No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Likes the Ladies???

i knew that'd get you guys in here.

anyhoo -- what's your favorite flick(s) with female protagonists... and why?

and i'm not saying just make a list. i wanna know which ones are so good you wish you had written it yourself... or at least a flick that every time it comes on tv you feel compelled to watch it b/c it's just that good... or at least something about it is just that good. what is it?

btw - and any of you jokers who say, NONE -- i'm just gonna assume you're a woman-hating boy toy. you still may be a woman hater but... i'm just sayin'...

Re: Who Likes the Ladies???

Just to confirm, this doesn't include adult films?

-MT
    If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Natalie Portman for "The Professional." But I guess she wasn't exactly the protag. Do two-handers count?

Meryl Streep in everything she does, particularly in "A Cry In The Dark."

Frances McDormand in "Blood Simple."

Uma in "Kill Bill."

Sigourney Weaver in "Alien/s."

Comment

Frances McDormand in Fargo. All-time favourite chick role, made all the more awesome because she was heavily pregnant throughout (the character, not the actor) and it had no bearing on the plot at all.
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

Sally Field in NORMA RAE

Diana Ross in LADY SINGS THE BLUES (Diana really looked like she was on smack)

Reese Witherspoon in FREEWAY

Goldie Hawn in SUGARLAND EXPRESS

Glenn Close in FATAL ATTRACTION

Sissy Spacek in COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER

Alright let me quit before I buy a purse by accident.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Uma Thurman in Kill Bill, Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs and The Brave One

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
              I love the idea that liking women somehow makes you less of a man.
              sigpic

Website
              Tweets
              Book

Comment

Jus' jokes, nic. Jus' jokes.
                "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Me too, rosco.
                  sigpic

Website
                  Tweets
                  Book

Comment

Jennifer Lawrence WINTER'S BONE -she was so perfect as the "in over her head" naifette(?)
                    Jamie Lee Curtis HALLOWEEN - she created the mold that the 80s tried to pour so many young girls into
                    Glenn Close DAMAGES - this character is so complex, just when you're about to hate her you find a soft side
                    Emma Stone EASY A - she is who Lindsay Lohan should have been, the modern girl next door
                    Charlize Theron NORTH COUNTRY - she kept the film going when I wanted to throw in the towel and apologize to every woman I ever met
                    Patricia Tallman NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990) - Barbara is coming to get you, motherfvckers!
                    Kate Winslett ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND - she had a mesmerizing hotness in this film that I couldn't forget
                    Jennifer Connelly LABYRINTH - had such a sweet innocence for this fairy tale, and that got lost when Aronofsky wrecked that sh!t
                    Jodie Foster SILENCE OF THE LAMBS - feminist theory created a layer of appreciation to this film that I had never considered.
                    Last edited by Kermet Key; 01-24-2011, 01:59 AM.
                    "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Ha, Nikee, I thought it was too cool a title for a romantic comedy!

Um, are you ready for these? I'll warn you in advance should you decide to check these flicks out...

Baise Moi

Martyrs

And on a tamer note:

Azumi

Female Prisoner: Scorpion

The Machine Girl

And Scarlet Johansson... for great justice!

Sorry that I couldn't state any American films off the top of my head (The Brave One was crap - and who the hell put that sex-scene in there?), but Salt really was a bag of shite.
                      Last edited by Grandmaster; 01-24-2011, 01:26 AM.
                      Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Hollywood doesn't like female protagonists.

Neither do I.
                        2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Comment

GM - it would be a cool title... for a thriller! lol!

anyhoo - based on your first 2 titles i can see why you didn't like the brave one... which i loved btw. combining a revenge drama with arthouse flavor was nice. black swan comes to mind - a thrilling ballerina story.

Comment

Originally Posted by roscoegino
                            Originally posted by nic.h View Post
                            I love the idea that liking women somehow makes you less of a man.
                            yeah, you got it wrong. if you don't like the ladies it makes you less of a man. you're all man, roscoe

the more you respect strong ladies the stronger you are as a man.

that's my opinion and there's nothing you can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucha Scribre View Post
                              Hollywood doesn't like female protagonists.

Neither do I.
                              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Working...
                              X