No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to Make it in America

Originally posted by SI_NYC View Post
    The idea behind it is pretty solid, I wish it had been handed off to a group that knew how to execute it the point of believability.
    Where's the solid idea behind it?

I'm of the opposite opinion, I think the execution is solid, but the concept is lacking. Bunch of 20-somethings living and working in NYC just doesn't seem to be enough to fuel a TV series. Needs something more to pique the interest week after week.

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post

I'm of the opposite opinion, I think the execution is solid, but the concept is lacking. Bunch of 20-somethings living and working in NYC just doesn't seem to be enough to fuel a TV series. Needs something more to pique the interest week after week.
      Dude, you just described Friends.
      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
        Dude, you just described Friends.
        Friends had a hook, albeit not a strong one, in that it was three (actually only two, but the third was there all the time) very attractive 20ish females living across the hall from three reasonably attractive 20ish males (same) who are all friends ... a contained situation with volatile (as in provocative) personality traits sparking off one another.

Plus it was a flat-out comedy, packed with jokes, whereas HOW TO MAKE IT IN AMERICA is going for a dramedy feel. So, for its appeal, it's relying in large part upon taking you to someplace interesting. ENTOURAGE takes you inside the movie biz. CSI takes you inside the forensics biz. HOUSE takes you inside a life-or-death hospital. Where does HOW TO MAKE IT IN AMERICA take you? A bunch of apartments in the lower east side? With some regular dude as your guide?

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post

From what i read, they were attempting to tell a modern day Ralph Lauren story, hustling from out of what they are selling as the trendy Lower East Side. It might have worked if the characters had some depth and you had any sense that the people writing it had done anything beyond driving through the neighborhood with the windows up and trying to create an entourage parallel in the garment business. Which is unfortunate because just walking down the street (assuming you aren't afraid of the social security recipeients in the vladek houses) and taking in the scene is seriously more entertaining than either the story lines or the picture of the neighborhood that was painted.

Comment

This show had some potential, but it kind of went a different route than I expected it too. I don't know if I will watch next season.
            Excedrin Migraine. Red Bull. Fade in.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

Just read this got picked up for another season.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleWriter View Post
                Just read this got picked up for another season.
                Not surprising, I would imagine they are getting the group of viewers they are after. It is on my give up list when it returns, Friends had more street cred than this sjow. .

Comment

I'm not sure how you can compare this to Friends, except maybe the location. Friends was just so g*dd*mn nerdy, with Schwimmer constantly doing his big-eyed stretch face and all of them dancing around la-dee-da. Friends was student council comedy, what book smart achievers typically find funny in their social bubbles. To me, it's just icky and constantly irritating. Pretty much like any canned comedy, actually.

How To... needs to up the conflict and not have everything resolve so easily at the end of each episode. It has a chance to find its legs now that it's been renewed. They have to give the lead more of a personality - he needs to get upset, show some emotion, something. That said, I'd watch this type of show over Friends any day.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh View Post
                    I'm not sure how you can compare this to Friends, except maybe the location. Friends was just so g*dd*mn nerdy, with Schwimmer constantly doing his big-eyed stretch face and all of them dancing around la-dee-da. Friends was student council comedy, what book smart achievers typically find funny in their social bubbles. To me, it's just icky and constantly irritating. Pretty much like any canned comedy, actually.

How To... needs to up the conflict and not have everything resolve so easily at the end of each episode. It has a chance to find its legs now that it's been renewed. They have to give the lead more of a personality - he needs to get upset, show some emotion, something. That said, I'd watch this type of show over Friends any day.

Bill
                    The Friends comparison was sarcasm, (both shows used some NY background, appear to have come out of the same cliche handbook, and are categorized as comedies and I don't think you will find many people who think they are consistantly funny). My initial impression was I thought it would be comparable to Entourage, but I thought it meandered into becoming a sort of an Entourage extra light for an even younger less demanding audience. On the other hand, I would speculate they probably are not after the same audience that expects a Curb or Wire standard of comedy or drama, so if it was renewed they probably still got the viewers that they wanted and you would think it would run for a while (even as is).

Comment

Working...
                    X