Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how WOULD you write a query letter?

Just wondering. I read the thread about how NOT to do it. I have my way which has been slightly successful. So what has worked, and worked well, for you guys?

Opty

I think the most important part of a query is the first paragraph---the first sentence!

I've heard and read writers should start with introductory things such as, "I'd like to introduce you to..." or "I'm writing to you because I understand you are looking for..." etc.

I've also heard to kick right in with the logline.

I think an effective beginning is something that IMMEDIATELY separates your query from the heaping pile it just came from.

I try to lead with a hook---a portion of moving/compelling/shocking/thought-provoking dialogue from the script or a statement about the theme of the story that GRABS their attention.

I say show your writing skills, your creativity, from the very beginning...at least they may actually read the rest of the letter with curiosity and interest.

Comment

I think it should be along the lines of:
      Agent Name
      Address Blah
      CityBlah, CA 66666

Dear Whozywhatsis:

LOGLINE GOES HERE.

My latest screenplay, TITLE HERE, is about SHORT PITCH GOES HERE

I would like to send TITLE OF SCRIPT GOES HERE to you. I look forward to your reply. (Or some such thing)

Sincerely,
      D. Esperate

That simple, but make sure that your log line and pitch are SO F'ING STELLAR that if you walked down the street chanting it, it would work like you were the Pied Piper of Hamlin.

AGhost

Comment

If I wrote THE SIXTH SENSE (I know I'm dreaming), my query would kick off like this-

Dear ___:

"I see dead people."
        -kid's name

Brief introductory pitch paragraph.

Title: Genre
        Logline

Short synopsis

Brief paragraph highlighting writing credentials, subject expertise, etc.

Brief closing paragraph asking for consideration and thanking them for their time.

Comment

Working...
        X