Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many reps, but who to query?

I write comedy for both page and screen. I am represented by a credible literary agent in the book trade, but need to find representation for screenwriting. It is my understanding that it might be in my best interest to first find a manager. Or an agent. Or a unicorn.

Because I write long and short form comedy (feature/sitcom/sketch), I'm not clear on what kind of query to compose to a potential manager. Feature spec pitch? Sample sketch pitches? I'm open to working in all forms, but what do managers want to see?

It is not difficult to find lists of management companies, such as right here on DDP, or at Gerard "How to lose friends and alienate enemies" Jones' site. Other than randomly targeting reps whose names sound easy to pronounce at an awards cemerony, does anyone have tips on how to drill down to reps who might be most receptive to what I do?

I'm coming at this as a writer who specializes in comedy in several forms, among which screenplays are one; rather than as a general practitioner versatile in many genres. Are there reps who specialize?

Reading these boards has me feeling like a blind man at an orgy. By groping around enough I might just grab onto something interesting.

thanks,
    Aaron
    iwritefunny.com

Re: So many reps, but who to query?

So far the only answer I have is try to be places where agents and managers specifically go so they can meet writers -- places like conferences, etc. And then you go and you meet them. Probably they will realize you're a nice person and maybe they'll consider your query when you send it later.

Chris Eska won an Independent Spirit Award for his (COMPLETED!) movie and he didn't even have an agent yet. So who knows.

Comment

The credible literary agent you already have in the book trade should be able to refer you to credible film lit agents and managers. You'll get more results from that than through cold queries.

Comment

Beagle,
        I suggest the unicorn option, but definitly don't bring that to an orgy.

I PM'd you an example query letter I've used and have been fairly successful with--i.e. I've received a handful of read requests for my script. My guess is that agents/managers don't care what you write in a query as long as the logline sparks an interest.

Also, just what the other folks said, use your lit agent for introductions and leads.

Matt
        If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Managers and agents want to see whatever it is they think they can sell. And most reps do specialize. The easiest thing to do is to look up past/recent sales that are in the same vein/genre/form as yours and query those reps who made those deals happen.

Comment

If you have a unicorn - any agent or manager can sell it - they'll want to know what else you have.

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
              If you have a unicorn - any agent or manager can sell it - they'll want to know what else you have.
              If you have a unicorn, the next thing you should have is a pegasus. They wouldn't know how to sell a loch ness monster or a yeti.
              -------

I didn't have time to write a short script so I wrote a long one instead.

Comment

Originally posted by edamame View Post
                If you have a unicorn, the next thing you should have is a pegasus. They wouldn't know how to sell a loch ness monster or a yeti.
                I really think we're getting off topic here. Bottom line is unicorns are definitly the most marketable creature. Pegasuses (pegasusi?) are a bitch to clean up after, yeti's smell like dirty wet dogs and everybody knows there's no such thing as the loch ness monster.

Comment

I agree with whoever said to have your book agent contact film/tv agents on your behalf, this way your submission is not un-solicited. You will have a much better chance of having your material read this way.

Good luck!
                  "PC lobe letter? What the f*%k does that mean?"

Comment

Originally posted by beagle72 View Post
                    I write comedy for both page and screen. I am represented by a credible literary agent in the book trade, but need to find representation for screenwriting. It is my understanding that it might be in my best interest to first find a manager. Or an agent. Or a unicorn.
                    Go for the unicorn

Seriously, have you talked with your lit agent? Many lit agents have casual arrangements with film agents and managers. He/she should be able to put you in touch with someone who could either rep you or, if they're not interested, they'd probably at least chat with you since your So-and-so's client
                    If you have someone on the set for the hair, why would you not have someone for the words?
                    Louis Malle

Comment

I REALLY have to learn to read the entire thread before posting ....

:::thwack:::
                      If you have someone on the set for the hair, why would you not have someone for the words?
                      Louis Malle

Comment

Originally posted by abiqua View Post
                        The credible literary agent you already have in the book trade should be able to refer you to credible film lit agents and managers. You'll get more results from that than through cold queries.
                        Typically the twain rarely meets. Most literary agents are associated with script agents, i.e. agents based in L.A. who represent the film rights of literary properties, and who rarely also manage or have individual clients (there are exceptions, of course).

My two careers have followed two very separate paths, though my first film agent in the UK was associated with the man who became my first literary agent.

Comment

I don't understand why anyone would want an agent in the first place if they already have a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by mtoomey View Post
                            I don't understand why anyone would want an agent in the first place if they already have a unicorn.
                            Good point.

Funny story about a unicorn: Until very recently, I worked in advertising. Years ago, one of my coworkers was on a pre-pro call with a client about a commercial that had a unicorn in it. They were going through all the details when the client suddenly asked "So will this be a real unicorn?"

Talk about an awkward moment! I guess the answer was something about using a pony, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X