negation of stakes at the outset has ever made it from King's stories into any of their movie adaptations.

The example you've given is somewhat unhelpful. A narrator/storyteller isn't necessarily the protagonist, and so their being alive to tell the story doesn't mean that the protagonist in the story's movie adaptation will survive to the end.
Ok, hold on, let me go through every Stephen King short and provide you with an example.

And as you say, it is largely irrelevant to what a feature execution would look like. But it is an extremely common tool in short stories.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:08 PM   #25
Crayon

Quote:
Ok, hold on, let me go through every Stephen King short and provide you with an example.

And as you say, it is largely irrelevant to what a feature execution would look like. But it is an extremely common tool in short stories.
Satriales - I don't see why you're being sarcastic, and especially not in that manner after you've previously "argued" a definitive point about "every Stephen King story ever".

Anyhow, at no point have I asked you for examples from King's short stories. You've merely imagined that. You chose to give an example and I've just pointed out that it's not a particularly fitting one because, unlike the story that this thread is about, in your example the narrator and protagonist are not the same person. That approach can be a way to avoid the negation of stakes that comes from having the protagonist narrate the story.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #26
Satriales

Quote:
Satriales - I don't see why you're being sarcastic, and especially not in that manner after you've previously "argued" a definitive point about "every Stephen King story ever".

Anyhow, at no point have I asked you for examples from King's short stories. You've merely imagined that. You chose to give an example and I've just pointed out that it's not a particularly fitting one because, unlike the story that this thread is about, in your example the narrator and protagonist are not the same person. That approach can be a way to avoid the negation of stakes that comes from having the protagonist narrate the story.
Is it exhausting, being this exhaustingly pedantic?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:37 PM   #27
Crayon

Quote:
Is it exhausting, being this exhaustingly pedantic?
Satriales - Pedantic, you call me? (And with a redundant comma, too.)

Oh my, I am slain!

So, exactly which unimportant details do you imagine I've been overly concerned with in this thread about a (not so) short story on a screenwriting forum? No, don't tell me - it's those trivial substantive differences between short story narratives and screen narratives, isn't it?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:53 PM   #28
Bono

Crayon device is to annoy everyone with his UK humour.

It works well. Maybe he can sell himself for $7 dollars.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:23 PM   #29
Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Crayon device is to annoy everyone with his UK humour.

It works well. Maybe he can sell himself for $7 dollars.
Bono - Sell myself for $7? What does that even mean? Is it something like a joke in an unproduced comedy?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 PM   #30
Bono

If you don't understand the joke, then I think we can only get $6 for you. Sorry to say. But don't worry, I only take 10%.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote