Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showrunner, me

Is it possible, say if my show gets picked up, that i could share show runner credit, though this will be my first show?

If I created the story and have set the season's direction and of course know the characters inside-out as the creator, how could I give this up to a showrunner who could **** up the story? Or turn it into his POV?

How could any writer that gets his/her big break avoid this situation? Do we say, "Ok, I'm not the showrunner since I don't have a TV operations track record but I want to control the storyline, as to where it goes next.

Has this been done? Just curious.

Re: Showrunner, me

Originally posted by actiontalogy View Post
    Is it possible, say if my show gets picked up, that i could share show runner credit, though this will be my first show?

If I created the story and have set the season's direction and of course know the characters inside-out as the creator, how could I give this up to a showrunner who could **** up the story? Or turn it into his POV?

How could any writer that gets his/her big break avoid this situation? Do we say, "Ok, I'm not the showrunner since I don't have a TV operations track record but I want to control the storyline, as to where it goes next.

Given the way you worded your question... no. Not even a maybe. Showrunning is not just about story. Showrunning is politics and management and finance and human resources and meeting impossible deadlines and logistics and ego stroking and advertising and, and, and.... oh, yeah, some writing in there too.

You work with a creative team to craft a series, where you've got the brilliant minds of four of five people to draw on. They aren't just your typewriting monkeys, they have talent to contribute, ideas to add, story lines worthy of exploring. You've got actors cast who stand up to the material, outshine the material, or fall seriously short -- and the series needs to adapt to that. Hopefully all of this takes a story in magical places for a very long time.

If your show gets picked up, have your rep negotiate the best she or he can, then relax and enjoy the ride. Take "created by", a nice staff writer job, then learn, learn, learn. If you're worried about someone else mucking about with your show, then you may need to reconsider whether you're a good match for TV land.

Comment

I get your opinion.

Who's better suited to get a writer close to what he/she may want? Lawyer or tough agent?

Comment

I agree with MoviePen.

You won't get be showrunner right out of the gates. Those people are experienced and can manage budgets, money, cast, crew, writing, studios, networks, etc. The best thing you could hope for is getting a showrunner who is collaborative and willing to hear your vision out.

Even if you are a showrunner you still have a writing staff (excluding Nic Pizzalatto), and there is no way to effectively write a show being a dictator of your stories. TV is a collaborative medium and you get your next job by others saying you were easy to get a long with in a room.

We went back and forth on my pilot about whether to attach a showrunner after attaching a director, and the studio decided they didn't want anyone coming in and taking over this early in the process. We are pitching in a couple weeks and if it moves forward we will definitely bring in a showrunner -- I can only hope it's someone who is collaborative and wants to make the best show possible. But I have no ego To believe that I came up with the best route for the show, that's the great thing about picking the brains of 6-8 other people. You get to cherry pick the great ideas and follow those leads.

An agent will negotiate the broader terms with the studio/network but they only have some much room to navigate, especially when it's newer or unknown writers. You don't want to blow a deal because of the demands. A lawyer negotiates a lot as well but can only push so far.

Just some things to think about but definitely good luck moving forward. Let us know how it turns out.
        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Understood. My confusion comes with the writing. As creator and hearing out 4 to 8 writers in the room, who picks the ideas (out of the bunch) for subsequent episodes? You say it's the show runner / creator?

Say for Chicago Fire, Derek Haas (brilliant) came in as creator, EP with Dick Wolf Showrunning, always wondered who sets the pace, and if Derek actually chooses what will be picked in subsequent episodes. I assume from what I've read that he writes the episodes out then submits them for notes to Dick Wolf and the rest of his talented staff.

Am I on track here? If So, so Derek has a good amount of his vision intact.

Comment

Understood. My confusion comes with the writing. As creator and hearing out 4 to 8 writers in the room, who picks the ideas (out of the bunch) for subsequent episodes? You say it's the show runner / creator?

Say for Chicago Fire, Derek Haas (brilliant) came in as creator, EP with Dick Wolf Showrunning, always wondered who sets the pace, and if Derek actually chooses what will be picked in subsequent episodes. I assume from what I've read that he writes the episodes out then submits them for notes to Dick Wolf and the rest of his talented staff.

Am I on track here? If So, so Derek has a good amount of his vision intact.
            Every room is different, as is every showrunner. It depends on how much they are in the room, if they trust their staff or want to sign off on the stories being broken, other high levels in the room (like a trusted #2). But it can be a group effort where something doesn't go on the board unless everyone agrees it's a good idea or going in the right direction -- and even then, things can change and be thrown out and redone.

It's too hard to speculate unless you know the factors that would be involved -- showrunner personality, who a studio or network trusts to bring in, your vision, how much they are willing to let you keep, etc.
            Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

The two posters above me have said all you need to know. Best case scenario is you're a writer/Co-EP and have a spot in the writer's room. That's it. I'm sure the showrunner will want to hear your vision, but ultimately it's their neck on the line.

There's good precedence for having a stronger role in the second season (ie: Aaron Korsh/Suits)
              "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

I get your opinion.

Who's better suited to get a writer close to what he/she may want? Lawyer or tough agent?
                You can craft a contract that orders everyone to listen to you, but there will probably be only one signature on that contract.

You fear what's going to happen to the story once it's a show. How deep is that fear? (Don't need an answer, just food for thought.) If you can't let it go, then write a novel.

Comment

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
                  But I have no ego To believe that I came up with the best route for the show, that's the great thing about picking the brains of 6-8 other people. You get to cherry pick the great ideas and follow those leads.
                  It is a magical experience to collaborate with a group of talented people. To have the deep wells of creativity, experience, and ideas at your back and call -- and to give of your own well. This is why we (should) take our stories to one medium or another. This can elevate a story beyond your wildest expectations.

(The opposite is true of course, but so it goes.)

Comment

I'll be pitching a show to the cable networks in a few weeks, as well, and have to echo what others have said about what a privilege it is to have other creative minds on board with your project. The director thought of a direction for my show that I had only hinted at in the pilot, but without his vision and without him seeing that potential angle, it would have never interested his agents (at UTA) who are the ones setting up the pitches. I'm just focused on the pitch right now, but when and if it should make it to the screen I think I'd feel lucky just to have a staff writing position.

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                      I'll be pitching a show to the cable networks in a few weeks, as well, and have to echo what others have said about what a privilege it is to have other creative minds on board with your project. The director thought of a direction for my show that I had only hinted at in the pilot, but without his vision and without him seeing that potential angle, it would have never interested his agents (at UTA) who are the ones setting up the pitches. I'm just focused on the pitch right now, but when and if it should make it to the screen I think I'd feel lucky just to have a staff writing position.
                      Congrats, grumps!

Comment

Don't think of show runner as a credit, it's a job. A very demanding one requiring specific skills and usually training or experience, as others have pointed out.

Comment

If you haven't yet, it'd probably be, if not certainly be, in your best interest to listen to the "Children of Tendu" podcast. I am pretty sure I noted this in another thread, but they don't have the most polished sounding podcast and they veer a little here & there, but the guys know what they are talking about when it comes to writing for TV, showrunners, staff writers, etc.

Start with one and work to thirteen: http://childrenoftendu.libsyn.com/

In particular, you should listen to episodes 7, 8, 9 and 12.
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Anointed View Post
                            Congrats, grumps!
                            Thanks! It's actually been almost two years now since I first wrote this pilot -- so it's been a long journey. I actually think the hook/concept/pitch is strong and has a good chance of selling. After that, though -- selling the pilot script itself/getting the pilot made, and then the pilot converting to series, and then the series making it on the air, well... who knows... Considering that it's the first pilot I ever wrote, though, I feel very fortunate to have even made it this far!

Comment

Thxs!! I should be very happy that my story is being packaged. I was just in the dark as to the inside. I'll listen in on that podcast.

There was a big debate between Network and Cable (pitching). Network is restricted in the way of story boundaries plus if by Epi 2 or so it doesn't deliver, it's canceled as opposed to Cable which gives a show a chance, some even two years to get their feet running.

Comment

Working...
                              X