Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost Famous

Just re-watched Almost Famous. Penny Lane has to be one of the best female characters written. The kind of girl every guy wants, and can't have. How did no one win an OSCAR for this movie? It's a toss up to me if this or Jerry Maguire is Crowe's best movie. Crowe needs to do more movies. I still need to check out We Got A Zoo.

Re: Almost Famous

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
    How did no one win an OSCAR for this movie?
    Someone did. Best Original Screenplay for Cameron Crowe.

Apparently, it had a better screenplay than GLADIATOR but wasn't a better film.

Comment

It did win best screenplay, good. It deserved it. It's hard to compare it to Gladiator both were great films.

Comment

I asked Cameron Crowe if Lester Bangs actually gave him that speech about both of them being uncool, and he told me yes he did. And then some.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of the best things in that movie.

I liked it a lot but "Jerry Maguire" to me was more solid structurally and tonally consistent. The plane crash, while entertaining, seemed like something out of a seventies sit com.

Comment

I went to the San Diego Film Festival a few weeks back -- they had an outdoor screening of "Almost Famous" (Crowe is a local boy).

Anyway, the woman who was the* inspiration for "Penny Lane" was there.

She gave a really sweet speech about how crazy things have gotten with everyone wanting to be famous -- and how we don't need to be famous, because we're fine just as we are. She seems quite content running her farm up in Portland. :-)

*There were two women who inspired the part, but it was mostly one (as far as I know).

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
            I still need to check out We Got A Zoo.
            You really don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Striver View Post
              You really don't.
              Agreed. It's an intergalactic free fall from Crowe's best work, IMO.

Comment

Kate Hudson won Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress and was nominated for Academy Award.

Comment

Working...
                X