Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awards lunch at Austin worthwhile?

This will be my third Austin, but I've never been to the awards lunch.

I see they've made a few more tickets available.

Worth the $60 and why?

I already have a producers badge.
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Awards lunch at Austin worthwhile?

Reasons I have found it worth it:

-You get to see the awardees win their awards. You're right in the room there with them. If you've never been in that situation, that's kind of cool. (Johnny Depp has been there, Ron Howard, name your favorite honoree...)

-You get to see the AFF winners give speeches. If you've never heard a non-Oscar type speech, these are kind of interesting.

-You get to meet the people who DIDN'T win, and generally they're amazing. Nicholl Fellows, TV editors, filmmakers, etc.

-It's a nice room, fun atmosphere. You sit at a round table with 8-10 people (assigned seating) - usually one is a panelist (interesting, educational), one is probably up for an award, maybe a few other finalists, and a few regular civilians. You're sitting there for at least an hour, so you get to know people better than you might in line for a panel or whatever.

-The lunch itself is generally nice. It's a bit like wedding food -- pre-chosen. So you're rolling the dice if you're on a special diet - I think there's a vegetarian item usually. One time I remember there were churros.

Reasons I have chosen to skip it:

By Saturday, AFF can get pretty overwhelming. Sometimes it's nice to just take a break for a while.

Sometimes (like this year) there are a bunch of great panels at the same time.

$60 can be a lot if you're not sure you'll want to eat the food.

Overall, the best ones are when you really, really like the honorees. There are clip shows and then someone who has worked with them for a long time gives a speech and then gives the award.
    Last edited by cvolante; 10-06-2016, 09:29 AM. Reason: AFF≠AFS. Gotta keep myself outta trouble... :D

Comment

Re: Awards lunch at Austin worthwhile?

I guess I would echo most (if not all) of cvolante's reasons for possibly attending.

I've been fortunate enough to be a two-time finalist at Austin (won a few years ago) so keep that context in mind with my response... so when I've sat in the room, it might be a slightly different experience than a person simply interested in attending. That said, I did wonder to myself (on both occasions) if it would still be cool to attend, even if you're not in the running for an award. Personally, I think it would be... especially if you've never attended. I have a writer friend who attends AFF every year and without fail, she also attends the luncheon every year. She seems to have a blast... and it is kinda cool to see some of these bigger names speak to the crowd and look genuinely moved and pleased to be receiving a Bronze Typewriter. Just don't expect much from the food.

Now... in terms of seating and proximity to the front stage area, I suppose you'd be a little further back in the large room (maybe not), but I don't think that would detract from the experience. As a finalist, I know you find yourself seated arguably closer to the front at a table with randomly chosen people... some of whom are/were industry people or even panelists. I imagine the same would hold true for someone just wanting to attend... though maybe the starmeter number is a bit lower, the further toward the back of the room you go. Not sure.

Anecdotally, some of my fondest memories from the two times I attended were... watching and listening to the likes of Frank Darabont, Vince Gilligan, and (gasp) Susan Sarandon... accepting their awards. I did my best not to get overly starstruck, but if Susan Sarandon had asked me to carry her award for her, I would have bowed and complied without protest.

Hell, I say do it... at least one time.

Comment

Working...
      X