Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear the Walking Dead

I know the majority on here despise TWD (and after watching the reruns I now can understand why) but have you checked out this new show? I think the dynamic is completely different than TWD and I like the characters way more.

Re: Fear the Walking Dead

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like TWD way more than the the new one. Part of the problem with FWD is being ten steps ahead of the characters at all times. We know what's coming and why, and it kills the suspense.

As for characters, I like Kim Dickens (she's great in everything, really), but hate her heroin addict son (three days without dope and no withdrawals?). He's just obnoxious. And her boyfriend is a snooze. The daughter's okay, but she has little to do outside pining for her boyfriend. I don't know if I'll hang with this the whole way.

Comment

I love the original, though 16 episodes a season stretches things too far. I quite like the new one, too. Nice to see city scenes, which are rare in TWD.

I was interested to see the dad is a Kiwi, the daughter an Aussie and son English (real life son of Stannis Baratheon!). But glad to see a few American actors got work, too
      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

The majority of people on here don't like the number one TV show? I don't think that's accurate.

I haven't watched Fear because I'm trying not to get hooked on another show and a prequel in the same world does not get me excited at all.

Comment

I liked it a lot. What's the beef?
          http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

I'm a big Walking Dead fan, so the tease of watching the world fall apart is enough to keep me going. My biggest problem so far is that I just don't care about any of the characters. They seem to be too much on the periphery. I liked seeing the son go to the protest about the homeless guy shot by the police, but wouldn't it have been better if one of the characters had more of a connection to the guy or the scene? Instead of just showing up to film it? I really liked the high school kid who seem to be aware of what was happening, but everyone dismissed him. I'd rather watch that kid than anyone in the family. And I couldn't care less about the drug addict. Not because he's a drug addict. They just haven't given me any reason to care.

Mostly I'm just watching for the moments when the family gets out of the way.

Comment

I just hope they manage to maintain the sense that there's actually a society with rules, and an expectation of decency that is not easily overcome.

It's one thing if someone flips out due to fear and has a fist fight over the last can of peaches in the grocery store. It's another thing if someone decides a week after the outbreak "Ah screw it- I'm going to forget about clearing zombies and just start eating my neighbors."

I'll be unforgiving if the soldier played by Shawn Hatosy (who seems to get sadly stuck playing a never-ending string of morons) gets precipitously violent in his pursuit of Ophelia. I'll be even more less forgiving if Sergeant Golf decides to go on much more of a power trip and starts shooting people for wising off.

I'll be unforgiving if Flashlight Man turns out to be a zombie with mirror shades on or whatever and the only payoff for trekking up there is losing a main character. I'll be even less forgiving if it's a Governor type collecting hostages or whatever.

Ugh...

Comment

Spoilers!

Well that was actually more interesting than I thought it was going to get.

I wonder what kind of masochist you have to be to traumatize yourself scraping skin off prisoners during a war, and then spend your retirement years in an old school barber shop? Daniel's barber shop is 100% the kind of place where the barber takes a razor to your sideburns.

In the end- the Shawn Hatosy character's desire to do harm to the Salazars was earned.

I thought for sure Liza was going to try to kill Madison. Their rivalry could have supported that kind of thing eventually. But the season took the high road out, as did Liza.

I think they missed an opportunity with Griselda Salazar's death. She could have re-animated at least a little bit to throw a bigger scare into Liza about how precipitous the re-animation process is. I think that would have made it easier for her to decide so early that she wanted to be taken out.

With her family there, it's hard to imagine her not trying to enjoy a last day at least. The group collectively ought to know from Maestro Harrell's too-quick tenure that the infection is a slow burn.

Strand is clearly designed to give you the jitters. It'll be interesting to see if he goes full governor on those under his roof.
                - - - - - - -
                Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

It didn't have a wow factor for me, but it was OK, so I'll give next season a go.

Hard to see how they are going to prevent it becoming a copy of the original from here, though.
                  TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I agree- Private Shawn was well motivated to get revenge. Though if I was him I'd have written off the plan as sure to get Daniel killed. With that much chaos, I'd have made priority one getting the hell out of L.A.

I guess he could have combined both motives showing up at the hospital like that.

I'm glad the army's turn wasn't just a power trip gone wrong a-la The Governor. In the end, they were scared they couldn't hold the city and made plans to withdraw. A sh|tty thing not to warn the populace, but still within the bounds of comparatively normal behavior.

I think this season ended better than season one of TWD at least.

The only thing that really bums me out is that we lost track of Madison. I would have found a female leader refreshing. But in the end it's really Travis that has the arc. Given the opportunity to euthanize old Susan the neighbor, he balks. Given the gun to shoot coffee shop zombie, he balks. Then gives in and shoots Liza. That could have been way more powerful, actually.

Also, had a fairly powerful moment in losing it on Private Shawn... but I think the directing let him down.

Madison certainly showed great promise as a leader. At least, within the family unit. Her reaction to finding out what Daniel did to the soldier was priceless. She also took to euthanize zombie Susan. And she took leadership in busting into the school to get meds. But did anyone else feel like it petered out for her character?

Such a bummer.

PS: Did I miss something or did we never actually find out who, if anyone, was shining a reflection from that house on the far hill? I feel like that sequence motivated Madison to go exploring and she saw bodies and turned around and they forgot about Shiney Shinerson.
                    Last edited by Buzz2074; 10-08-2015, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz2074 View Post
                      PS: Did I miss something or did we never actually find out who, if anyone, was shining a reflection from that house on the far hill? I feel like that sequence motivated Madison to go exploring and she saw bodies and turned around and they forgot about Shiney Shinerson.
                      I believe soldiers killed whoever was in the house. The Dad saw a bunch of gun shots while sitting on the roof - or at least thats how I remember it. Which happened after Dad reported the lights to the commander.
                      826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Working...
                      X