Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversity?

I've been told that the only way to break-in as a staff writer is through a diversity hire. Does being half-Chinese count for diversity? If so, how can I capitalize on it? I know there are several TV fellowships: ABC, NBC, FOX, WB, and Carl Sautter. Besides entering a fellowship, would you have any other suggestions?

Re: Diversity?

If you're aiming for a diversity fellowship, yeah, ID yourself as Chinese. Whatever. People who tell you that's the only way in, or even a common way in, are wrong.

This is how you break in:

Having said that, you’re ALSO right—there are certain goalposts that tend to mark the most common paths. Here’s how the ladder often works, with each step usually taking AT LEAST a year… and usually more…

1) Intern or runner
    2) Production Assistant (PA)
    3) Writers’ PA
    4) Writers Assistant

So, that’s usually about a four-year path… assuming there are no bumps or setbacks along the way… and there are ALWAYS bumps along the way. Shows get cancelled mid-season. Assistants don’t get promoted. Bosses hire friends. Budgets limit who showrunners can hire.
    This guy is well on his way to breaking in. Do what he did, or try to.

Disney and NBC are diversity programs. So is CBS. They all take Euros too, so no harm in applying. WB is not a diversity program and some successful writers, including Marc Cherry, have gone through the WB program.

There are other ways in. Stand up comedy is a route for sitcom writers. Some writers were agency or prodco assistants before they got staffed.
    If you really like it you can have the rights
    It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Re: Diversity?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X