X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Originally posted by sallain View Post
    Thanks so much, upandcoming! The Black List has been very good to me. A lot of exciting things are happening.

One thing I've learned: don't take your script down too soon and try to be patient. (Not one of my virtues.) It takes more than a month or two for things to happen/word to spread.
    Great to hear!! And good to know...
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Following up on my last post:

1st evaluation: Purchased on 9/15 and by 9/22 I had an evaluation scored as a 7.

2nd evaluation: Purchased on 9/26 and by 10/2 I had an evaluation scored as a 3.

Some notes:

1) Reader suggestions from review #1 were implemented. I considered this an "improved" draft.

2) I've been given a discounted eval, which I will take advantage of tomorrow (I.E. Payday)

3) The 2nd Eval didn't talk about a pivotal supporting character, and seemed surprised by plot turns that were foreshadowed in dialogue (I.E. "I think this is going to happen to you").

4) 1st reviewer said the dialogue was "Brash, Authentic" . 2nd reviewer said the dialogue needed work.

Overall I'm still very happy with the Black List. I've paid for 5 reviews, and of those 3 were very helpful and 2 have been "skimmy". But at $50 dollars a read + exposure, you can't beat that.

Comment

Just wanted to bump this thread. I joined this forum about a year ago when hype around BL was pretty high.

I know there are some talented writers on here who have scored high, or at least an 8 once. Just wanted to send out an inquiry to everyone to see how it has shaken out for you.

I garnered a few 8's on the site last year and got some downloads but nothing came of it. I eventually took the project down and became a little disillusioned by the quality of the reviews (who HASN'T gotten a discounted eval or a review scrapped at least once?) and the hierarchy of the top lists.

I will of course concede BL has brought success to some writers and that's enough reason for any serious writer to give it a try. But after getting a 3 on a project that got me a Recommend at ScriptPipeline, a top one percent score at Screencraft and a top 30 finish at Pipeline's contest and a free invite to their Pitchfest...I started to get the vibe that the BL might not be what their truly sleek website makes it out to be.

Sorry this has no questions for FL, I'm sure he's a cool dude. Just wanted to hear from other writers. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryDee View Post
          I will of course concede BL has brought success to some writers and that's enough reason for any serious writer to give it a try. But after getting a 3 on a project that got me a Recommend at ScriptPipeline, a top one percent score at Screencraft and a top 30 finish at Pipeline's contest and a free invite to their Pitchfest...I started to get the vibe that the BL might not be what their truly sleek website makes it out to be.
          And what did being top 1% at Screencraft, top 30 in Pipeline's contest, and your free invite to their Pitchfest get you in terms of results?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            And what did being top 1% at Screencraft, top 30 in Pipeline's contest, and your free invite to their Pitchfest get you in terms of results?
            Umm Cameron at Screencraft has been pretty cool. He tried to get me a read at Yari and Resolution but nothing came of that. I had actually already gotten a request from Resolution and later spoke to him while waiting for the read...They just folded though. Cameron put me on some master list they have for when they make references to studios etc. A lot of services claim similar things, who knows what that really means. It's of course possible he never inquired on my behalf anywhere, right? Lol

I got about four requests from the Pitchfest, one from Darko and some other smaller places. Haven't heard back, but mentioning the Pitchfest placement got me about four requests through Virtual Pitchfest. Waiting to hear back like we all inevitably are. I have a relationship with the general manager at Pipeline but that was before the Pitchfest anyway.

I didn't mean to insinuate those avenues are more sure things than BL. I actually believe most places that say they connect you have not just a low rate of people who pass their threshold, but a low rate of helping the people that actually DO pass their threshold. Pipeline has one of the better track records around but their major successes are really spread across a few writers. There's always this notion like "Well if it's good enough, with our cosign you will get some traction". I'm not entirely sure how true that is.

I don't write studio projects by any stretch so I have other road blocks facing me besides the idea these services haven't delivered after doing well with them. They all are quite explicit in promising nothing lol but we all have to do what we can for the chance right?
            Last edited by HarryDee; 10-21-2014, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I've scored a 7 with 8's in some categories on the BL. It got me several downloads, but I never heard from anyone who downloaded it. Although something identical went into production with one of the bigwigs, identical characters, story ect... Which made me paranoid wondering if my script had been downloaded and basically plundered of ideas...
              I recently put a new script up, and got an instant pro download that very night before I'd had any reader's ratings back. I took it down when I got my disappointing scores and did a re-write, re-listed it and got an instant pro download without a pro member looking at my page... Which I thought was a bit odd... But apparently they can still download without necessarily looking at your page...
              Anyway my point with all of this is... I have no industry contacts, and trying to get an agent to even read your work here in the UK is basically impossible, they either ignore you, or politely write back stating "we're a small agency, and not taking on new clients". The bigger agencies want a reference from a professional such as a producer, before they will even consider to read your work... The BL is one avenue, and some people have had amazing success with it, but it's a tool, it can't perform any miracles, either it happens for you there, or it doesn't... Maybe nothing will ever come from the downloads I received, but there's always that remote chance, and without the BL, I wouldn't have that chance... The industry is hard, beyond belief hard, unless you're the talentless kid of some bigwig of course

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
                I've scored a 7 with 8's in some categories on the BL. It got me several downloads, but I never heard from anyone who downloaded it. Although something identical went into production with one of the bigwigs, identical characters, story ect... Which made me paranoid wondering if my script had been downloaded and basically plundered of ideas...
                I recently put a new script up, and got an instant pro download that very night before I'd had any reader's ratings back. I took it down when I got my disappointing scores and did a re-write, re-listed it and got an instant pro download without a pro member looking at my page... Which I thought was a bit odd... But apparently they can still download without necessarily looking at your page...
                Anyway my point with all of this is... I have no industry contacts, and trying to get an agent to even read your work here in the UK is basically impossible, they either ignore you, or politely write back stating "we're a small agency, and not taking on new clients". The bigger agencies want a reference from a professional such as a producer, before they will even consider to read your work... The BL is one avenue, and some people have had amazing success with it, but it's a tool, it can't perform any miracles, either it happens for you there, or it doesn't... Maybe nothing will ever come from the downloads I received, but there's always that remote chance, and without the BL, I wouldn't have that chance... The industry is hard, beyond belief hard, unless you're the talentless kid of some bigwig of course
                Thanks for the response, man. I agree, all we can do is grind and try and exploit every option open to us. The industry is remarkably insular. Even the worst movie you've ever seen took a lot of work to make happen. I'm a fan of anything that tilts this a little towards the unknown writer.
                Last edited by HarryDee; 10-21-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Hey Franklin,

Saw the Black List's promotion for its second birthday on Facebook (thanks!) and I definitely want to take advantage. I also know that the scripts I want to put up need another pass. Do we know how long the promotion will be in effect?

Grazie

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                    Hey Franklin,

Saw the Black List's promotion for its second birthday on Facebook (thanks!) and I definitely want to take advantage. I also know that the scripts I want to put up need another pass. Do we know how long the promotion will be in effect?

Grazie
                    Can't make any promises but there's a reasonable chance it may end up being permanent.

Comment

Did anyone actually win the Martin Katz fellowship?

Comment

Originally posted by jariax View Post
                        Did anyone actually win the Martin Katz fellowship?
                        http://deadline.com/2014/09/toronto-...-prize-832013/

Comment

Can you tell us about the last success story?

Comment

Although I've still yet to personally use the Black List myself, I must say that when I was at Austin, several speakers, panelists, etc. referenced it as a way in, with the writers among them saying if they were starting out, it would be one of the paths they'd take. So there is an awareness within the working community.

Comment

Originally posted by carcar View Post
                              Although I've still yet to personally use the Black List myself, I must say that when I was at Austin, several speakers, panelists, etc. referenced it as a way in, with the writers among them saying if they were starting out, it would be one of the paths they'd take. So there is an awareness within the working community.
                              What she said.

Also, pros seem to find value in the vetting done by BL reader scores.

Comment

Regarding the "end-of-year" Black List proper: does anyone know when voting actually occurs? I assume it must begin soon if the list comes out in early December.

Comment

Working...
                                X