No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Floor/Ceiling & Other Stuff

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
    Margo.... That doesn't mean other writers can't or won't be brought in to rewrite you. That happens on every project. Or the director will do it. No one, unless they're also putting the money up themselves, is ever the sole writer, even when only one writer is credited. But it's ok. Making the deal and getting credit and seeing something you wrote, although changed, is the goal. Remember this so you don't go too crazy over it. Every script gets changed. Every one.

Madworld.... The deals I'm talking about were not options, but sales. And the production "bonus" was absolutely a step in each one. Part of the total sale price, which isn't really total unless each step is reached, like the majority of sales these days. The last option I had exercised to sale, I wasn't paid until the first day of principal photography... so I guess you could call it a production bonus. 😀 The only real bonus my reps ever set up for me on an option was a "set up" bonus if the script found a production home and a director was hired. Never happened though, unless it does in the next 30 days which I highly doubt.
    I know. I'm stealing myself......

Comment

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
      I know. I'm stealing myself......
      In fact, I'm getting the distinct feeling that all we "first-time" writers can expect is a good kick in the a$$.

Comment

In fact, I'm getting the distinct feeling that all we "first-time" writers can expect is a good kick in the a$$.
        Maybe there's some truth in that sometimes, but remember one writer's kick in the @$$ is another writer's opportunity.
        "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Since I got one last week, production bonus is easy to explain. It's a preset amount of money you get the day the film starts shooting. In vast majority of cases it's really not a bonus anyway but another in a set of payments making up your total sale price. When you see that someone sold something for a nice number, that money is never a lump sum but doled out over time in paid preset steps. It's paid as each milestone is reached. If they don't reach them, the money stops coming. Rewrites, polishes, production. In the case of TV stuff, another step can be network (any network including the Netflix types or cable types of the world) acceptance of your script. (I get that one a lot) All these are paid steps a writer takes to get their total sale price. If another writer is hired, that's less steps. If the film doesn't go into production? Less steps. Less money from your deal. If you set a sale price then ask for extra as a production bonus, yes... that's a real bonus. Most of the time, it's just a step built into the price they agree to.
          EdFury raises some important points here. Milestone contractor payments are one way of minimizing financial liabilities and offsetting repayments for the producer. It avoids having to make commitments for full payments in the event that a project is cancelled or delayed or taken over by the bond company etc. It's not that uncommon for projects to be completely dropped at certain stages, e.g. just before principal photography or just before post-production or just before release. With your lawyer's assistance try to make sure you receive the total sale price for your script, or at least the minimums, regardless of what stage of production the film reaches and that any bonuses are genuine bonuses.

As an aside, you'd be surprised how many directors go into post production really optimistic about what they've shot, only to discover that it's just not working out how they envisaged. There's a lot of chemistry and x-factor and magic at work.

Comment

The last option I had exercised to sale, I wasn't paid until the first day of principal photography... so I guess you could call it a production bonus.
            Not -- . Congrats on your results. First day of principal photography is the most common milestone for writer payments and it's usually the biggest payday for the production. Most contractors get their first main tranche on that day.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidK View Post
              Not -- . Congrats on your results. First day of principal photography is the most common milestone for writer payments and it's usually the biggest payday for the production. Most contractors get their first main tranche on that day.
              You are correct, sir.

Comment

Maybe there's some truth in that sometimes, but remember one writer's kick in the @$$ is another writer's opportunity.

Is that supposed to make me feel better? ;-)

Comment

Is that supposed to make me feel better? ;-)
                  Haha - the intended meaning was that it might depend on how you choose to view the experience. But there's no question it can be a painful journey. Let yourself feel better about it anyway - xmas gift to self.

Comment

Haha - the intended meaning was that it might depend on how you choose to view the experience. But there's no question it can be a painful journey. Let yourself feel better about it anyway - xmas gift to self.

I get ya, David and I'm trying. I'm also trying to imagine getting to a point in this journey when one doesn't have to take so much sh!t.

So I'm clinging to the "little things," like receiving the short list of actors for my lead, from the casting director. It's what's passing for "fun." For now. :-)

Comment

I get ya, David and I'm trying. I'm also trying to imagine getting to a point in this journey when one doesn't have to take so much sh!t.

So I'm clinging to the "little things," like receiving the short list of actors for my lead, from the casting director. It's what's passing for "fun." For now. :-)
                      There's never a point, as a writer, where you don't take ****. Part of the job. But there are also high points that make the **** survivable. You'll get there.

Comment

There's never a point, as a writer, where you don't take ****. Part of the job. But there are also high points that make the **** survivable. You'll get there.
                        Can I buy you a drink?

;-)

Comment

Can I buy you a drink?

;-)
                          Would love it. Anytime.

Comment

Would love it. Anytime.

When I make it to CA, I'll let you know. :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X