X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Three Act Structure (Part 2)

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Was it me?! Did I just lose a payday because of Bono?!
    I lose them all the time because of me too Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
      Go for it. While we're at it, we'll explore 5-Act structure, too. What the hell.
      Ah, now we're delving into TV territory.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I spent the day finishing a TV Pilot and read a feature/gave notes to someone on this board. So that's my update. I'll do more of that and less of this I guess. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
          Was it me?! Did I just lose a payday because of Bono?!
          Jeff, it's nice that you're putting your comedy skills to use. It was a very constructive insight, thanks. A big help.

Jeff, when you sell a script, which you have, more than one, congratulations by the way, you put $500,000 in the bank. There are non-pros who are struggling financially, more so now with the spreading virus.

These writers have completed TV scripts and feature screenplays that they would like to get some feedback on. Yes, they could ask or swap feedback with their non-pro peers, but don't you think if they had the money and an opportunity to get feedback from an award winning professional TV and feature writer, wouldn't you think they would want this?

Let me put this into perspective:

It's like saying a non-pro writer getting feedback on his TV script from a non-pro Done Deal member will be at the same level/quality as getting feedback from Jeff Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
            You mean personal attacks like what you directed at me in your Part 1 thread?

IMO, your "style" mutes discussion and you're quite capable of shooting personal zingers at members.
            sc111, it's convenient of you to post this quote, my attack on you, out of context.

You entered the (Part 1) thread, not to give your opinion on the traditional three act structure, but to personally attack me by saying I'm copying gurus and stating: "How is any of this useful?"

Don't you think you provoked my attack? When someone hits me, I'm gonna hit back. It's a defense. A natural human reflex.

sc111, don't you think if you felt my opinion on the topic was lacking, it would have been more constructive and beneficial to a new writer that instead of attacking me to have given your opinion on the topic that you believed would have been more of help to get an understanding across?

sc111, your "style" comment is out of context also. I just give my opinion on topics like everyone else. Sometimes I'll say, "In my opinion," or come straight out and say, "I'm not saying my opinion is right and your opinion is wrong" to get across that I'm not trying to bully a member to agree with me.

Members put their opinions out there on a topic. I just want to do the same.

If you look at my post #5 to finalact4, I bend over backwards to get it across that it's just my opinion. I'm not saying her opinion is wrong. I had to do this because in previous topic discussions, she accused me of trying to deny her of her opinion, so I was sensitive to her feelings about this.

Yes, when posts are directed at me that are not on topic, but are personal attacks, I'm gonna come at them -- hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              I literally tried to write the least offensive thing I could to not set you off but poke a little fun and I still failed.
              "poke a little fun"

Bono, if you look at your attempt at humor and Jeff's attempt, it's obvious why he's a professional writer and you're not.

"tried to write the least offensive thing"

Bono, why did you have to try? What was the purpose? To get across you didn't like my challenge? To insult me? To put me in my place, because you're the man?

Bono, I specifically mentioned in my challenged post that if there are any haters about this challenge you have the free will not to participate, or not to come back into the thread, but you felt it important to ignore that request and sidetrack the thread by personally attacking me with a cruel, sarcastic remark.

For those of you who don't know what the challenge was, sc111 mentioned the four act structure, so I asked if anyone could point out the flaw in the formulaic (that's right it's not a form; it's a formula) four act structure and for the person who could he would receive feedback from an award winning professional writer.

Bono, there are teachers and people who are pushing new writers to write with four acts. Don't you think it would have been educational to point out the problem with writing in four acts? (I'm not talking about writing in three acts with the second act broken in half. I'm talking about specifically designating Act 2's, 2A and 2B, as full fledge acts, 2 and 3. )

The way four acts is taught... because of a flaw, it's not gonna work 100% of the time for every writer. It's taught like it would, thus the reason why I consider it formulaic.
              Last edited by JoeNYC; 05-27-2020, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I got -- it if I want to make funnier jokes I better be a paid writer. And to make fun of someone's dream is a lot nicer than to make fun of someone's contest. Thanks for that!

Unrelated I started a contest last night where I gave notes for FREE to a member to help them with their script. They had a good solid 4 Act Structure -- same one I use when I'm writing the scripts that don't sell.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  There is nothing flawed about the four-act structure. It breaks the vastness of Act 2 into a more manageable and exciting act by allowing for amazing mid-point turns which many stories already have.

This is not something one must ponder for any length of time, simply add an event/turn halfway into the story that escalates the story either for the protagonist or against him.

And if you're really feeling SALTY give it a whiff of death!

I use four acts to structure my features. And if you haven't yet figured it out, that's where my call sign came from... FA4
                  It's easy to see how this works; most vehicles have four wheels on them and they roll along very well equipped that way.
                  “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                    It's like saying a non-pro writer getting feedback on his TV script from a non-pro Done Deal member will be at the same level/quality as getting feedback from Jeff Lowell.
                    So, I was the "non-pro writer" getting feedback from the "non-pro Done Deal member."

The feedback was VERY helpful. Issues were raised. Different possibilities came into play. Things that were strong were verified as such. Questions were asked that will lead to tweaking things, making them stronger and clearer. I cannot thank Bono enough for his generosity.

Also, it was a feature, not TV script. You are literally not even reading a post before wrongly attacking it.

It's fine if you don't respect anyone's opinion here. No one says you have to. But maybe take that hostile energy and put it toward writing and you'll be churning out pages. Because your goal is to be a writer, correct?

Comment

You should never get upset about what get says on this board. Even if what you think is a personal attack or rude. When it comes to art people have varying view points, and everyone's process is different. Everyone should enter this arena with learning the basics. There's nothing wrong with reading about and learning about the three act structure. It's a great place to start. At some point though you abandon referencing it in your process and rely on your gut on when and how things should unfold. You can break up story in as many parts as you want, its your story and its your process. I've read about the ten page structure where you write 12 parts ten pages each. Its a way of breaking down story into its pieces and writing one piece at a time.

The three act structure works best if the story relies heavily on an external journey, but the stories I read from aspiring writers are usually very internal and lack that external journey so the three act structure comes a long winded, examination of a character trait. I think that however best you can get that first version down on paper do it. Getting that initial draft out of you can be the toughest part, after that at least you have something to work with but now's when writers become writers and wannabes become wannabes in that development/rewrite stage where the story senses start tingling. This is where material comes alive or dies.

There's one absolute in screenwriting and that is the reader will get bored real fast. That we know for sure. Everything else is up for debate.

Comment

Thanks for that!
                        Doesn't feel so good when you're personally attacked, now does it, Bono?

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post

So, I was the "non-pro writer" getting feedback from the "non-pro Done Deal member." ... Also, it was a feature, not TV script. You are literally not even reading a post before wrongly attacking it.

It's fine if you don't respect anyone's opinion here. No one says you have to. But maybe take that hostile energy and put it toward [I]writing.
                          Oh my god, figment. Are you from Mars? I thought I was done with you.

The post you are highlighting had nothing to do with you. It was a generalization. I had no idea about you and Bono.

In your post #101, you go into how I LOVE to argue and posted a stupid Exhibit A and you said, you're out, but you keep coming back to argue with me. And what nerve you have to say, I don't respect anyone's opinion. Tell me where I told a DD member I didn't respect their opinion. I only gave my own opinions on a topic.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
                            Doesn't feel so good when you're personally attacked, now does it, Bono?

It didn't hurt me at all, Joe. I didn't try to hurt you in any way either. I make jokes sometimes. You took it way too hard. And it was a joke about a contest - not you the person or your talent -- so maybe consider that. I can be much much meaner and funnier if I wanted. I am being helpful and sometimes playful on this board. I am not alone in that. Have you read other posts on this board before? It's filled with 90% nonsense -- some of it from me.

If you look back, I'm one of the nicer people to you on this board -- so I don't know why you took it so hard -- a minute ago you wanted to trade scripts. Honestly I thought you got my sense of humor and would not be offended by such an obvious joke.

I would say, we're all good Joe. I've already moved on to ending of our movie - where we make up.

If you want to start a contest, start a new thread, I won't even look at it. Okay? Help out a fellow writer if you want. That was nice. Also I like Jeff Lowell better than me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyfress View Post

You should never get upset about what get says on this board. Even if what you think is a personal attack or rude.
                              What? Am I in The Twilight Zone?

Are you forgetting the Cyfress vs Jeff Lowell thread? It'll be interesting to see if you will turn the other cheek when they come after you with personal attacks.

Comment

I didn't try to hurt you in any way either. I make jokes sometimes.
                                Bono, let's be real. Your humor didn't fail because you're a bad comedy writer. Your offending, sarcastic remark to me was vicious because that's how you felt. That was your honest reaction. Everything after that is phony.

Here's some advice: If you happen to get an attitude about a topic being discussed, then leave the thread.

If you can do this, then there will be peace and love in the world.

Comment

Working...
                                X