Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Scriptman
Regular

Default New Line Cinema - Fold it or sell it?

Of course this idea has been thrown around for some time, and might be old news to some. But according IMDB News, Time Warner CEO Jeffrey Bewkes would like to shut down New Line Cinema and fold it into Warner Bros. or sell it to someone like former Warner Bros co-chairman Terry Semel who failed at Yahoo.

Whatever happens, hopefully it won't disrupt the The Hobbit. Down below are a couple of links explaining the situation.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...w-line-changes

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...ng-at-new-line
Scriptman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Archive

Default Re: New Line Cinema - Fold it or sell it?

In terms of the backlog titles, obviously folding it is the wiser move. You know they want to hang onto LOTR and the substantial New Line horror library for the format wars and beyond.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Archive

I'm pretty sure there was never any serious discussion about selling - but I heard a good deal about restructuring and new management, like Bewkes. His paystubs were always going to say Warner on them, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by Archive : 02-07-2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
Scriptman
Regular

It sort of reminds me of the tug-of-war between Columbia Pictures and TriStar Pictures of the mid to late '90s. Two studios under the same umbrella, with similar identities, competing for production on same genre of movies. At the time, Columbia was rolling out movies like The Fifth Element, Air Force One, Men in Black. TriStar was busy pushing out Godzilla, My Best Friend's Wedding, Zorro and Stepmom. Hence, similar identities.

Sony then decided that it didn't make any sense to have two studios vying for the same types of films. So it folded TriStar into Columbia -- something they had been wanting to do for a long time. Fast forward to the present and we see TriStar is trying to make a comeback, producing and co-producing films with a more modest budget.

I would like to think even if New Line folded, Time Warner would restructure and resurrect it as a specialty division like Sony's Screen Gems or Universal's Rogue Pictures.
Scriptman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
j over

I will be sad if New Line goes into the great studio beyond.
j over is offline   Reply With Quote