This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Script Shadow in the NY Times!

I don't think anybody really meant that about the screenplay (at least I didn't), it was just sarcasm.

But, honestly, an article is "like a good screenplay"? "He couldn't include every thought everyone has ever had about Scriptshadow"?

Emily's quote isn't "an accurate statement"; it's been manipulated (taken out of context) to make it sound like Emily's POV on the whole subject is much more supportive than it actually is. And then manipulated a second time opposing it to August's, clearly negative, implying Emily isn't.

The subject of the article doesn't deserve much discussion because it's been discussed plenty already, but the article itself is very questionable in the way it portrays some opinions and in the picture it paints on the whole debate. And it's also very superficial.

I'm sorry, man, but with arguments like those I've quoted above... what did you expect? The journalist wasn't "building a narrative" as much as he was lying. The least he should do is represent the different opinions fairly and accurately; if he's into "building narratives", maybe he should try writing fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
      I hope he gets rich. Who the fvck cares. There is a weird sub-culture of screenwriting these days. And it's been stoked and nurtured by gurus. Now it's a world unto itself. Carson should take everyone's money and offer them his advice -- despite having never been involved with a movie.

People pay for Barbazon modeling and all kinds of other goofy sh!t too.

Also, fvck "vertical writing" and looking for ways to leave "white space." Go ahead and master a style of writing that makes it easy for execs to skim. Throw the alley oop to whoever's gonna rewrite you instead of trying to wind your sh!t so tight that is' very difficult to tinker with. And fvck all the people (including those who work in Hollywood) who prefer imitation Shane Black.

What are we talking about here? Practice? We're taking about practice?
      This.

Ps: Be sure to tack a definitive, staccato "this" to spot-on posts to imply your authority and above-the-fray aloofité.
      Last edited by Shari Hari; 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM. Reason: This.

Comment

I hope he gets rich. Who the fvck cares. There is a weird sub-culture of screenwriting these days. And it's been stoked and nurtured by gurus. Now it's a world unto itself. Carson should take everyone's money and offer them his advice -- despite having never been involved with a movie.

People pay for Barbazon modeling and all kinds of other goofy sh!t too.

Also, fvck "vertical writing" and looking for ways to leave "white space." Go ahead and master a style of writing that makes it easy for execs to skim. Throw the alley oop to whoever's gonna rewrite you instead of trying to wind your sh!t so tight that is' very difficult to tinker with. And fvck all the people (including those who work in Hollywood) who prefer imitation Shane Black.
        Thank you.

Comment

just woke up. i was gonna delete that post. lol

good morning vietnam!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
            The journalist wasn't "building a narrative" as much as he was lying.
            As I said, I sympathize with Emily, but her quote accurately reflected her opinion then, and still reflects many people's opinions now. For all we know, the reporter had included a paragraph showing Emily's change of heart, only for it to be cut by the editors - that's what I mean by 'building a narrative' - and that's always the danger in talking to journalists.

I don't see any lies here - Emily took an unfair, but slight and meaningless hit, but the overall story is accurate and fairly damning of Carson in the cold light of day.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari Hari View Post
              This.

Ps: Be sure to tack a definitive, staccato "this" to spot-on posts to imply your authority and above-the-fray aloofité.
              That!
              If you really like it you can have the rights
              It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

just woke up. i was gonna delete that post. lol

good morning vietnam!
                You and I should not insomniac-post about S.S.

Comment

People here are reading this article much the same way screenwriters read notes. They are latching on to the bits they view as "bad- and not noticing the bits that balance the thing out. As with notes, it might make sense to go back and take another look, because as karlosd points out, the article is fair.

Also, it's silly to expect the NY Times to object to a person commenting in public on leaked material without seeking approval from the authors. They do it themselves every day of the week and expend vast resources defending their first amendment right to do so.

It's also a bit ironic that people are so keen to support the Black List, which charges fees for the promise of access. But when Carson does that, it's wrong. Most of the things ScriptShadow does are free and without obligation to pay. By contrast, you can't sign up to the Black List without your credit card.

And before you say "but Carson's setting himself up as a Producer-, ask yourself what Franklin Leonard's old job was and what job he was doing when he accrued his credibility.

It's a shame that the gatekeepers' gatekeepers are increasingly requiring payment, but it seems like a trend that's not going away. Both the Black List and ScriptShadow can make a case that they can deliver on the promise made. The real crooks are consultants and contests that have no evidence of being able to deliver positive results.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie428 View Post
                    People here are reading this article much the same way screenwriters read notes. They are latching on to the bits they view as "bad- and not noticing the bits that balance the thing out. As with notes, it might make sense to go back and take another look, because as karlosd points out, the article is fair.

Also, it's silly to expect the NY Times to object to a person commenting in public on leaked material without seeking approval from the authors. They do it themselves every day of the week and expend vast resources defending their first amendment right to do so.

It's also a bit ironic that people are so keen to support the Black List, which charges fees for the promise of access. But when Carson does that, it's wrong. Most of the things ScriptShadow does are free and without obligation to pay. By contrast, you can't sign up to the Black List without your credit card.

And before you say "but Carson's setting himself up as a Producer-, ask yourself what Franklin Leonard's old job was and what job he was doing when he accrued his credibility.

It's a shame that the gatekeepers' gatekeepers are increasingly requiring payment, but it seems like a trend that's not going away. Both the Black List and ScriptShadow can make a case that they can deliver on the promise made. The real crooks are consultants and contests that have no evidence of being able to deliver positive results.
                    They need someone to hate on. Funny thing is, Carson wouldn't be this famous if it wasn't for his haters.

He's like the Justin Bieber of screenwriting.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                      They need someone to hate on. Funny thing is, Carson wouldn't be this famous if it wasn't for his haters.

He's like the Justin Bieber of screenwriting.
                      Justin Bieber can play instruments and sort of sing.

I am definitely not a Carson hater, but I see the potential harm in his approach. He needs to make the leap from consultant to producer. He should really try and land a job with a legitimate company where he can learn.

Comment

Writers want to give him money...is he foolish to take it?

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                          Justin Bieber can play instruments and sort of sing.

I am definitely not a Carson hater, but I see the potential harm in his approach. He needs to make the leap from consultant to producer. He should really try and land a job with a legitimate company where he can learn.
                          That's what I've been saying all along, he needs to leave the consulting business.

I know you're not a Carson hater, but we've got a lot of them on this board. Enough proof is the fact that there's a Scriptshadow thread each week.

Comment

Originally posted by Gillyflower Cooms View Post
                            Writers want to give him money...is he foolish to take it?
                            Yes.

Comment

This read like a publicity piece. Interesting that it comes out so close to his site relaunch.

Agree Emily was quoted out of context, but wonder if the writer was given a task (cover ScriptShadow) and kind of smelled what he was really cooking. I love that the last quote about him is that he's written bad screenplays.

Really I always feel like the Writer Store gets shafted in this whole Disciple Program narrative. The script was polished thanks to their work, and the only person who ever gets any credit (or even debated credit) is Christopher Eads. Meanwhile, many others did more work than he ever did.

Comment

I don't think Carson is ready to be a producer. I'll give two examples. How hard is it to tell when you have a great script or an above average script? Geoff you and Michael B, and my manager read stacks of terrible scripts every day. They come by the bundle. Disciple Program, by page 5 you would know you are reading a script that is above the norm.

A producer can take a script like Disciple Program and make it the next Bourne, taking the script the next level. Can Carson do that? Does he possess those skills? As of right now, I would say no. He can pin point problems, so can many people. I think his taste is off and he doesn't know how to elevate material.

If you are not able to bring together elements; cast, financing, studio, etc. And you can't elevate material to the next level, why would anyone want you to produce their flick? I think he is better off trying to be a manager. But he says it takes up too much time? That's disrespectful to the manager profession. And his screenwriting ability or lack thereof is disrespectful to us writers who loose sleep, relationships, money, and years all trying to perfect the craft we love so much.

Christopher Eads needs to humble himself. Then, he needs to evaluate his business. I have no problem with him trying to make his paper. I have a problem with him wanting to be a f*cking leech. there's enough of those in this bizness. He needs to have respect for the work all the cogs in this Hollywood system put in, then choose whatever path he wants. At this time, I feel he's a guy who realizes he has limited talent, and is trying to find the easiest path to the mighty $.

It's telling that Tyler (the writer of Disciple Program), who he's sponged off his success to build his name, doesn't f*ck with the guy. What does that tell you about his character?

Comment

Working...
                                X