Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Intermediate & Advanced Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #21
Bono

Default Re: Picking Right Idea

Update it -- "Write an idea you love -- but also make it commercial."

So if you have 5 ideas and 3 of them aren't going to be loved by many and it's more niche -- choose from the other 2.

If you have an idea that you can make more commercial -- go that way.

Of course sometimes you just write from the heart and that turns out to be commerical like Hamilton. Any other creator -- given same idea -- even hip hop part -- it would be something you've never heard of. That's how thin it is.

Lin knows himself. The idea was attractive to him because of who he is... so some people are that amazing.

If you're more like me -- not a creative genius -- but a decent writer -- then think a minute before you commit to any idea. Let the whole thing play out.

Picture yourself trying to sell it. The logline. The movie poster. Who will star in the movie?

I have a lot of ideas where it's The Goonies kids age -- but they really don't make those movies as much as they do 30-50 year old actors, so maybe find a way to do the story that way... these little things like who the hell can they cast in your movie?
Old 07-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #22
Bono

The reason a lot of loglines "don't work" is because the idea itself isn't very good. You see people try to find the perfect logline, but it's like me trying to find a t-shirt that fits. My problem is my belly not the t-shirt. It's not your logline, it's your idea that isn't working.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #23
Why One

Depends who you're pitching to.

For me, a good idea writes itself. It inspires further ideas. You can see all the moving parts.

I've heard some ideas that producers/execs are excited about but sound terrible to me. When deciding on what idea to pitch for, I think you should look to see if you can make the idea work - if you can see the moving parts of the idea and whether those elements excite you.

I think this comes down to personal experience and knowing what you're capable of as a storyteller - and what interests you.

Low budget contained horror is what green writers are selling these days. If anyone can come up with another LIGHTS OUT, you'll be scoring lots of meetings.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #24
KitchonaSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
The reason a lot of loglines "don't work" is because the idea itself isn't very good. You see people try to find the perfect logline, but it's like me trying to find a t-shirt that fits. My problem is my belly not the t-shirt. It's not your logline, it's your idea that isn't working.
I'm perplexed by writers who write an entire script and then try to figure out the logline. For me if the story or character impulse doesn't lead me to a logline I put that impulse in a file titled "fragments," and move on to something that makes sense to me as a feature or series.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
Old 07-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #25
Satriales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Update it -- "Write an idea you love -- but also make it commercial."

So if you have 5 ideas and 3 of them aren't going to be loved by many and it's more niche -- choose from the other 2.

If you have an idea that you can make more commercial -- go that way.

Of course sometimes you just write from the heart and that turns out to be commerical like Hamilton. Any other creator -- given same idea -- even hip hop part -- it would be something you've never heard of. That's how thin it is.

Lin knows himself. The idea was attractive to him because of who he is... so some people are that amazing.

If you're more like me -- not a creative genius -- but a decent writer -- then think a minute before you commit to any idea. Let the whole thing play out.

Picture yourself trying to sell it. The logline. The movie poster. Who will star in the movie?

I have a lot of ideas where it's The Goonies kids age -- but they really don't make those movies as much as they do 30-50 year old actors, so maybe find a way to do the story that way... these little things like who the hell can they cast in your movie?
Many (ok, fine - a vast majority) of loglines and ideas I see here just arenít movies. I mean, they could be a movie. The writing is great. But the elevator pitch/loglines here? Not a movie.

Ideas are fvcking hard. So itís likely your serial killer logline isnít great.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #26
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post
I'm perplexed by writers who write an entire script and then try to figure out the logline. For me if the story or character impulse doesn't lead me to a logline I put that impulse in a file titled "fragments," and move on to something that makes sense to me as a feature or series.

Totally agree with you here. Once I have an idea I won't even think about outline or research until I can form a clear logline.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #27
lostfootage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchonaSteve View Post

Sounds like you're a writer who is more conceptual. Intuitive writers explore until they find it. I don't think there is only one way to find a good story.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #28
figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
Sounds like you're a writer who is more conceptual. Intuitive writers explore until they find it. I don't think there is only one way to find a good story.
Agree.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #29
Satriales

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
If youíre Stephen King, this would seem to be a prudent approach. Personally, I donít see it.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #30
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
Many (ok, fine - a vast majority) of loglines and ideas I see here just aren’t movies. I mean, they could be a movie. The writing is great. But the elevator pitch/loglines here? Not a movie.

Ideas are fvcking hard. So it’s likely your serial killer logline isn’t great.
That was my point of the thread for sure. And on/off board -- same thing happens. I pitch ideas myself and they are just one scene in a bigger movie, but sometimes you don't know that until you say it out loud.

But the key is to do whatever steps are necessary to develop ideas and make sure it's actually a good idea for a movie and not the first idea you had.

Sometimes loglines feel like "this person had this idea for a long time" and other ones are "they just thought of this idea at lunch."
Closed Thread