Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freelance ratio on established series

I'm reading in this forum that it's good to have a tv spec script in your back pocket as a writing sample. I also read in the WGA docs that shows are required to hire a certain number of freelance writers, to allow new talent to break in.

So I'm asking ye sages, from a practical perspective, how does one ascertain which shows are more open to new talent, in other words the ratio of freelance to staff writers? Or do you just write for the show that you love the most since this is primarily a sample, anyway?

Along those same lines, what will have the most professional impact - writing a spec for a show that you are passionate about (a 10 on the passion scale), regardless of budget or ratings, or writing a spec for a show that you enjoy (maybe a 7) that is more successful?

Thanks

Re: Freelance ratio on established series

the freelance assignments almost always go to the (non-union) writer's assistant or other referrals to the showrunner. the days of accepting essentially unsolicited freelance episodes are, by and large, over.

Comment

Originally posted by ap0110 View Post
      I'm reading in this forum that it's good to have a tv spec script in your back pocket as a writing sample. I also read in the WGA docs that shows are required to hire a certain number of freelance writers,
      2 on a network full season order. But if they hire no one they just buy them out.

to allow new talent to break in.
      Not specific to new talent, but just to create jobs. - in theory

So I'm asking ye sages, from a practical perspective, how does one ascertain which shows are more open to new talent, in other words the ratio of freelance to staff writers?
      These are not open positions. 90% of free-lance episodes go to assistants on the show. After that to a friend of the showrunner's. Sometimes the star of the show will want to do an episode, or someone that works with that actor.

If there is a real need for help, the showrunner will hire a writer with experience so they know what they'll get, but free-lance episodes to outside writers are pretty much a thing of the past.

Or do you just write for the show that you love the most since this is primarily a sample, anyway?
      Yes. Highly recommend writing the show you love the most, though these days original pilots are what everybody wants to see.

Along those same lines, what will have the most professional impact - writing a spec for a show that you are passionate about (a 10 on the passion scale), regardless of budget or ratings, or writing a spec for a show that you enjoy (maybe a 7) that is more successful?

Thanks
      Programs like Disney and Warner Bros. ask for spec scripts and those are primarily the places where a spec will have any impact. You don't want to write a show nobody has seen. You need to balance critical popularity with ratings success.

If you are being considered for work or representation, they will want to see original work.

Comment

Jimjim, thanks - that's some great information. It's tough trying to cull fact from fiction when you have no direct experience in a particular area.

For example, I've been getting conflicting information on the subject of spec pilots. I read (and hear in podcasts) that spec pilots are *never* bought from "unproven" writers. So if pilots go to writers with a track record and episodes of existing series go to writer's assistants / friends / stars / etc, then is the sole purpose of this spec just to serve as a writing sample?

Thanks for such a thorough answer. I appreciate it!

Comment

For example, I've been getting conflicting information on the subject of spec pilots. I read (and hear in podcasts) that spec pilots are *never* bought from "unproven" writers. So if pilots go to writers with a track record and episodes of existing series go to writer's assistants / friends / stars / etc, then is the sole purpose of this spec just to serve as a writing sample?
          Yes, it serves as a writing sample.

But it also shows that you're capable of creating interesting original material, which initially can help you get signed by a rep and later can help you get a development gig once you have some experience.

Comment

Working...
          X