No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Producer Wants To Move Forward, But Asks If I Can Invest

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I've searched the threads and couldn't find one quite related to what I'm about to ask.

I've been in contact with a production company and they seem to be interested in my script and say that it has a lot of potential. Apparently he's got notes on adjustments that need to be made to the script and has connections to financiers, directors, and actors that would fit my script. According to IMDb this seems to be true.

This producer seems to want to move forward, but asks if I am in a position to invest $10K in the company "just to get started" and so that they are "not working for free". Is that a thing? There hasn't been a mention of an option/purchase or anything yet, should I bring that up? What do I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Help! Producer Wants To Move Forward, But Asks If I Can Invest

Originally posted by Edward View Post
    This producer seems to want to move forward, but asks if I am in a position to invest $10K in the company "just to get started"...
    What do I do?!
    Simply say, "No. Are you?"

Comment

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I've searched the threads and couldn't find one quite related to what I'm about to ask.

I've been in contact with a production company and they seem to be interested in my script and say that it has a lot of potential. Apparently he's got notes on adjustments that need to be made to the script and has connections to financiers, directors, and actors that would fit my script. According to IMDb this seems to be true.

This producer seems to want to move forward, but asks if I am in a position to invest $10K in the company "just to get started" and so that they are "not working for free". Is that a thing? There hasn't been a mention of an option/purchase or anything yet, should I bring that up? What do I do?

Run away. Run away fast. There is not a single LEGITIMATE producer on earth that would ask for this. Do not do it. You will never see your money or your film made. Don't do business with this person.

Comment

Thanks for the replies DangoForth and EdFury. Yeah... that's what my gut was telling me... you two have just confirmed my doubts. Well, that's depressing, haha. Anyways, thanks again for your responses!

Comment

That producer or whatever he is supposed to be has a pair of balls on him to even ask you that. Wow.
          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I'm really glad you asked here. Because con men like this truly disgust me. As Ed and others said, run. Fast. And you ought to post who they are here so others know to avoid them. No sense in not shaming thieves.
            Last edited by CthulhuRises; 12-17-2014, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
              I'm really glad you asked here. Because con men like this truly disgust me. As Ed and others said, run. Fast. And you ought to post who they are here so others know to avoid them. No sense in shaming thieves.
              I agree. If this guy really asked you for 10k because HE doesn't work for free when not paying you for your hard work, then post his name. You have no idea how despicable that is.

Comment

Please come back and tell us how he responds.

Comment

Hi everyone,

What do you do?

You put their name in this thread so they don't rip anyone off and you start a new thread with the name of the company and disclose this so that people are warned.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                    What do you do?

You put their name in this thread so they don't rip anyone off and you start a new thread with the name of the company and disclose this so that people are warned.
                    Yes. Not just this OP, but in general, I'd love to see more community spirit. Not just, "Is this a scam? Okay, thanks. Bye."

Take a penny, leave a penny. Find a fraud, report a fraud.

Comment

Normally this is all we hear when you ask someone to name drop after an attempted scam.
                      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Money flows *towards* the writer.

Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Oh wow, sorry everyone. I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but didn't get any email notifications for your replies.

Anyways, I replied to the guy pretty much saying "no" and that I am looking for a producer to option/purchase the script. I'll update you with his response, if I get one.

I must admit I feel a little hesitant/nervous about revealing his name/company... but I trust everyone on here, so hopefully this doesn't come around and bite me in the butt, haha.

His name is Eric Charles Wilkinson of Apothecary Films.

Comment

Oh wow, sorry everyone. I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but didn't get any email notifications for your replies.

Anyways, I replied to the guy pretty much saying "no" and that I am looking for a producer to option/purchase the script. I'll update you with his response, if I get one.

I must admit I feel a little hesitant/nervous about revealing his name/company... but I trust everyone on here, so hopefully this doesn't come around and bite me in the butt, haha.

Looks like he wrote/is co-producing a film with Cassian Elwes and Michael Benaroya...surprising. Just goes to show that (as mentioned in another recent thread), sometimes they even have legit credits...

Comment

Don't worry -- you won't get a response. Thanks for sharing the name.

Comment

Working...
                              X