Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Selling a spec pilot

Yeah, my agent'll make calls for me. I'm a little concerned that he only knows big fish (I'm not even a minnow), from another client of his whose novels get made into movies as a matter of course.

I'm hesitating about asking the producer, probably stupidly. I guess because I suspect this will go nowhere. And I need to do a little more reading about the agent/manager/lawyer thing, as well ...

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Got this info in an e-mail today, don't know anything about who you would be submitting to, but passing it along in case it helps anyone who has a tv pilot ready. Mine are still at the planning stages.

http://www.networkisa.org/#/tv-netwo...ons/4571013427

Comment

Thanks very much for asking, jrandross.

Things are progressing well. We had a hard time attaching showrunners to the script during pitch season because they all have their own pet projects they've been planning to pitch, so the strategy was to find a "shepherd" for our script (basically an EP once all is said and done) who could get it to the upper levels of the networks and if one were to bite we would then go after a showrunner with network backing. After pilot scripts for pitches come in, some are invariably rejected, so those showrunners now become available. That's what we're looking at in the coming month. But, as of now, we did find a POD and the perfect shepherd (a former studio head), and we are out to several networks right now, so just biting my nails to the bone until we hear back from them.

As for your question... I wouldn't shy any from "writing for free" at all in the world of TV and film. It's what I've been doing for a few years, and am just now landing my first paid assignments. Your move from fiction to TV is sort of semi-lateral, and I would obviously use all the contacts you currently have, but I wouldn't expect everyone to jump overnight. I really think the best business model out there is, as you say, leveraging yourself, your scripts, your contacts, etc., into the next scripts, contacts, etc. Keep leveraging one project into the next, build a foundation on them, get to know more people, and eventually all that will pay off. It's a never-ending game of building on your past successes (and learning from the failures), even, I suspect, when you get to the top.

As for when you get paid, as far as I know, it's when the network buys your script. I guess a producer or POD could cut you a check and option or buy it for him/herself, but I don't think that happens unless you're a name. For me though, the money isn't nearly as valuable right now as the contacts and the opening doors. My philosophy is even if something doesn't sell, as long as it gets me some more asphalt to pave that road to Hollywood, I'm happy.

One final thought: I would definitely approach your lit agent about adapting some of your published material for TV. If it has any track record of sales or a fan base, however small, that's probably more appealing to execs than a complete original spec. Also might be a good way to get your current reps to start to mingle with the TV side of things and make intros.

Best of luck!

Comment

Since selling pilots is so hard for unproven tv writers has anyone tried to use the script to get you staffed...that would be more likely outcome.

Comment

Definitely, on my end. That's one of my goals right now.

Comment

Working...
            X