What do you think of 'LOST' from a writers perspective?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of 'LOST' from a writers perspective?

I honestly loved Lost, and followed it for 6 years, watched every episode without fail and was heavily invested in it.

However IMO the final 3 or 4 episodes explained almost nothing of what they set up and it has left a very tainted impression of everything that has gone before it.

I used to think it was great writing, however, now I see it in a new light and I think it is actually very poor and lazy writing (in the end atleast).
    What's your opinion and why?

Re: What do you think of 'LOST' froma writers perspective?

what comes to mind is the old saying, "i'll one up ya"
    You only get one chance to rewrite it 100 times.

Comment

My thought is that for Season 1, it was one of the best written shows on television. They found a magnificent balance between telling stories of humanity and social interconnectivity, and presenting mysterious and suspenseful sci-fi elements. Season 2 was also pretty great as well. But from Season 3 on, they "lost" it. Pun intended. They lost track of their own writing and lost sight of the show's original intention. No writer should be praised for that. The show went from being a story about people on a mysterious island to being a story about a mysterious island with some people on it, most of whom were expendable. It lost its heart, soul, and intelligence in an attempt to present questions they had no intention of answering and be as "out there" as possible, with no regard for logic, characterization, actors, nor the audience.

In my mind, I'll always remember LOST as a show that, in the beginning, was one of the greatest shows in the history of television, but from mid way till the end, was one of the biggest jokes in the history of television. That's a massive plunge to take. And some may disagree, but the negative direction the writing took from Season 3 till the end is easily be reflected in the loss of numerous top cast members and massive drops in ratings.

Comment

rule one in storytelling, actually, rule fetus is. . . don't confuse your audience.

Comment

I think when you get into parallel universes and time travel people are easily confused and they want VERY CLEAR, VERY SPECIFIC answers which they are just not going to get. The way those things are explained doesn't necessarily fit the way people want it explained to them.

People who desperately want mysterious, mystical things explained are going to be disappointed.

Comment

I still think of LOST all the time and the characters are real to me like all great shows. If that's not great writing/storytelling -- then I don't know what is.

Comment

i don't think there is any question that lost is considered in most top 10 all time network shows?

everything after Cheers is a wash, but it's probably 5?

Comment

I liked the first two series, kinda liked the third but got bogged down by the forth with a sense of "they're trying to stretch this out to seven series" sort of feeling. Which is even harder to do as I missed watching it on TV so hired the dvds and could watch it uninterrupted by ads.

I think it suffered to some degree with what afflicted the Xfiles... the unwillingness to go too far and the willingness to ad diversions (polar bears, black smoke etc). Suspence is all well and good but suspence artificially carried over several years interrupted by ads (and real life) can be a pain in the arse.

I still haven't watched the rest, maybe one day when I see the whole series in the bargin bin somewhere I'll set myself up for a five day marathon???
                ________
                Honda gy6 engine specifications
                Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM.
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

... Chekhov... gun...
                  what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Season 1 blew me away. I was content with how it ended and I still consider it one of the better TV series of my time but they certainly weren't consistent throughout.

Comment

Great title. Told it all in one word...

Comment

Working...
                      X