No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Ingmar Bergamn Films

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
    If you want to fuck shit up a bit and think outside the box (which I KNOW you love to do with these papers), watch The Sacrifice and write about how Bergman influenced Tarkovsky's vision in that film.
    Of course, this will present a new problem: after watching THE SACRIFICE you will be compelled to watch SOLYARIS, STALKER, ANDREI RUBLEV and any other glacially slow yet brilliant Tarkovsky flick you can get your hands on, thus consuming valuable essay writing time.

Comment

BTW, what did you think of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA? If you ever run out of 3+ hour long movies to watch let us know, we will assign you more homework

Comment

Didn't he fall asleep like forty minutes into it?

(Wait, did I just throw Studios under the bus? I think I did. In fact... Yep, I can see his mangled remains from here.)

Comment

(Wait, did I just throw Studios under the bus? I think I did. In fact... Yep, I can see his mangled remains from here.)
          Someone needs to edit it down into 42 minute chunks with LOST intros.

Comment

Comment

I would suggest checking out THE SILENCE & CRIES & WHISPERS... just keep the lights on when you fall asleep. These aren't feel good movies.

Comment

Re: Best Ingmar Bergman Films

Then, of course, there's THE DOVE:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X2QmLWWxq4

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I did, and then I got distracted an didn't finish it. The good thing is, I was really enjoying it before I dozed off -- much more than I had when I was an impetuous young freshman. And don't think that me falling asleep during a movie as a bad thing. I always have the forethought to pause it, crawl under the covers, and then drift off. I never actually fall asleep as it's playing. Usually my tiredness just gets the better of me because I tend to watch TV and films lying down. I'll finish it some other time when I don't have to worry about a 15 page thesis paper about one of cinema's greatest directors.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Maybe you could spice up your presentation with his quote about Godard:

I've never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a fVcking bore. He's made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin FĂ©minin, was shot here in Sweden. It was mind-numbingly boring.

Comment

I love Bergman's vicious takes on other filmmakers. Bergman on Antonioni:

"Fellini, Kurosawa and Bunuel move in the same field as Tarkovsky. Antonioni was on his way, but expired, suffocated by his own tediousness."

"He's done two masterpieces, you don't have to bother with the rest. One is Blow-Up, which I've seen many times, and the other is La Notte, also a wonderful film, although that's mostly because of the young Jeanne Moreau. In my collection I have a copy of Il Grido, and damn what a boring movie it is. So devilishly sad, I mean. You know, Antonioni never really learned the trade. He concentrated on single images, never realising that film is a rhythmic flow of images, a movement. Sure, there are brilliant moments in his films. But I don't feel anything for L'Avventura, for example. Only indifference. I never understood why Antonioni was so incredibly applauded. And I thought his muse Monica Vitti was a terrible actress."

Comment

Wow, suddenly I think Bergman may just have been a badass.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

You know it. Bergman on Orson Welles:

"For me he's just a hoax. It's empty. It's not interesting. It's dead. Citizen Kane, which I have a copy of - is all the critics' darling, always at the top of every poll taken, but I think it's a total bore. Above all, the performances are worthless. The amount of respect that movie's got is absolutely unbelievable. Aghed: How about The Magnificent Ambersons? Bergman: Nah. Also terribly boring. And I've never liked Welles as an actor, because he's not really an actor. In Hollywood you have two categories, you talk about actors and personalities. Welles was an enormous personality, but when he plays Othello, everything goes down the drain, you see, that's when he's croaks. In my eyes he's an infinitely overrated filmmaker."

Comment

Bergman's own dirty secret when it comes to the quality of his films, in my opinion, was that his dialogue works when it's being read off subtitles or in a script, but if you know Swedish it has the rhythmic flow of someone reading Kierkegaard aloud. He also had all his actors enunciate as if they were on stage. Unless you're one who regularly visits Swedish theatre, it takes a while to get used to as a Scandinavian.

Trust me, if they dubbed Serpent's Egg into Swedish and slapped some subtitles on it, it would be thought of as one of his forgotten masterpieces.
                            Last edited by Mountain Goat; 12-18-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X