Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House of Cards, Season 3

Just finished watching this. I'm a fan of the show, but I thought this season lost much of the momentum of prior seasons. Now that Frank has achieved the Presidency, what's left? It gained some zing back with the run up to the election toward the end, especially with Molly Parker's character, but I thought WAY too much time was spent on the Doug Stamper/Rachel thread which got dreary and distracting. Robin Wright was amazing. I wish there were more time spent on showing how she became so conflicted about her role in Frank's life -- it felt disjointed.

Late Night Writer

Re: House of Cards, Season 3

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
    Just finished watching this. I'm a fan of the show, but I thought this season lost much of the momentum of prior seasons. Now that Frank has achieved the Presidency, what's left? It gained some zing back with the run up to the election toward the end, especially with Molly Parker's character, but I thought WAY too much time was spent on the Doug Stamper/Rachel thread which got dreary and distracting. Robin Wright was amazing. I wish there were more time spent on showing how she became so conflicted about her role in Frank's life -- it felt disjointed.

Late Night Writer
    Yeah, I think most people agree that this season wasn't up to par with the first two. The main joy of watching the first two was seeing Frank fight to achieve what he wants. When you're the most powerful man in the world, there's nothing really left to fight for, and any other goals seem small by comparison. I think the only way to get it back on track would be to have him lose his re-election bid.

And yeah, I found the Doug Stamper storyline insufferable. He was never meant to have that much of the spotlight.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Re: House of Cards, Season 3

I like Doug Stamper as an interesting, twisted character (I usually like those) but I thought the story they gave him didn't work. Or maybe it just didn't work WITH him. The brother thing happened, which was boring, because Doug was never going to renounce his ways and go get a picket fence so there was no suspense, and then That Girl thing... that was so pointless. I mean it literally ended with no point. Will he find her? Will he? Oh yes. Of course. And now she's dead. He thought about letting her live... but no. He killed her. Mokay. I guess I saw the potential for a cool Doug line, but this just didn't do it for me.
      Last edited by Holly_Kyle; 10-28-2015, 03:33 AM.
      It's so nice to be insane
      No one asks you to explain
      -Helen Reddy

Comment

Working...
      X