Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Spec feature biz is dead" - manager

What do you think of this quote I got while trading e-mails with a manager?

Should we all start writing video games?

Re: "Spec feature biz is dead" - manager

If he was my manager, I'd be depressed. If he was just a manager giving advice, I'd still be depressed. We all know it's not great for the spec market. It's not dead. But I can't write Smurfs 3 unless I sell a spec, so what else can we do?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      If he was my manager, I'd be depressed. If he was just a manager giving advice, I'd still be depressed. We all know it's not great for the spec market. It's not dead. But I can't write Smurfs 3 unless I sell a spec, so what else can we do?
      Also - you can't have a Smurfs 3 without a Smurfs 1

Comment

I think he/she is an idiot.

Keep writing.

Comment

This manager has done you a great favor. They've made your decision not to work with them incredibly easy. Good luck to he/she with his/her client list of writers who don't write on spec. HA.
          Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

It's not dead, it's just damn hard.

Scoggins Report puts the sales between 50-120ish or so each year for the last half decade. Each one of those represents a new opportunity for a writer to break in.

Don't let people get you down about the market, just focus on writing something great.
            Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

Have to say, nothing makes me more sure something is due for an uptick in this town than someone declaring it dead. My own humble opinion, though.

Comment

Writing...

Comment

Then what do you need him for? Go find someone who doesn't think working for you is pointless.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

What I don't understand is, why is it dead?

There are only so much sequels, remakes, vampire, special effects blockbusters you can make.

Rather, shouldn't this be the time where spec features are in higher demand? Not just any script, but good ones with original content that can be made within a 25 mill budget that could gross 75-100 mill worldwide.

That's just my opinion at least. Harvey Weinstein, take notes lol.

Comment

The manager who said that is dead to me.

Comment

My agent wanted me to drop my manager because (manager) was so caught up in having me write another spec for the market, even though I'd had a couple of scripts that hadn't sold but had generated me a ton of meetings with prod cos and studios.

Agent "It's about building relationships and getting you credits. Selling specs for big bucks sounds great but it's a lottery not a career."
                        Last edited by Mintclub; 08-21-2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

I take it this is a comment from a manager who hasn't sold anything in a while...

EJ

Comment

I believe there have been nearly seventy reported spec sales so far this year.

Take everything with a fine grain of salt.
                            "...it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times."
                            --Franz Kafka "Investigations Of A Dog"

Comment

Originally posted by Gssstudios View Post
                              I believe there have been nearly seventy reported spec sales so far this year.
                              Problems is the vast majority... I repeat VAST majority of those reported sales are not SALES. They are 5K and less options to a variety of producers, indie financiers, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X